Inferior 5!

thanks, Chief! i’ll have to check it out, too

https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/blue-beetle-2006/922e0fb9-c4dd-4422-a442-13ab96e13729

2 Likes

This is all amazing! Thank you. I literally just got done reading Ambush Man #1 & 2 on the app and just came back to comment how I was literally LMAO reading them. I’m definitely gonna search them out and own physical copies of this series now! Awesome suggestions too, I will eventually read all of those!

1 Like

Also when I searched Giffen’s name on the app I discovered I definitely own some of his work, I have the “trade” (as I call it) of the Lobo’s Back series. So younger me had decent taste at least, lol.

2 Likes

i’m glad we could help, and that you enjoy Ambush Bug! (he has some great guest appearances in action comics, too, but they’re not on the app just yet.)

1 Like

Some picks from my stash of Giffen Goodness (they don’t relate to the Inferior 5, but they’re worth reading in any event):

Lobo: Infanticide

Giffen and Lobo go together like peanut butter and chocolate. They just do.

Doctor Fate (1987)

Giffen pencilled this rather underrated tale of the good doctor.

DC/Wildstorm: Dreamwar

A rip-roaring, tip-top tale of two universes!

OMAC (2011-2012)

Giffen’s first severely underrated New 52 gem.

Threshold (2013)

Giffen’s second, severely underrated New 52 ongoing, and the most underrated Green Lantern-related title of The New 52.

3 Likes

thanks, @Vroom! i just finished that fate mini last week! man i love giffen’s art in the '80s, whether he was aping another artist’s style or not

p.s. he totally was

1 Like

starts to eat a nanner

Whose work do you think he was copying, Biff?

finishes nanner

1 Like

Jose Munoz :tired_face:

DvUNmgA

2 Likes

JLI had a lot of tongue in cheek & sarcastic fun.

I would also recommend some of the silver age Superman “imaginary” stories. They were the precursors to Elseworlds and it was at a time when the CCA was really in effect. They have an absurdist edge not unlike Inferior 5. In this case they are funny because they are using absurdist principles and taking them “seriously”. Some are very subversive when you look past the expressed storyline to the meta-objective of the work.

2 Likes

thank you, @DeSade-acolyte!

1 Like

Big thumbs up for this thread. I am so saddened by the shortening of this series. Giffen is truly an American Treasure. The world of comics are much better with him than without him.

I love Inferior Five. Giffen and Lemire are the pairing I never realized I needed.

2 Likes

I once asked Keith Giffen why he made an unpopular change to Blue Beetle in his Rebirth series. I’ll love him forever for his answer.

“I’m sorry: do you think I write comics to make YOU happy?”

6 Likes

:laughing: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

In addition to the other recommendations, Quantum and Woody is a very funny superhero comic. Also check out The Superior Foes of Spider-Man for a great take on comic book villains.

1 Like

If you think about it, Ambush Bug is the original Deadpool. Ambush Bug is the first (or one of the first) comic book character to break the fourth wall and comment on comic books.

Giffen also created a similar character called the Heckler in the early '90s.

4 Likes

So many fun books from a notorious crumdrunge. Love it!

1 Like

did you just spontaneously coin a new word??? exciting!

That’s exactly what I was thinking while reading that series!

1 Like

I highly recommend the LoSH “five years gap” storyline. In my opinion, Giffen is at his best when he’s steering somebody else. The Bierbaum’s seem like great people, but Giffen is definitely pulling the strings. He’s providing layouts and plots and dialogue. And at the end of the day, he’s creating completely awesome and relatable characters for some of the most outlandish stories in the entire DC universe. Sometimes it’s funny, sometimes it’s tragic. But it’s always completely engrossing. I’ve never read a Giffen tale I didn’t like.

3 Likes