I'm Curious What Is Everyone’s Favorite Comic Series

Justice League International. The Giffen/Matteis stuff including the two minis.

8 Likes

I’m not really reading anything new right now.

All-time: Depends. On the basis of concept, historical significance, and starring my favorite character, Detective Comics (1937). On the basis of average entertainment value per issue, Birds of Prey (1999). For a favorite single run, I could also lean towards Dixon’s Nightwing.

2 Likes

Doom Patrol :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve got to agree with you! I loved all the injustice comics. I didn’t play the video games but those comics were the first I really read and got me into more comics. I loved how every character seemed to be in them so I was introduced to so many, and they did a great job portraying the characters essential nature.

I also like elseworld/what if storylines because you can get stories like flashpoint and injustice where you say, “yeah I could see character doing that in that situation” like Wonder Woman leading the Amazons to take over the world in a righteous war. Those stories often allow you to figure out the true nature of a character, what doesn’t change in any story and that can be forgotten in the normal continuity.

2 Likes

Current–Daredevil
All-time–forever and always…The Legion of Super-Heroes!

1 Like

So many favorites!

First and foremost, Batgirl: Stephanie Brown is just one of my all time favorites. So beautifully done, satisfying, and rich with detail and character, not to mention great art for almost the whole thing!

Second, my most recent favorite run to conclude: Deathstroke by Christopher Priest. I also love Tom King’s Batman, but that was a much more uneven run.

James Tynion’s Detective Comics is a run I didn’t think I would ever get, and even though it has a few flaws, it is simply more than I ever thought I’d get - a Batfamily run that has Stephanie Brown in a starring role, honors all of the characters, and is enormously entertaining. (I also love the precursor to this run, Batman Eternal)

Gail Simone’s run on Birds of Prey (#56-108) was my first run that I loved, and I love it to this day.

Checkmate by Greg Rucka - probably my favorite Rucka run, and also probably the first one I read as a larger piece (I read a few bits of his Tec run before that, but Checkmate I read in trades as a teen).

4 Likes

Current DC- IDK. I’m a bit behind on RHATO because I’m reading them as they come out on here. I’ve been following Nightwing and it is my most recent favorite up until Ric. It’s been boring to follow. Reading all the way through the current Batman up to where it’s at now. Only on issue 16 though. I like it pretty good. Other than the fact that Bruce and Selina call each other Bat and Cat. At least they work together.

Current non-DC- definitely Daredevil

All time DC- I’m going to say Batman because that consists of Year One, Hush, and Under the Red Hood and all kinds of classics. UTRH is definitely my favorite though. Am looking to get into some more pre-new 52 stuff though. Like Grell’s Green Arrow run or all of Marv Wolfman’s run on Teen Titans. I want to read some Nightwing runs but I don’t know which ones are the best to read.

All time non-DC- All of Old Man Logan. From the event in Wolverine in, to Dead Man Logan. Particularly issues 1-25. Looking to read all of Miller’s run.

P.S. - Sorry. I wrote way more than I meant to.

1 Like

Batman 1939 - Present

2 Likes

im glad to see a stephanie brown on here, out of all the robins, not many people know her

2 Likes

Well, as she said in Heroes in Crisis #9 - everyone forgets.

But I never do! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ongoing — Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen
All-time — All-Star Superman/Mister Miracle (don’t make me pick)

2 Likes

Ahh… Checkmate. I love that book. Have you read Queen & Country? I discovered that after CM. It’s not just “as good,” it’s better.

I’ve read the third volume of the oversized paperback collections (where Tara goes back home, and then gets captured on a mission), as well as one or two of the later Tara novels. I prefer Checkmate, a bit, because there’s a certain optimism that working for DC that reigns in some of Rucka’s more despairing tendencies. Perhaps it’s “more real” - but I like being inspired by my comics, and Checkmate does that while still acknowledging much of the cost of espionage.

Also, I just love Sasha Bordeaux.

1 Like

I will say: declaring Queen & Country better than Checkmate is a little like declaring The Godfather better than Star Wars.

It’s true, but we all know which one we have more fun watching.

1 Like

DC favorites: I love Batman and Detective Comics. I’m really enjoying Batgirl and Justice League Dark

One of my favorite comics that has ended is Fables. I’ve got every TP of it. Love that series.

Non DC related: I love reading Amazing Spider-Man and the many Star Wars comics Marvel is doing.

I’ve also recently read the TP of Paper Girls and I loved that and I’m in the middle of reading Brian K Vaughan’s Saga right now and it’s super good.

injustice is the best!!

1 Like

okay i just finished issue 1 of the stephanie brown batgirl and i have to say its freaking fantastic

3 Likes

i just finished issue 1 of the stephanie brown batgirl and its freaking fantastic

1 Like

So happy to hear that! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Currently… I really look forward to Tomasi’s storytelling in the Detective Comics run. Also… anybody following Marvels Black Cat? It’s just fun!

All-time… Roy Thomas, John Buscema’s Conan The Barbarian in the 70’s.
And Batman by Frank Miller in the 80’s (Year One and Dark Knight Returns)
Oh, just remembered… also… Cassandra Cain as Batgirl in early 2000’s)

1 Like