Infinite Frontier: Fear State | Book Discussion

Interesting. I might have to check out the show, as anything that’s good enough for BC is of interest to moi.

4 Likes

Future State: Alpha #1

Overall this issue does a pretty good job at establishing everything that came before in stuff like the previous arc of Batman and other assorted things. There’s a lot of exposition, but the way it’s presented via Simon Saint’s marketing department makes it feel fairly natural.

I think my favorite scene in this was Simon Saint talking to Scarecrow – I overall love that Scarecrow is the big bad of this event. So often we’ve gotten big Joker stories – Death of the Family, Endgame, Joker War – that it was cool seeing another villain get the spotlight. I also loved the idea of this Silicon Valley mogul using a supervillain’s dissertation to try to propel their company and their own way of doing things, it feels like something that could realistically happen in a universe like this.

I LOVE the art by Riccardo Federici, though in comparison to other big artists on this book like Jorge Jiminez, it kind of sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also, Harley interacting with Miracle Molly and assuming she was a clown was pretty funny.

One thing that nagged at me was the whole Ivy plot felt…odd. First off, the whole “Ivy is split between her good and evil self” thing reminded me a LOT of the recent Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy mini and I thought that was already resolved and was made whole? I may be misremembering it.

Plus, Catwoman just…had Good Ivy under her protection the whole time? And considering she just had a team up with Ivy, Selina didn’t think “Hey, maybe I should mention that her girlfriend is crashing here in Alleytown”? If I’m missing some context, let me know.

Batman #112

This was an odd issue, because it kind of feels like it did most of the same things as the Alpha issue, like almost the exact same set-up with the only difference being showing Batman make it to the Clocktower, which they could have fit easily enough in the Alpha issue, or at least made Batman’s escape take more precedent or do something a little more with that, maybe some unique hallucinations.

Also, I can’t help but notice that James Tynion did two events in almost as many years which both feature Batman having his mind manipulated by the villain’s mechinations. I don’t want to say that Tynion got lazy or anything, and I can kind of get that with a character who is so physically and mentally proficient, attacking his mind is probably the more compelling thing to do, it just feels a little too soon.

That said, the art here is also just god-tier, especially the way he drew Cass.

7 Likes

A big problem of the main plot of fear state is that it’s paced terribly, they spend like three or four issues setting and resetting up the state of affairs right now despite the fact that the entire point of the Batman arc before fear state was setting up fear state

5 Likes

I Am Batman #1

I think out of all the issues in this so far, this is the one that fits the least. Honestly, it seems to fit more along the lines of the Future State continuity than it does the Fear State event. The biggest thing is the mentioning of Batman being considered dead for six years. Yes, Seer – or the Anti-Oracle who we’ve been calling them so far – says that Batman is dead, but it just doesn’t fit with what’s going on in the story. The cops talk about the Magistrate as if they’re a normal, well established thing and not something that’s just started who’s taken out all communication and whose Peacekeeper is running loose and out of his mind in the city.

So I’m not so negative, I will say that the art by Olivier Coipel is absolutely stunning, appropriately moody and dynamic and full of great action. I also find myself liking Jace’s characterization in the cowl. While his talk about what Batman was doesn’t really feel right to those who read his exploits, it makes sense from Jace’s perspective, and the way he is more personable and how he reacts most vividly to the reckless driver feels very in character.

Batman #113

This issue doesn’t propel a lot of the plot of this event, but it does have some interesting character moments and amazing art.

First, the conversation between Batman and Commissioner Montoya helps cement the sort of theme and metatext of this event. I think it’s fair to say that stuff like Covid, protests/riots, and general misinformation played a heavy role in shaping this event. And you can see that here with a population being spoonfed so much paranoid and contradictory that no one can believe anything anymore. Even the truth feels just as wild as the lies that are being told. There are some really interesting things that could be done with such a story, but I feel like it’s kind of short-shifted by the overall event structure.

