Is Batman Overhyped?

I like Batman and the Batman family it’s just I feel it’s over hyped and that is making Batman overrated. There are 26 Batman centered animated movies not included the live action movies. To the 13 Superman animated movies not included the live action. I hope I’m not the only person feeling Batman burn out? So DC give Batman a break and please give other Hero’s a chance I would love a teen titans or
Flash animated movie.

Respect the S. @KAL-EL

5 Likes

I think Batman himself is a bit overdone, I’d love movies centered around his entourage (especially Terry McGinnis) though but I’m totally biased towards the bat family.

1 Like

Batman makes people feel smarter like a Chris Nolan movie (literally). Superman and the Dc universe is like Pacific Rim or high octane sci fi. It’s a good time but to some pompous viewers it just comes across as mindless. But really it’s a damn good time.

1 Like

Batman and the Bat-family is what got me into DC Superheroes and is what keeps me interested. Although I could see why someone who is not a big Batman fan would get tired of him getting so much attention and screen time. For me, I was never a big fan of Cyborg and got tired of him due to him being in the Teen Titans, Justice League and Doom Patrol.

3 Likes

Trying to be objective here. I share similar thoughts with you, but I ask myself, “If the tables were flipped and it was Superman getting all the focus, would it bother me?”. Honest answer is no it wouldn’t. I would gobble it all up. And I’m talking Superman. Imagine how fans of some of the less popular characters feel.

I’m a Batman fan, but not a big Bat family fan. If you add up all the Batman and Batman related comic books and merchandise, it definitely feels like a majority of what DC has to offer. I guess it’s their cash cow. I’ve kind of learned not to let it bother me so much, given that I genuinely like the character. I just don’t pick up what I don’t want to pick up, and let others enjoy what they like.

Would be great if Supes and Wondy got more Black Label books though. Batman got Last Knight on Earth, Damned, and Curse of the White Knight since Black Label started, not to mention the Batman adjacent Harely and Joker books. Superman got Year One and Wonder Woman got Dead Earth. Some more love for the rest of the Trinity would be nice :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

I mean, yeah. He hasn’t had any sort of sticking development in what’s felt like ages, and his modern character tends to be pretty unlikable under many writers. Add in the fact that DC likes to push him in everything, even at the expense of other characters, and that he constantly has multiple books going, while many other characters aren’t even appearing. So yeah, I definitely think he’s overrated, but hey, people can like what they like. I just wish more characters got the spotlight sometimes.

1 Like

I liked Batman as a child, but as he’s changed in the 90’s onward I’ve grown to disapprove of a lot of what he does. I love, love, love the family though. I’m particularly fond of Tim, Jean-Paul, and Cass.

4 Likes

Sometimes feels like the Bat family and Bat villains can be a universe in and of itself. One thing that would help me get into it more is if I can stop thinking of them as Batman derivatives, but I just can’t help myself.

2 Likes

I also cant blame DC and Warner Brothers for putting most of their attention on their biggest money earning comic book character. Also, as a massive Batman, Ill take as much as I can get.

2 Likes

Yeah that was kind of where I was going. They don’t necessarily need to reduce their Batman output. Just would be nice if they increased their other output, just a smidgen :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, especially Superman :wink:

2 Likes

I would like see more movies centered around other hero’s; heck I would take a Nightwing movie. I would love a young justice movie !

1 Like

It’s not as bad as it was in the late eighties to about 2010. It’s cooled down lately. but for a while…it was brutal.

In movies and stuff, I can understand. Batman sells; especially post-1989, But in the comics it was annoying to see writers go out of their way to make Batman so unlikeable. They also overcompensated, trying to have him stand above the other heroes because “he doesn’t have any powers” as if powers made the hero. He could never be wrong, he was rarely made to look weak, especially in big crossover events, and he would berate heroes like Superman in Infinite Crisis despite the fact that in that story he not only ignored Ted Kord’s warnings, but for the second time in how many years he got plans that HE made to take down other heroes stolen and used against him. Oh, remember when Hal Jordan punched Batman in Green Lantern:Rebirth? That and John Stewart calling Batman out on his nonsense was a cathartic moment for fans like me who were getting sick of jerk-Batman. But, the writers made sure Batman got his hit back on Jordan later on because heaven forbid someone got a one-up on Batman during that time period.

Stuff like that really made me dislike that iteration of Batman. It’s was feeding into the frenzy and part of that annoying wave in the 90’s where every team had that “badass” loner character (Wolverine, Raphael, Snake Eyes, Tommy from Power Rangers) who everyone glommed onto because they were “cool”

It seems these days we’re getting more of a balance with Batman sharing the spotlight with Superman and Wonder Woman again, but for that brief period it wasn’t fun.

2 Likes

Thanks for the history lesson! Now I must check it out just out of curiosity :joy:.

I am a huge Batman fan and I can’t say that I am burned out on Batman. That having been said, I think DC has overused the character in the media. There are so many other characters out there that DC could give attention to. I think a Flash animated movie. For that matter I think a Justice Society of America animated movie set entirely in the Golden Age would be really cool.

3 Likes

I would certainly scale back Batman and focus on quality of stories rather than quantity.

1 Like

My favorite Batman stories are a lot older. Even though comics are periodicals, I’m not usually focused on what’s happening “now”. 70’s, 80’s, some 90’s are kind of my favorite.

When did the bat market get flooded? Was it around Knightfall? Shortly after? Or did it all start around 1989?

Legends of the Dark Knight began in 1989. Shadow of the Bat started in 1992. At that point, DC had four books going on at once. On top of that, the Batman one-shots and miniseries started becoming more and more prominent. You had The Dark Knight Returns, Son of the Demon, The Killing Joke, The Cult, Gotham by Gaslight, and Arkham Asylum in the late 1980s, and then it just went overboard once the 90s arrived, starting with Digital Justice and Batman 3-D.

I love the amount of people with Superman avatars answering this question :laughing:

8 Likes

Everyone knows that Batman is the Friday the 13th to Superman’s Halloween. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes