Introducing DCUBC-Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-) Week2of3

Greetings and welcome to week two of DCU Book Club - Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-)!

DCUBC-Epics hosts the reading and discussion of complete story arcs. :tada: We read approximately two volumes of the story per week.

DCU’s original, live-action series - Swamp Thing - debuts on May 31st. This is an excellent time to (re)read Alan Moore’s critically acclaimed, character-defining run which inspired the series.

JOHN CONSTANTINE’s first-ever appearance in comics takes place in issue #37. With Constantine around, what could go wrong?

:books:WHAT TO READ :books:
Alan Moore’s SWAMP THING (1982-):
• Volume 3 The Curse (Issues 35-42)
• Volume 4 A Murder of Crows (Issues 43-50)

Let’s dive in! But first, we’ll start with a few tips:

:information_source: DISCUSSION TIPS
• Stop by to share your thoughts, reactions, and answers to discussion questions as you read the story.
• Spoiler comments are welcome, but please refrain from spoiling issues from volumes 5 and 6.
• If your comments are issue-specific, add the issue number in your comment.

Week 2’s discussion begins NOW and ends Tuesday night, April 30th. A new thread will be posted next Wednesday for week 3, which will cover the last two volumes in the series.

:seedling:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What was the most memorable moment of Swamp Thing battling a curse in volume 3? [Issues 35-42]

2. What do you think of Constantine’s energy circle? Was the energy circle worth the sacrifices it caused? [Issue 50]

3. What do you think was the most terrifying moment?

4. Who was your favorite character?

5. Which volume did you enjoy more: volume 3 or volume 4?

*Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions to this week’s reading! There is a LOT we can unpack together in the comments.

I hope you join us on this EPIC journey. Longer reads don’t fit your schedule? Check out our weekly DCUBC which highlights a story arc from a variety of characters every week.

Week 3 of 3 for DCUBC-Epics: Swamp Thing kicks off on Wednesday, May 1st. We’ll finish Moore’s run with Volume 5 (Earth to Earth) and Volume 6 (Reunion).

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me, JLWWSM, on Discord or via email: JLonDCU@gmail.com

6 Likes

Okay, super dumb question that’s driving me nuts. This opening post trails off in ellipsis and I cannot, for the life of me find out how to read the whole thing. It ends in “We are reading…”
Swamp Thing lends its self to discussion and I’d love to join in, if I could figure this out…

@Digit8 Here you go…

Thanks @Don-el!
@Digit8 - Hello and welcome! I’m add the message here for you too =)

1 Like

Greetings and welcome to week two of DCU Book Club - Epics: SWAMP THING(1982-)!

DCUBC-Epics hosts the reading and discussion of complete story arcs. :tada: We read approximately two volumes of the story per week.

DCU’s original, live-action series - Swamp Thing - debuts on May 31st. This is an excellent time to (re)read Alan Moore’s critically acclaimed, character-defining run which inspired the series.

JOHN CONSTANTINE’s first-ever appearance in comics takes place in issue #37. With Constantine around, what could go wrong?

:books:WHAT TO READ :books:
Alan Moore’s SWAMP THING (1982-):
• Volume 3 The Curse (Issues 35-42)
• Volume 4 A Murder of Crows (Issues 43-50)

Let’s dive in! But first, we’ll start with a few tips:

:information_source: DISCUSSION TIPS
• Stop by to share your thoughts, reactions, and answers to discussion questions as you read the story.
• Spoiler comments are welcome, but please refrain from spoiling issues from volumes 5 and 6.
• If your comments are issue-specific, add the issue number in your comment.

Week 2’s discussion begins NOW and ends Tuesday night, April 30th. A new thread will be posted next Wednesday for week 3, which will cover the last two volumes in the series.

:seedling:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. What was the most memorable moment of Swamp Thing battling a curse in volume 3? [Issues 35-42]

2. What do you think of Constantine’s energy circle? Was the energy circle worth the sacrifices it caused? [Issue 50]

3. What do you think was the most terrifying moment?

4. Who was your favorite character?

5. Which volume did you enjoy more: volume 3 or volume 4?

*Feel free to share your thoughts and reactions to this week’s reading! There is a LOT we can unpack together in the comments.

I hope you join us on this EPIC journey. Longer reads don’t fit your schedule? Check out our weekly DCUBC which highlights a story arc from a variety of characters every week.

Week 3 of 3 for DCUBC-Epics: Swamp Thing kicks off on Wednesday, May 1st. We’ll finish Moore’s run with Volume 5 (Earth to Earth) and Volume 6 (Reunion).

Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me, JLWWSM, on Discord or via email: JLonDCU@gmail.com

Very excited to keep this alive. How do I weigh in on the next epic!

1 Like

@doctor_fate23 Welcome back =) I’m excited too!

To weigh in:
Step 1: Read an issue (or a few issues) of this week’s reading
Step 2: Share your thoughts and reactions
Step 3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you finish volume 4 (issue 50).
Step 4: If you’d like to, reply to the discussion questions and to the discussion overall (you can do this along the way as you’re reading, or when you finish volumes 3 & 4).

We’ll be discussing volumes 3 & 4 (issues 35-50) until Tuesday night, April 30th. Happy reading and reacting!

1 Like

I meant suggest the next epic

:laughing: I misinterpreted your “how do I weigh” in question - sorry about that!

Feel free to reach out to me via the contact info I listed, or, next week after we finish the Epic, I will be asking for feedback and you can share future epic suggestions in the comments at that time. Thanks for the enthusiasm!

1 Like

Just so I understand:
This week we’re reading issues 35-50?

@Arrow2911
Yes, that is correct :blush:

Spending my weekend in the woods and I’ll be doing my Epics reading there. I cannot wait to read this fantastic book surrounded by nature.

I’ll report back!

3 Likes

@MattMcDonald the woods is a perfect place to read this! =)

2 Likes

Nukeface cracks me up (morbid humor)

Nukeface: “Y’Like this fire I made Ed?”
Comatose “Ed”/Bob: “…”
Nukeface: “Yeah I guess you do…”

2 Likes

More morbid humor - haha!

Nukeface: “Answer me that”
Comatose “Ed”/Bob: “…”
Nukeface: “See? You can’t can’t!..”

Ohhhhh… Nukeface smh

2 Likes

@JLWWSM Thank you!
I’m looking forward to reading these issues

4 Likes

@Arrow2911
Anytime! I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s reactions. These volumes are spooky-fun. :ghost:

3 Likes

This series becomes more probing and existential as it rolls along. Nothing quite like it in the mainstream comics world.

2 Likes

@keylimetyrant
I agree. This is a unique series.

1 Like

John’s first appearance to Abby: He pops up seemingly out of nowhere in the back seat of her car while she’s driving and says, “Morning, Ms. Cable. How’s the boyfriend.” Total John move! :rofl: Love it. Later with Swamp Thing and Abby “I’m a nasty piece of work, chief. Ask anybody.” - that’s my boy, Constantine!