There’s also some fun stuff between Batman and Ghostmaker. Tynion can get some flack that “he’s just stuffing these events with his pointless OCs,” but while I’m sure not all of them will stand the test of time, I do at least like the idea of Ghostmaker as a character and what he provides, as a peer who trained alongside him, his friendly rival who can give Bruce a lot of grief few of his family can, but still has his back when the chips are down. It’s neat seeing this guy who found what Batman was doing so pointless and beneath him start to see the insane dedication that Bruce’s mission entails.

There’s also the stuff with Scarecrow – again, not much that we didn’t already know from the Alpha issue, but it’s an interesting wrinkle that Ghostmaker saw Johnathan as a way to understand emotion. Seems to fit that he would go to a psychopath to try to figure things out – though I’m not sure if “psychopath” is quite the right description for him.

Some more good art from this issue:

Batman: Secret Files – Miracle Molly #1

Speaking of Tynion’s OCs, I have to say I really enjoyed this one-shot. It’s not really connected to the Fear State event, but it is a good character study in this new character and her life before becoming Miracle Molly. The story does a great job putting us in Mary/Molly’s mind, dealing with things that I think a lot of people struggle with – living life the way you want, the way you dream, doing something that matters, at least to you, and how the world around seems to be constantly forcing you away. The dialogue from Tynion and the storytelling by Dani really sells this story.

I don’t know if Miracle Molly will stick and become part of the massive supporting cast of Gotham, but the potential is there, and I’m kind of rooting for her.

Catwoman #35

Really enjoyed this issue – Ram V continues to do amazing work writing a Selina that feels authentic, continuing what seems to be a really intriguing plot of her running this little segment of Alleytown. The initial monologue from Clayface really poetically defines what this event is about and I love the idea of these semi-reformed villains working together to protect Alleytown. I’m not sure if this is a thing that’s been going on during Ram V’s run – again, I REALLY need to read through his run – but it’s something I always like to see and highlights why Batman/Gotham has some of the best Rogues in comics.

Another thing I want to shout out is the art. I don’t think I’ve read anything with
Nina Vakueva before, but now I’m hoping we see more of them in the future. The art is moody, beautiful, dynamic and clear, it does exactly what is needed for this sort of Catwoman story, and I hope she sticks around for the rest of the arc and we see more of her soon.

5 Likes

Really fascinating thoughts you have here! I also love the Simon and Scarecrow stuff - my podcast cohost complained that it was just two dudes talking…but I dunno. I liked it a lot. Federici’s art was also really great.

My understanding of the Ivy plot is that after the Harley and Ivy miniseries by Houser, there wasn’t really a real resolution of the multiple Ivy situation, and so Tynion was working to resolve that himself.

Catwoman having the Good Ivy was more a situation that she rescued Ivy from Simon Saint, and didn’t really know about Queen Ivy under Gotham. And Good Ivy was very incoherent, so she didn’t really give Catwoman much of an update on what should happen next.

I think the semi-duplication between Batman 112 and Alpha was because DC told Tynion they were going to sell the Batman arc by itself, so he had to make sure it could actually be sold by itself. I hate that, but…DC’s collection policies are wacky.

I do completely agree that the first half of Joker War and the first half of Fear State very much feel the same, structurally, but I think while the Alfred device is more emotional, and Batman #98 is one of my favorite issues of Tynion’s whole run (and Batman issues period), I like how it works with Fear State better - it feels better setup and executed to me (which is my opinion of Fear State generally).

And Jorge is just…so amazing. I’m so happy he’s still on Batman. I hope DC keeps him happy for a long time to come!

I Am Batman - I’m just not a fan of the series, and don’t have a ton to say about it, sadly. Fortunately for event discussion, it doesn’t really contribute that much to the whole story.

