Interest Gathering: Charlton Club?

I’m interested in starting my own book club, following the DCU adventures of the heroes of Charlton Comics, acquired by DC in the 1980s. This would include comics about Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Nightshade, Peacemaker, Sarge Steel, Judomaster, and that one guy with no face. Askman, or something.

Who would like to join me for this? I’m thinking we could meet once a month, so as not to get in the way of the many other book clubs going on here. But I think it could be a fun way to expose us to characters who are generally overlooked these days, but who’ve had some classic runs.

8 Likes

Sure! I’ve not read an overabundance of Charlton books/characters, so I’d be happy to participate.

2 Likes

I’d give it a shot!

2 Likes

How would one read them? Honestly, a couple Charlton comics found in a sub-basement-- Captain Atom and Blue Beetle-- are some of my main inspiration in the love of super-hero stories. Never mind what year that was-- they are long gone.

1 Like

Oh… and Billy the Kid. Yea. Seriously.

Having a good time in other book clubs I’ll try

@Misfit: With one exception (for now), they wouldn’t be the actual Charlton comics — just comics featuring the heroes from Charlton.

Oh. Like, the ones that say DC Comics… my brain went way too literal for a second, there.

1 Like

That said, I’d love to see some of those old Charlton comics that Steve Ditko drew digitized one day.

1 Like

I would be all over that. I’ve been reading the Post-Crisis Question and Captain Atom series recently and they’re two of the best ongoings I’ve ever read.

1 Like

Hmm, this sounds interesting. I don’t know a lot about the Charlton comics, so this may be a good way to find out more about them.

Actually, Captain Atom by Ditko should be on here. If it’s not, I know they’re on Comixology

1 Like

Some Charlton Captain Atom and Blue Beetle are on here, yes. That would probably be our first read before we get into the 80s.

1 Like

I’d love it, I love Blue Beetle.

Just read Convergence: Blue Beetle again. Love these characters.

1 Like

Heck yeah I’d be interested!

I actually own Action heroes archives 1 and 2 collecting the original Steve ditto runs. Great reads

1 Like

They added Living Assault Weapons#1, btw.

I’m in too

1 Like

I’m down.

I’m super bummed that Living Assault Weapons was one of the worst comics ever, but I also love that it exists :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds fun

1 Like