Introducing DCUBC-Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-) Week2of3

1. This was my favorite moment in Volume 3. Swamp Thing BECOMES the mountain!

2 Likes

I’m running behind with my reading. I will try to be finished by later tonight.

I’m really enjoying the interaction between Constantine and how Swamp Thing and Abby are making their relationship work out.
(Their relationship can be an example of not judging by outward beauty or on what is on the outside but rather on what’s is within)

1 Like

While I had planned on finishing up this week’s issues today my son had… other plans. Hopefully I can catch up and join in next week

1 Like

While I had planned on finishing up this week’s issues today my son had… other plans. Hopefully I can catch up and join in next week

@MattMcDonald I hope everything is ok brother

@MattMcDonald
No worries at all! I hope your precious baby is ok too.

@Arrow2911
Yes! I completely loved their relationship, even though Constantine kinda complicated things :smirk:.

All: Since we’re all a bit behind (myself included), let’s leave the discussion for volumes 3 and 4 open on this thread until end of day Friday, May 3rd. I will still post the thread for the last two volumes of the series tomorrow, as scheduled. But we’ll have a little more time to read and discuss volumes 3 and 4 here.

Thanks for joining in! As soon as I get a moment, I’ll be posting more reactions.

I just got done reading week 2!
The entire battle was edge of your seat.
I’ve grown a deeper liking to The Spectre and want to read more his stuff and I also want to read more JLD after seeing Deadman and Zatanna.
I’m interested in seeing how all these questions Swamp Thing has plays out since nothing was resolved or answered during his meeting with the Parliament of Trees and I also am looking forward to seeing what happens with Abby since her arrest over the photographs and wether she and Swamp Thing continue their relationship.
The artwork was so good and the storyline of this series of comics keeps me glued that I lose track of time going from comic to comic.
Definately one of the best comic book titles I’ve ever read.

1 Like

@Arrow2911
Hi! I just finished too, I’m about to post a bunch of reactions. I’m with you on liking the Spectre more. I want to read more of JLD and the Spectre too.

Here come the reactions!

I love how Abby comes up with practical solutions for his new body-growing capabilities. Don’t wanna be wet all night from a late afternoon swim? “So let the wet body dry and grow a dry one.” I couldn’t stop turning the pages on this issue, great read and excellent character development. It was terrifying.

Alan Moore’s descriptive work is excellent and therefore terrifying when its applied to describing the end of the multiverse. “the satellite was destroyed”, John says this so nonchalantly, they were JUST on the satellite!

The Brujeria are terrifying! They make the evil monkey from Volume 1 look like a mild annoyance.

#47 Parliament of Trees
This dude is taking pictures of Abby with and has the NERVE to judge if what Abby and Swamp Thing were saying to each other “was proper”. Oh, the hypocrisy!

Swamp Thing smells like a dead muskrat. I guess love is blind and has no sense of smell.

Swamp Thing being kicked out of the Parliament of Trees was rough to witness. Poor Swamp Thing. The Parliament of Trees advised Swamp Thing to avoid power and anger. “…Where is evil in all the wood?” Constantine sees this as the physical location of the Brujeria. Was it? Was Constantine’s interpretation right? - or was it what he wanted to hear for his own plan. I think Constantine heard what he wanted to hear.

#48 Live reactions during #48
Facepalm - John Constantine’s GRAND plan to fight the Brujeria:
Step 1: Swamp Thing enters the Brujeria’s Central chamber through the green
Step 2: John’s team enters on foot and prevents anyone from escaping.
That’s it. That’s the plan… … … I have a bad feeling about this.

Also, this is the SAME team that failed at Newcastle (minus Swamp Thing). Frank & Judith decide to be intimate during the mission - NO WONDER this team failed at Newcastle!

The Judith Bird transformation scene was gross and riveting! Edge of my seat. This was the most terrifying scene to me so far!

#49 The summoning!
Swamp Thing’s opening scene is a total boss scene! “Fools. you are in a cave…beneath the clean earth… in the center of a rainforest… You … do not even…have a chance.”

WHOOHOO! Tell ‘em Swamp Thing!

Ok, whenever someone in John’s group says “Don’t worry” - that’s when I worry.

This is my favorite issue in this week’s reading. I read it twice and it gets better every time I read it. I am captivated in every panel. Seeing the story play out through the eyes of Mento was BRILLIANT, IMO. Loved that this issue started and ended with Cain and Able. Good and Evil still exist. The Cataclysmic meeting of Dark and Light! I love this issue so much! I loved the attached panel too.

1 Like
  1. What was the most memorable moment of Swamp Thing battling a curse in volume 3? [Issues 35-42]
    The moment where Swamp Thing became the mountain.

2. What do you think of Constantine’s energy circle? Was the energy circle worth the sacrifices it caused? [Issue 50]
    Nope! Not at all. The goal of the circle to was use their magic to help the big fight. Really? Their tiny, magical powers were NO MATCH for anything that was happening in the beyond. Their “help” was no help, on a cosmic scale. So two people died, Mento is crazy, and was it worth it? Not to me, but my mind could be changed by a good argument.

3. What do you think was the most terrifying moment?
    The part where she turned into a bird.

4. Who was your favorite character?
    John Constantine is a nasty piece of work, but he’s just so fun! He was my favorite. When he’s around, anything can happen, and probably everything will go wrong.

5. Which volume did you enjoy more: volume 3 or volume 4?
    Volume 4. Issue 50 was just so good! Volume 3 was excellent too.

I will be posting the thread for week three on Wednesday May 1st, but discussion for volumes 3 &4 will stay open on this thread until Friday, May 3rd.

1 Like

I’m normally a bit behind the regular schedule but just wanted to say that I love this book club and obviously this series! Hope they never stop!

3 Likes

@jnlynn11
I’m so happy you love the book club, thanks for reading along. You made my morning!

Epics will be back! In fact, I think this is a good time to share future plans and ask for feedback.

2 Likes

To all:

We recently completed our first run of the DCU Book Club - Epics! Again, thank you to everyone who participated and to those who are reading along.

I am considering a few tweaks to the format.

If you are planning to participate in future Epics! book clubs, please voice your thoughts on the format tweaks below:

:hammer_and_wrench: Potential Changes:

1. We read one Epic for a full month instead of three weeks. We’ll aim to read the first half in the first two weeks, and spoiler discussion is open for the entire series for the last two weeks.

2. We have one thread for the full Epic discussion.

3. Would you like to see any changes in how the club is facilitated?

Summer is around the corner, and I was thinking a trip to the old West could be fun in the summer!

:books: Next Book:
Is anyone interested in reading Jonah Hex (All Star Western) for our next Epic?

All Star Western is shorter than Swamp Thing. It has 6 volumes, and each volume is 6 issues. In comparison, for Swamp Thing we read 15, 18, then 14 issues for each week of book club. If you read two volumes per week in All Star Western, it would be 12 issues per week (with a bonus fourth week to catch up - see Change #1 above).

What books would you like to see in future Epics! clubs?

2 Likes