Tynion is definitely playing with the overall tribalisation and polarization in the air, but in a way that doesn’t feel heavy handed or didactic. I really appreciate it, since I come from different perspective than many comic book commentors. (I feel the same about the way he and Sam Johns constructed Punchline - clearly an example of political and violent radicalization, but not a clear metaphor for any real world group.)

The Miracle Molly one shot is amazing. Even though it IS basically Batman Returns Catwoman but cyberpunk. :slight_smile: I really felt for Molly and her family. Lots of great emotions.

Catwoman was a really solid addition to Fear State, though I miss Fernando Blanco’s art - he’s one of my faves. The fill in art was generally very good, though. I am quite cranky that Cheshire seems to be getting a redemption arc without actually, you know, being sorry for nuking Bludhaven (though I’ve been told that “that didn’t happen”, to which I say “but that’s what Death Metal means???” sigh).

Anyway, awesome thoughts - thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Don’t think about it, never think about it. Come up with your own personal head canon timeline, write it up in a massive google doc and get mad whenever DC contradicts it (what noooooo I’m not doing that shut up).

5 Likes

I just am sick of DC trying to tell me that “redemption” means “ignore the bad stuff they did”. They did it right with Harley. But everyone else they’re trying it with - Poison Ivy, Cheshire - not so much. “They dindu nuffing” just doesn’t work.

5 Likes

Here’s the thing, a lot of people really really hate how Cheshire got to “blow up Blüdhaven”, and find it character assassination. As I see it they are retconning the things that made her this irredeemable monster lady (a thing that has happened to quite a few women of color at DC in the past two decades) so that they can work more on what they find to be the more sympathetic version. And considering clearly they’ve changed a few things about her past already (Blüdhaven is around again, her daughter is alive) it’s not that hard to believe she’s been restored to original characterization.
Or at least, that’s what I’ve heard, I’ve read very little of her appearances and am basing this on what I’ve heard. I have no horse in the race, my pet assassinated characters are Maxwell Lord and Amanda Waller and no one is retconning away their crimes anytime soon.

4 Likes

Just saying “it didn’t happen” isn’t redemption, though. It really frustrates me, after what Death Metal supposedly said - “all the good and bad we’ve done” - it all happened. If they just delete stuff…that’s cheap.

4 Likes

Nightwing #84

Nightwing was in a very interesting place when this book came out. Hot on the heels of a very successful relaunch of the book by Tom Taylor that was able to take the book to a back-to-basics style after the controversial “Ric Grayson Saga”, but not being afraid to play with some new developments with Dick. So throwing a successful book into a big crossover can be a hit or miss proposition.

I think with this issue at least they do a fairly good job of making this event work with what Taylor was doing with his previous arc by comparing Bludhaven, the city that Dick is going all in to protect both as Nightwing and the new billionaire Dick Grayson, to Gotham as it’s started to be squeezed by the Magistrate. Gotham becomes a twisted reflection of what Bludhaven could become when a magnetic billionaire comes in promising to make (insert city here) great again.

But I think it’s fair to say that whole story takes a backseat to something that the book really does best, and that’s fan service. We get a great action scene of Batman and Nightwing fighting Magistrate agents, with a good mix of well drawn action and after, some nice, fluffy character interaction, if not outright development.

I think the biggest thing this issue introduces is Barbara Gordon’s new Batgirl outfit. While Barbara has played a pretty big role in both Batman, The Joker and Nightwing after Joker War, it was in the role of Oracle after the events of Joker War made her spine implant less reliable. But after a little over half a year without, fans of her as Batgirl (tentatively raises hand) we finally get to see her suit up, and I have to say I love her new costume. It feels like a proper evolution of her Burnside outfit, something that has all it’s aesthetics while not sticking out too much from other more armored/traditional superhero costumes like Nightwing’s or Batman’s.

