Introducing DCUBC-Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-) Week3of3

@trustymutsi
I love when books have a healing or helpful effect. I felt a sense of peace through it too.

2 Likes

57-62
Although it was nice to see the guest DC characters, the story felt less “Swampy”. I did not understand what happened in #60 with the space machine.

This issue felt like Swamp Thing I’ve gotten to know from the previous volumes.

I’m not sure if growing a tree out of your enemy is chaotic-good or chaotic-evil, but I couldn’t look away through this whole scene, and issue!

2 Likes
  1. What was the most heartbreaking moment in volumes 5&6? [Issues 51-64]
    Abby’s mourning. Especially when she went home and had to throw out a plant and then just lost it. And Swamp Thing building a fake Abby to cope.

2. Who was your favorite minor or cameo character in volumes 5&6? [Issues 51-64]
    Deadman, again. He brought hope when there was none.

3. Who were you rooting for in the Batman vs. Swamp Thing fight? [Issue 53]
    see earlier comments

4. What was your favorite volume or issue in the series?
    Volume 4 and Issue 50. I could not stop advancing the panels to get to the epic Light vs. Dark fight.

5. What was the most terrifying moment in the series?
    The woman turning into a raven was terrifying to me.

6. What was the most memorable moment or panel in the series?
    The last scene in #64 with the house was very heart-warming. I was very happy with the way the series tied up loose ends and ended.

2 Likes

I’m sending a big THANK YOU to everyone who joined on any part of this EPIC Journey! It was a pleasure to hear your thoughts and reactions.

Feel free to share your thoughts on the Swamp Thing series.

2 Likes

I just got done reading the Swamp Thing series.
This series was one of the best I’ve ever read. The artwork was phenomenal and the plot of the story kept me wanting more and more.
I love how Swamp Thing’s love for Abby was so passionate he turned Gotham City into a jungle to get her released and the compassion Batman had and the injustice her wanted to spare them from.
The story arc with Adam Strange and Swamp Thing stopping a famine was interesting as well as his interactions with Hawkman and Hawkgirl who appeared very villain like for the first time.
I can go on and on but what made me sad was reading about Abby’s love and mourning for her dad and about her crazy uncle as well as the people forgotten by family in the nursing home Abby worked at.
I’m really impressed and will probably reread this sometime in the future.
Thanks for allowing me to be a part of this reading club for this series.
I look forward to taking part of future reading clubs.

3 Likes

Oh, and despite being partial to Batman because I’ve been a Batman fan since 1992 I decided to remain neutral for issue #53 during the fight between Swamp Thing and Batman.
Because although Batman was protecting his city and didn’t know exactly what was going on with Swamp Thing yet I was also sympathetic towards Swamp Thing for what he was going through for the woman he loved.

3 Likes

@Arrow2911
Yay! I’m so happy you finished it and enjoyed the story. I’m with you, I’ll be re-reading this story again. It has a timeless feel to me.

Thanks for reading along!

2 Likes

I finally finished everything. I think towards the end Moore got too poetic and prose-ey for my taste. It started to turn into a book with some pictures. I kinda imagine in my head the editors saying “Uh oh… Alan’s losing it. Let’s let some artists write some books, and get Alan to wrap everything up soon.” My imaginary story might explain why everything seemed to wrap up so fast in his last issue :slight_smile:

Overall I really liked his Swamp Thing. Chester was my favorite character :slight_smile: I’m kinda surprised Abbey forgot about Liz so easily. Abbey was not really my favorite character, and I don’t see what Swampy saw in her, to be honest.

1 Like

@trustymutsi
I’m with you about the end. Volume 6 was a bit tough for me to follow until the last two issues. I soooo enjoyed the rest of the series though.

Great callout with Chester! I love the way his story ended with Liz. It was touching.

Maybe he liked Abby because she wasn’t scared him? I thought Abby was a little bit crazy, but I liked her sparky personality.

I’m thrilled you finished the series. =)

2 Likes

@Arrow2911 Those weren’t Hawkman and Hawkwoman. They were different Thanagarians.

1 Like

:mega: DCUBC-Epics! will return next week with a new EPIC story. =)

4 Likes