Impromptu Unofficial Book Club: Warlord Week 2

@MisfitCMJ @msgtv (In my best old man voice) Well, it was back in the days of the spinner rack. Back then we were never sure if we would get the next issue.

I’m not an indelible memory guy, so I either started on issue 2 or 5. I clearly remember finding issues 1 and 4 at a Woolworth’s where the comics were sold at a discount ($0.13 each) and there was a large display table that I would dig through in search of back issues.

I also remember one of my first trips to a comic shop in downtown Cleveland on the third floor of the old arcade (which is now a hotel) which I bought Warlord issue #3 for $4.00 and I also picked up Cerebus #1. For 1st Issue Special #8 I remember mailing away to order it (maybe from DC).

After that I never missed an issue. Many were bought off the spinner rack and I eventually started taking the bus downtown monthly and picked up my comics at Cosmic Comics. I never had a pull list, I just used the Comics Reader to track all the new issues.

9 Likes

That’s why Cleveland is the best was my takeaway.

4 Likes

I think it’s a tie between Ollie and Travis followed closely by Pierce.

Both Ollie and Travis have that b*tchin’ 70s hair and cool sideburns. They could almost be twins.

And Mike Grell did have them meet in Green Arrow #27 & 28 where Morgan complained about being mistaken for Ollie.

So, Pierce comes in second, but would be my first choice for a live action movie.

4 Likes

Agreed. Almost went with the side by side, same pic with Arrow & Warlord but I was already locked into single photos.

2 Likes

If you search Warlord, you get 39 books some of which do not have Travis Morgan. These I think do, but the search doesn’t even include the 1st Issue Special so we are probably missing more. We need a master Travis Morgan on DCU list. This is a wiki, so add to it if you know something not listed.

• Warlord (1975) 114-155
  • Justice League Task Force (1993) #5
  • The Teen Titans (1996) #9-10
  • Aquaman (1994) #72-73
  • Thunder Agents (2011) #1-3
  • Challengers of the Unkown (2018) #3
  • Secret Origins (1986) #16
  • Trinity (2016) #18, 22
  • 1st Issue Special #8
Links

DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe
DC Universe

4 Likes

Yes! It’s about time this title is showing up. Love that Warlord logo. Could belong to a band.

5 Likes

So, what’s next Impromptu Unofficial Book Club? I think chronologically it would be Secret Origins.

As for when I started reading Warlord. I think?? I read this before. It would have been right near the time I stopped reading comics entering high school. Picked comics back up in fall of '82 when a roommate at training gave me X-Men by Claremont to read. I know I read Warlord in the '80s because it was such a unique corner of the DCU.

5 Likes

He sure is one smart adventurer. I would have never thought, hey, I obviously flew through a giant while that no one ever anywhere knew about before!

That’s one of his best qualities! You can’t fight strange reptiles without a goatee.

Are you kidding? I AM wearing that outfit.

The panel that looks like the inside cover that looks like the cover.

Boy, he must have good facial hair.

5 Likes

We now know @ralphsix loves they look of his legs in that outfit, cause you ain’t wearing that if you don’t

5 Likes

Watch out Warworlders, I’m reliably informed at @SuperBlueGrodd is lurking about. Will he read Warlord, will he join the Impromptu Unofficial Book Club: Warlord? Can he pull off that goatee and outfit? Stay tuned.

5 Likes

Well I suppose it is to late to turn back now! I most definitely will give it a read!

5 Likes

@ralphsix I can rock the VanDyke when I need to. Like this past Halloween when I dressed up as another certain multi-billionaire.

7 Likes

And proof that my thick beautiful chest hair is real and not some trick using the fur from my dogs.

5 Likes

Erroll Grell?

4 Likes

@TravisMorgan nice Tony Stark!

4 Likes

HaHa. When I was little my friend took toothpaste & ripped stuffed animal fur off my other buddies, well, stuffed animal. All in an attempt to buy us cigarettes at age 13 & it worked!!! He just put it on his face & minutes later walked out with cigs :joy:.

5 Likes

How tall were you people at age 13?!

3 Likes

Smoking is bad for you!

3 Likes

I quit 20yrs plus ago, & @AnonymousHQ he was 5”6 maybe 5”7 at that time. Absolutely no way it should’ve worked. We were laughing the entire time.

3 Likes

I can’t imagine the guy at the register :rofl:!

3 Likes