Overall I like it – it feels connected to the Fear State event, seemingly dealing the most with the Seer/Anti-Oracle angle, but still keeping with the tone and themes of what Nightwing has been dealing with before. The only downside is the lack of Bruno Redondo on art, but Robbi Rodriguez, while not as technically impressive, does the job fairly well.

Detective Comics #1043

When you get Batman centric events, it can be hard to figure out what to do with Detective Comics, since you have to figure out a different angle with a book that has the same lead. I think writer Mariko Tamaki does a decent job with this by focusing on a character that she had been using since the start of her run in Mayor Nakano and the political fallout that comes from this deal with the Magistrate. The end of the issue even hints at the return of Vile, the villain she created and used in the previous arc of Detective. So the idea of Batman having to deal with Nakano, someone who has been fighting him since the start of his tenure definitely seems like a solid approach to make this book feel different enough to supplement the event rather than stretch it thin.

Also, I have to talk about Dan Mora’s art. I think it’s fair to say at this point that Mora is well on his way to becoming one of the hottest new artists in the field right now.

The back-up featuring Jason and Deb Donovan was solid, if probably really confusing to anyone who hasn’t read it or it had been a while since you read the previous issues (raises hand again). The last page does do a good job at making you at least curious to look at the Task Force Z series. I also have to say that while the Darick Robinson art was solid, it always surprises me when I see his work on superhero comics, because I just associate his art almost exclusively with Transmetropolitan.

Harley Quinn #7

So last time we saw Harley during this event, in the pages of Catwoman, she was making her way to Alleytown with The Gardner to get Ivy. So with this issue of Harley Quinn, naturally we get…Harley and Kevin in the woods with her support group as they rescue an adorable little pug named Waffle from a bear. While we do meet with Gardner at the end of the issue, so presumably we will get close to where they were at the end of that issue, but this definitely shows that the official reading list for this isn’t as ironclad as you might think. I’m sure it’ll work out in the end, but it is kind of funny to see. This makes me wonder just how the hell this event is going to (or already has?) been collected in trade, because this might be a thing where it works well enough when read weekly, but will be harder to swallow in a collection.

Anyway, the issue itself is pretty good – Riley Rossmo again does very expressive and chaotic stuff, making it the most unique looking book for the event, which is probably fitting for Harley. The stuff with Keepsake and his Dollar Store Brand Villains was funny, and it’s neat to see that Hugo Strange is still lurking around.

The stuff with Harley and Kevin and Harley being confronted with her trying to do too many things works okay right now, but I think is a little too early. I mean, we’ve barely seen her interact with the support group or even really look for Ivy, so I don’t feel like it’s really warranted yet. It also doesn’t feel that unique, because Harley in the Palmiotti/Conner era had similar things with being a landlord/psychologist/roller derby player/leader of a superhero team for hire/probably a couple other things I’m forgetting. It’s not bad, it’s well written, but it just doesn’t feel earned just yet.

6 Likes

Nightwing I’m one of the few people who is not a fan of the current run, but that’s a whole complex other issue. I do think that this was one of the more fun tie-ins to the Fear State event, and it does feel a tad bit essential to explain how all the Batfamily come together in the final issue of Batman. And I think Babs’s new Batgirls outfit is really just a baggier looking Burnside look. I never hated the Burnside look, but this one doesn’t do a ton for me, and I’m pretty disappointed that the same artist is guest-drawing in the Batgirls title, meaning we’re getting more of the wrinkly costume. Plus, Seer/Anti-Oracle is one of the most frustrating continued dangling threads from the event. Sigh. Apologies for the crankiness. I really am not a fan of this run for a lot of reasons that really aren’t relevant to Fear State.

Detective Comics…this whole arc is really just “more Parasite in a vaguely Fear State related city”. I don’t dislike it, but at this point, it had been nearly a year of Parasite related plotlines, and I really was done with it. But Dan Mora art is truly amazing. It’s not usual to have someone who can challenge Jorge Jimenez for title of best artist in an event, but Mora does so easily. (I have to disagree that the backup makes one curious about Task Force Z - I actually was super unexcited about the series because of these backups, even though when I tried the series itself, I actually enjoyed it a lot).

