I'm making a DC Comics guitar!

One of my guitars got damaged a few years ago, and I took it to the first guy I could find that promised to make it look great again… Didn’t go so well. Well now I’m doing something about it! So far I have mod podged clippings of some of my favorite DC characters and such from comic books all over the top of my guitar! I’m in the process of deciding where to go from here (what kind of lacquer to use, how many more layers of mod podge glue to do first, what kind of grain filler if any), if you have any suggestions, I’m all ears! :slight_smile:
Edit: don’t mind my foot

69 Likes

I don’t have any suggestion, but that’s looking really cool.

7 Likes

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

3 Likes

Wow. That’s really cool!

3 Likes

Thank you : D

3 Likes

What an incredible guitar! Amazing work!

3 Likes

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

It looks so cool so far! :open_mouth: I’m sure it’ll be gorgeous once it’s all done.

I’d love to hear more about your process. Will you be adding resin, varnish, or another sealant, if you don’t mind my asking?

3 Likes

@ZatannaAndHerSpells Thanks so much! And I don’t mind at all :slight_smile: I’m still deciding what I’m going to do to finish it. I kinda got ahead of myself and sprayed it with some Rust-Oleum gloss spray, and I did an awful job haha. Luckily I was able to save it by just drenching the whole thing in mod podge, mixing it around, and diluting the gloss. I’m currently practicing spraying some paper I mod podged onto a piece of cardboard for practice and to see how I like the result of many coats on top of it. I may end up trying to find some grain filler to smooth out the roughness of the paper and the pieces that overlap and sand that down to make it smooth. I may also order some guitar lacquer from stewmac. Lots is really up in the air at this point haha. If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears!

3 Likes

So great!!! Great job dude

4 Likes

Thank you! : D

1 Like

Very cool and can’t wait to see it all finished!

3 Likes

Thanks so much, I can’t either : D

1 Like

You can totally thrash some DC Movie/TV scores on that thing!

2 Likes

That is awesome!

3 Likes

Nice work!

My wife personalizes my comics boxes the same way.

2 Likes

Dope! What model is it?

2 Likes

Looks awesome so far!! Makes me wonder what other things you could decorate like that!!

3 Likes

This is amazing! Good luck with it. Are you using a reference like youtube videos to guide you or is it more trial and error?

2 Likes

Thank you! It is (was) a PRS SE Tremonti. Upgrades include stainless steel frets, Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups, and a Gotoh wraparound bridge : D

3 Likes