Is Barbara Gordon Better as Batgirl or Oracle?

Let’s see what Community 2.0 thinks about this question

1 Like

I think vast majority of writers do not know how to write successful and plausible superhero stories featuring a disabled woman. Oracle was not an easy character to write and it was no surprise to me that Barbara Gordon’s story as Oracle would be retconned.

It’s unfortunate because now there’s Batgirl and Batwoman fighting for readership, essentially the same character archetype.

I personally prefer progression in my continuity based comics, not regression or status quo. If DC wants to keep status quo of their characters I would suggest their editors do their job and prevent writers from drastically altering character’s status quo.

To answer the question, I preferred Oracle. She played a much more significant role in DCU. She showcased her intelligence and mental savy. She felt more realistic as woman confined to a chair, than just another sidekick in fetish suit.

1 Like
  • Oracle
  • Batgirl

0 voters

1 Like

I’m team-Oracle. There have been more interesting Batgirls and Oracle was a really cool, unique character. And inspiring.

1 Like

So I am I the only one who liked babs more as Oracle and is kinda disappointed by her return to batgirl?

6 Likes

You are not.

6 Likes

I personally prefer the Year One or early rebirth version where she is a batgirl who finds joy in the heroing, but I know a lot of people who prefers oracle. She has been inspirational to disabled people and people struggling with trauma, so I understand those who want oracle back.

I think this is the curse of changing characters. Once you change something fundamentelly about a character you create a permanent divergence in the readerbase.

Arcs requiring big changes are probably better handed off to new original characters.

DC are just never going to be able to write a Barbara that will cater to everyone again.

3 Likes

I really like her as Batgirl. Her moments with Nightwing during the beginning of Rebirth were pretty much my favorite parts of both of their runs so far. I kind of wish she was still Oracle. I loved a lot of her work during that time. But to me she’s the number 1 female Bat-Fam member. So I was excited to see her return to the cape and cowl.

2 Likes

Also, the yellow boots are adorable and no one can change that.

3 Likes

Not only do I like her more as Oracle, but I like her most as Oracle mentoring Stephanie as Batgirl.

5 Likes

Absolutely. The worst part about Barbara being Batgirl again is that Steph and Cassandra have been pushed to the background. For me Barbara Gordon batgirl stories are better told as events that happened in the past.

3 Likes

I agree batgirl year one was great. I think the last commenter has it right. Barb as pat girl stories are great but should be set in the past. I also agree that making babs batgirl again takes oxygen from other capable bat females. I like the new replacing the old and being oracle lets babs be “old” without being retired. I think she is a great mentor and sounding board. And she worked for everyone. Her not being oracle is a big resource off the board

2 Likes

When they changed her from Oracle to Batgirl…I lost 100% interest. As Oracle she was one of my favorite characters. DC did a GREAT DISSERVICE to the handicapped community. She from her wheelchair was one of the most power heroes in the DCU, period! Every hero/team depended on her. In the JLA alone she was the most important. Then you take into account her team of Birds of Prey…for years…she was up there with the Trinity if not more important. Then you have the Legacy of Batgirl being passed to Cassandra and Spoiler…just great stuff and thrown away.

3 Likes

I like her as both and don’t view them as mutually exclusive. Post-Rebirth Babs is Oracle and Batgirl. She’s worked as Oracle in some storylines. I like seeing her use those skills to aid in her Batgirl endeavors and to aid other heroes. I recall her acting in the Oracle capacity with Nightwing, Green Arrow, and Orphan. These took place in other series than her own title, and I admit that her own title often over looks her Oracle skills and role. I would love to see that side of her explored more in her own series, even if it’s just background glimpses of data monitoring, chat logs with Black Canary, a note to self to relay information to someone, or that info had been sent/received.

3 Likes

And every major series had a Felicity Smoak to be a fully able Oracle style character. Support character roles are for that reason precarious.

There is also the fact that the biggest Oracle story is The Killing Joke: Any following she gained would immediately flow into Joker fandom. It is also ignored that Barbara Gordon’s history as Batgirl was erased from continuity by COIE. And, she was regularly abused by the Joker for a cheap pump and dump in ratings.

I prefer Barbara Gordon as Batgirl because the publisher that inspired WOMEN IN REFRIGERATORS will never be able to consistently write aspirational female characters that have a history of abuse unless they can lean on other narrative crutches. Being a field superhero preempt their worst impulses.

And then Castelucci was put on Batgirl, cringe.

3 Likes

Dan Didio said that Stephanie and Cassandra were “toxic” for good storytelling.

I was so happy when he was finally fired.

3 Likes

Batwoman’s costume was a direct rip off from a healed Batgirl design.

Barbara Gordon’s stature was PHYSICALLY REDUCED to help lesser Bat Characters stand out more.

There is also the problem of Barbara Gordon Batgirl being a better selling title than every other Legacy Bat character besides Nightwing.

DC has failed at building a long term vision for their iconic characters for the last 45 years: The hits of the New 52 and Rebirth prove it.

2 Likes

Gotham crimefighters are a dime a dozen. Anyone could be Batgirl, but there’s only one Oracle.

3 Likes

a superhero permanetly in a wheelchair was great seeing how she grew from it and taking it out where all that is gone really hurts her character how, I like when they discuss what happened but how she became stronger

3 Likes

That’s kind of how I feel. I like her as Batgirl, but her being Oracle was really unique and different from any other superhero.

4 Likes