As for Harley…I think that the three issues of Harley take place before the three issues of Catwoman, but I’m not sure. But Harley books are often very hard to place in connection to continuity.

8 Likes

Batman #114

This was a solid issue – between past couple of installments of the main book and the tie-ins, it kind of feels like the Fear State event was kind of running in place. This issue does manage to give the story some forward momentum, but not without some cool character stuff too.

The conversation between Miracle Molly and (ahem) Queen Ivy was pretty well done. It’s a conversation about why someone could have faith in or believe in people and it’s definitely something that can resonate. It’s a conversation that works even better having read the Secret Files issue featuring Miracle Molly, and knowing Molly’s backstory before she got the Unsanity treatment, because I think Pamala Isley and Mary Kowalski would have had a lot in common.

Also, just gotta say, while I do think the name is a little cheesy (hard to beat the classic), the costume design and how she moves and carries herself does make me accept the Queen Ivy title a little more. Not something I’d want her to be forever, but it works for this moment, mostly because of Jorge Jimenez’s art.

Also, RIP Peacekeeper X, 2021-2021. He died as he lived – barely mattering. That’s a little mean. Seriously though, what happened with Peacekeepr X just further develops Peacekeeper 01’s further decent into madness and villainy. Without any further insights into Sean’s mind it feels a little stereotypical, but it’s effective, again especially with the art selling both the action and emotion.

Overall, good stuff.

As an aside, does anyone else have a problem mixing up Peacekeeper with Peacemaker? Now that I think about it, I wonder how this story could be different if it was Peacemaker in this role instead of Sean.

Oh, and the Clownhunter back-up, I don’t think I’ve mentioned it once! It’s decent. Clownhunter’s a character I can kinda take or leave, but at least the art in his story was really effective. I especially liked the splash pages that have the title name in the background – classic Eisner move, respect.

8 Likes

The Miracle Molly Secret File, despite NOT being a secret file (where’s my pinup page with stats?) is a really great issue, and definitely important for this event!

Jorge just makes so much work. It’s amazing!

Poor Peacekeeper X. I liked him so much more than Peacekeeper 01. Though I do like the Peacekeeper 01 Secret Files! And absolutely I get Peacemaker and Peacekeeper mixed up all the time. Ghostmaker isn’t helping at all either!

Clownhunter backup suffered way too much from “it’s all a dream” for me. And the fact that Brandon Thomas didn’t get to write the Outsiders title that he was clearly setting up. :frowning:

7 Likes

What you have described is the same pacing for No Man’s Land. I remember there being one issue setting up was happening and then 3-4 books repeating that, some issues featured other characters, but the repetition got old.

4 Likes

@LaserPuff we gotta find a way to get someone to Yankee stadium on the 24th for u.

4 Likes

Arkham City: The Order of the World #1

Again, another issue that seems…tenuously related to Fear State at best, but still pretty cool. It’s interesting seeing the Arkham inmates from not just the perspective of the cops cleaning up their messes, but from a psychologist who sympathizes with them and still wants to help them despite all the harm and horror they’ve done.

It was also a cool way to explore some rogues that haven’t gotten much spotlight lately or even at all, like Mad Hatter, Ratcatcher and the Ten-Eyed Man. Especially that last one…oooh boy, they really amped up his creep factor in this issue.

Should be interesting to see where this story goes, especially since this psychologist seems to be toeing the fine line between helping and enabling her patients.

Batman: Urban Legends #8

First, I want to talk about the story that involves Fear State the least but might be my favorite story in the issue, the Professor Pyg story “Little Pyg Little Pyg” written and drawn by Christian Ward. I haven’t seen him write anything before, but it’s a very well done short story and of course beautifully drawn. I enjoyed the idea of a little Bruce being so aghast at the wolf losing against the three little pigs because Bruce would be more prepared.

