Is a Birds if Prey movie necessary?

not the way they’re doing it lmao

2 Likes

I personally think that they should just call the movie something else, because it isnt BoP. I like “Gotham City Rumble B!+@#=$” or something.

1 Like

Yes I think so. Great characters, great premise. All the makings for a damn fine movie.

1 Like

Yes I think so. Great characters, great premise. All the makings for a damn fine movie.

It gives heroes who have never been given the spotlight a chance to bloom in popularity! Yes, Huntress and Black Canary appeared on Arrow, but they were forgotten pretty quickly and The CW didn’t do them justice, in my opinion. Plus with Margot Robbie’s popularity it’ll give both Huntress & BC the spotlight they need. The more characters shine the more action figures, merch, are made and that means money in WB pockets. I’ll be honest though, not a fan of what they’re doing with Canary, but what can you do, you know?

1 Like

I was kind of salty that they’re making a Birds of Prey movie without Babs. I’m hoping that she’s in the movie and that they’re keeping it a surprise. I’m interested in how they tackle Cassandra Cain’s story since she’s my favorite Batgirl. Of course, it’s about time people get to see how awesome Black Canary is since Arrow didn’t do her justice!

The whole movie is just an ego trip for Margot Robbie

2 Likes

I hate that word now as it’s being used too loosely. No movie is actually necessary and they’re made to be entertainment for about 2 hrs or so

3 Likes

Is anything but food, water, and shelter necessary?

1 Like

Necessary, maybe not, but if it’s done well; it will be great for DC and the heroines in it.

3 Likes

I would say yes, because it seems like it’s going to be a bit different from the same old stuff we always get in superhero movies. It’s rated R, it has characters we’ve never seen before on film, and villains and heroes working together. All things I enjoy.

1 Like

It will be worth it just to hear Black Mask say “Hello there.”

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

I think it’s definitely a smart kind of movie to make – there’s obviously a demand for women-oriented superhero films, and Birds of Prey, especially done in a way that’s outside the more traditional ideas of superhero fiction makes it stand out all the more.

2 Likes

Yes because it will appeal to a diverse audience and it could be an amazing introduction to these characters that a lot of people may not know about.

1 Like

Few things in life are necessary, but I am up for this.

Birds of Prey isn’t my favorite constellation, and this isn’t my favorite constellation of that constellation, but I am nore than ready to have my mind changed about it.

I really enjoyed the TV-series, so I’m certain they can make the movie great.

3 Likes

This Birds of Prey movie is as much BoP as “Catwoman” was a movie about our favorite Batman love interest.

I’m not saying it will suck, it’s just if you are a BoP fan this doesnt seem to have any of the things a fan likes about the story. Like a movie called “X-men” that focuses on the Morlocks as protagonists and the only “X-man” is Morph from the cartoon series. I’ll watch, but you kind of forgot the X-men part.

I am super skeptical about this movie. The lineup of characters doesn’t seem very BoP to me and Margo Robbie’s Harley Quinn is one of my least favorite things to have come out of all the recent movies, just truly shallow and a distortion of the character. I will almost 100% not see it in theaters and depending on reviews I may not even watch it when it is out on digital platforms. I honestly wish she would stop playing the role and pass it on for someone else to give a shot at and hopefully do a better job with.

@Zombedy
No offense, but I can’t help but feel like you’re jumping to conclusions. We barely know anything about the movie — we don’t even have a trailer— so it’s much too soon to tell whether or not it will be like the Catwoman-in-name-only movie.
In any case, I highly doubt the filmmakers would ignore all continuity surrounding the characters and create their own identities and origin stories that don’t in any way resemble the real names, personalities, or origins from the comics.
Furthermore, the comparison between this film and a hypothetical X-Men movie featuring only one obscure team member is one I don’t quite get. The movie is set to feature at least two of the founding and defining members of the original team in a prominent role in the story, not to mention that Cassie Cain was originally meant to be on the team in the comics but the DC higher-ups wouldn’t allow it. The team has had many members come and go over the years, so I don’t see why introducing a few more new members for the film would be too much of a stretch.
I apologize if I came across as condescending or confrontational. I’m just saying my piece.

@SuperBatDanLantern, no apologies necessary, you come off as completely respectful :slight_smile: You’re right, we dont know the plot for certain, but we do know the real world events that led to this project being greenlit. It goes like this:
Suicide Squad makes a ton of money and people all take note of Margot Robbie. Later, Robbie sets up a meeting with the studio to pitch some film ideas. She is quoted to have said that “Harley needs friends”, “I want to make an r-rated girl-gang movie” and “I want to make sure the cast and crew are diverse”.
Then, 4-5 projects with HQ were rumored to be in development. Harley solo, Joker and Harley, Gotham City Sirens, SS2, and Birds of Prey. They didnt clearly have a concrete story at this point. They just knew what the cast and crew would look like and who would star in this HQ film. There were some struggles with what project (Batman, Ss2, HQ movie) could use what Batman villians, specifically GCS and SS2 were both at one point using the Penguin. Cathy Yan gives a presentation of what her film would look like and BoP is announced. Black Mask is later revealed to be the antagonist. GCS is no longer in development, even though it would fulfill the “girl-gang” aspect. My theory is that Poison Ivy, Batgirl, and Catwoman are already well known to general audiences. So you take your GCS script, you replace Ivy and Kitty with Canary and Huntress, change Penguin to Black Mask and you still have essentially the same story. Then you just need a plot device that our “heroes” can unite over, this is called a mcguffin. That is without a doubt Cassie Cain.
Basically, they would want to put alot more thought into Catwoman and Batgirl as either are known enough to carry their own films, so why throw them in this low budget film experiment? They dont, they use lesser known characters to tell a Harley-centric story and hopefully people like them in the film.
As for all the talk of “maybe they are just hiding characters” I dont think so, because while most people know Batgirl, they dont know about Oracle. So just having a redhead in a wheelchair take custody of Cass at the end wont mean anything to general audiences, they wont understand the significance because they dont know “Birds of Prey” as anything beyond part of the title. They COULD still do it, but they arent selling BoF, they’re selling Harley Quinn in the safest project they can.
The X-men analogy probably isnt the best, but it works for me. They are all characters from X-men comics, but only Morph is a student of the Xavier Institute and isnt really what the series is known for, he isnt a morlock and the morlocks arent X-Men. That would still make sense as “X-Men” is an extremely well known brand and they would want to highlight the connection.
Hey, take Deadpool 2. Would you call it “Brotherhood of Evil Mutants: Deadpool in love” just because Black Tom and Juggernaut appear. Keep in mind, the rest of the world has no clue about them.
They point is, Barbara is what makes BoP what it is. It’s her team. Without her it is not the same story at all. The general public wont know any of this, which is likely the reason they are willing to take this route.

Again, I admit I don’t know anything for sure it’s all just theory. But I am very familiar with Hollywood practices in adapting properties.