information needed and appreciated

I have recently become interested in Blue Beetle Now I could simple read his last solo comic ( 2017 I believe ) But I was told by a few people it was no good. So I asking all you Blue Beetle fans What is a good comic

Working backwards in time here:

I’ve heard good things about Jaime’s first series from 2006, so that’s probably a good place to start. I haven’t read it myself, but I’ve been meaning to.

If you’re interested in Ted Kord, he was one of the main characters in the Giffen/DeMatteis run on Justice League starting in 1987. He also had a short-lived solo series starting earlier in the '80s that we have on DCU. Unfortunately, I don’t think we have Ted’s original Steve Ditko run from the '60s, but I’m sure it’s available somewhere.

I don’t think we have any of the really old Dan Garrett stuff. That said, there’s a reason Dan Garrett was never all that popular. He got kicked around between a ton of different publishers, constantly changed powers, costumes, and backstories, and never got much character development. He was pretty heavily overshadowed by Ted and Jaime, all things considered.

The little I’ve read from the 80’s Blue Beetle series starring the Ted Kord iteration was fun.

The Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle debuted in Infinite Crisis and has starred in three solo ongoing series (the first began in 2006), along with the pre-New 52 Teen Titans. He was also a player in the shortlived but fun New 52 series Threshold.

Ted Kord and Jaime were both in the Rebirth Blue Beetle series where Ted served as a mentor to Jaime.

It depends on which Beetle you’re most into as to where to start. Any point is a good one IMO.

“Booster Gold”, early issues. Before that I suggest you check out “Countdown To Infinite Crisis”. Also, I believe that Ted Cord’s first appearance as Blue Beetle may have occurred in “Crisis On Infinite Earths”. I was never much of a fan of “Blue Beetle” but I think those are some key ones. If Jamie Reyes is who you’re looking for, check out “Infinite Crisis”.

Guess I have some reading to do Thanks everyone

For Ted Kord, his best series was “countdown to infinite crisis” which is a great if not somewhat tragic story. His ongoing in 1986 was not bad, but he was a bit of a generic non-powered hero type in it, clearly DC was still getting a handle on the hero. The best Blue Beetle “run” of Ted Kord would be his time with Justice League International and it’s various books. I think those are what really made Ted Kord a character fans gravitated towards.

As for Jamie Reyes… his 2006 series has been his best run IMHO. It also continued as a backup feature in Booster Gold’s 2007 series in issues 21-29.

1 Like

Minor, nitpicky correction: Ted Kord did not first appear in Crisis on Infinite Earths. He was created by a post-Marvel Steve Ditko (co-creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, who also went on to create the Question, Captain Atom, Hawk and Dove, and the Creeper on the DC end of things) for Charlton Comics in the ‘60s. DC bought Charlton and relegated its characters and series to Earth-4 of the multiverse. Earth-4 plays a role in the Crisis, with Ted as its main representative. So, that was the first time he interacted with the main DC Universe, and it lead to the Earth-4 characters’ integration (along with Earth-2, Earth-S, and Earth-X) into the main continuity, but it was not Ted’s first appearance.

He plays a minor role in the first big crossover of the Post-Crisis continuity, Legends (which is quite good), and that book started the 1987 Justice League series. That series, by the way, changed titles twice and had multiple spinoffs - it went from Justice League to Justice League International, then split into Justice League America and Justice League Europe, the latter of which in turn split into Justice League Task Force and the absurdly-titled Extreme Justice. I believe Beetle stuck with the “America” team for most of its run but was also in Extreme Justice for its badly-drawn, year-and-a-half-long run.

He was also a supporting character in the early run of Birds of Prey, which I like, but most people will tell you to skip for some reason.

Not sure what (if anything) he was doing until they killed him off. Regardless, I vehemently disagree with others in this thread about the quality of Countdown to Infinite Crisis, but I suppose if you want to figure out what happened to Ted, you can read that.