The Azrael story was interesting in that I’m not sure how I feel about taking Jean-Paul in this direction. On one hand, I liked how Jean-Paul was presented in Tynion’s Detective Comics, where he was a reasonably chill but deeply faithful man and his friendship with his almost exact opposite in Luke Fox/Batwing. On the other hand, it could be said that may not be the most dramatic version that is possible for him, and having him be more conflicted in his faith and a need for vengeance might be more compelling. I just hope he doesn’t go too down the deep end. The bit with Azrael explaining where he’s been to Batman by just casually saying he was in space was also pretty funny – like the universe is so weird that he can just say that and Batman’s like “okay, that tracks.”

I have to say I also liked the art for the story here – either that or I’m just a sucker for the whole…I don’t know how to describe it, when the artist lays out the entire building and shows how the fight or escape moves through the building. Does that make sense?

The Outsiders was also pretty cool in how they decided to approach the tie-in. First, I kinda dig the idea of the Outsiders being a team with a focus on a “guest star” for when a hero needs extra help, and the idea of this team helping Frankenstein was a fun way to start the story. The idea of having a Black Lightning from the future trying to fix things works well too as it incorporates what the creative team previously did during Future State rather well.

Finally, the Batwoman story was also solid and probably the most related to Fear State, dealing with Seer framing Cassandra. It was interesting seeing Kate and Cassandra working together again after the events of Tynion’s Detective Comics run. I don’t remember if they really reconsiled during that event, but I’m wondering/hoping we get a little tension from that story – Kate did try to kill Cass’ friend, after all…

I Am Batman #2

It’s funny how of all the rogues they decide to kill off in this story/event, it’s Anarky – I would think he most of all would be into what was going on. I could almost see him working as a useful pawn for Seer.

Anyway, this was an interesting issue. It does try to address what the kind of fear and paranoia that Scarecrow/Seer/Simon Saint is trying to create. Seeing someone who’s essentially a teen (I think, comic artists can sometimes not be the greatest at drawing kids/teens) destroy their life because of what Scarecrow is doing is horrifying, and I liked the scene of Renee convincing Jace’s mother to represent the kid. I think this is also the first time they’ve hinted at Renee’s time as The Question.

I also liked the art here. Stephen Segovia isn’t as big a name as Olivier Coipel but definitely is similarly strong at action and character.

Speaking of that last panel…

5 Likes

That would be awesome!

4 Likes

Batman #115

This issue immediately feels different with most of the art being done by artist Bengal. Bengal’s a solid artist, but I do feel like his cartoony nature not only sticks out in comparison to the previous issues of Batman, but kind of diludes the creepy, horrorific tone the book is going for.

As for the story itself, we get to see Simon Saint completely degenerate to lunacy. It’s weird, because I feel like it hasn’t been fully earned – like the guy who was his secretary and then Peacekeeper X died, but I don’t recall ever seeing why Simon cares so much for the guy, so it kind of sticks out.

However, I did like the expansion we saw of both Queen Ivy and Mister Wyze in their scenes together. I’m kind of surprised I didn’t think of Wyze being connected to the Mad Hatter.

But we can’t forget about the Batgirls second feature! It’s solid, feels like a solid introduction/prelude to the then-upcoming Batgirls book, with the writer and artist basically hitting the ground running. Seer definitely comes off as a creepy and deeply personal villain for Barbara especially.

6 Likes

I do like Bengal’s work here, though I am a bit puzzled why they had to go to a fill in schedule for their big Batman event. Maybe they thought that Tynion was leaving, so they didn’t need to really scramble to make sure the schedule was doable by Jimenez?

Batgirls feature was pretty fun! Definitely a nice integration with the Nightwing stuff.

5 Likes

I think the Batman book went to twice a week during the Fear State event as well.

5 Likes