If Your Favorite DC Character Didn’t Exist…

Unabashedly stealing @bigblock66’s format to create a list here.

Superman is my favorite character. Here’s an old post that explains the why and how.

If Superman didn’t exist my favorite DC character would be Wonder Woman. She’s one of the most powerful characters in the DC Universe, a demigod, yet one of the kindest, most compassionate as well. If Superman is the moral center of the DC Trinity, and Batman is its mind, then Wonder Woman is its heart. Admittedly, though she’s high on my list, I need to read more of her stories.

If Wonder Woman didn’t exist, my favorite character would be, no surprise here, Batman. I mean, he’s the face of DC, no doubt about it. A brilliant detective, a tactician that has a plan for almost everything, a billionaire with some of the most amazing tech aiding him in his crusade against crime, a regular man that pushed his body and mind to its absolute limits to make himself the best of the best. Just an all around cool character.

If Batman didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be a Green Lantern, probably Hal Jordan or John Stewart. I like space sci fi, and Green Lantern stories provide that, but they also provide it mixed with some mystical elements (power rings, Guardians, etc). I like Hal’s swagger, and John’s no nonsense attitude.

If Green Lantern didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be Cyborg. Admittedly, this is about the concept and power set. Being digitally connected to everything and having a built-in arsenal of weapons is pretty cool. I also like the ying and yang of his human side vs machine side.

If Cyborg didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be Green Arrow. The CW show really elevated this character for me. Some of the best fight scenes on TV, coupled with quite a bit of heart. I like him in the comics too, with his quick wit and undying love for Black Canary. Their panels together are always fun.

If Green Arrow didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be Harley Quinn. I’m a bit surprised I just wrote that. I’m usually into the more powerful characters, but lately I’ve been liking Harley more & more, especially the current version, as opposed to a pure villain. She’s one of few characters in DC that make me laugh, both on the page and on the screen. She’s got more layers than her fun, humorous attitude lets on. Also she’s a sneaky capable fighter that’s stood up to both villains and superheroes.

Then again… I’ve already mentioned “if Batman didn’t exist”, so at this point he’s off the board. Would Harley exist as the antihero we know today without Bats? I’m gonna give her some credit and say she would see the light on her own :slightly_smiling_face:.

7 Likes

@moro As I figured, you’d hit your list out of the ballpark! Salute my brother!!
And I’m thinking I should have placed WW higher on my list.
Really great list and terrific thoughts. :star_struck: :sunglasses: :metal:

6 Likes

That’s Grifter in the first picture, right? Don’t know a whole lot about him, but there was a story in Future State featuring him that read like a 90s action movie. It was both funny and exciting; made me want to check out more of his comics.

7 Likes

@moro your list even got Black Adam winkin’ :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ha! Thanks, brother.

Love Dwayne Johnson. Have a feeling he might put Black Adam over the top for me when the movie comes out. Although what they’re doing with the character now in the comics is definitely drawing my interest.

6 Likes

To be honest, Grifter hasn’t had the best time in DCU. I hear that he’s getting better stories in Batman.

Point Blank is a good Grifter story available on dcui.

5 Likes

This is so true. The more comics I read, the more I appreciate how the 3 characters of the Trinity really compliment each other. :00_superman1: :00_batman_1989: :00_wonder_woman_1982:

6 Likes

My activities as a DC fan pretty much revolve around the three of ‘em. So iconic :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

If Wonder Woman didn’t exist, then :cry:

I haven’t actually read DC widely. I have focused on a few series and a few characters over the years. My DC favorite has changed over time.

I liked Batman from when this came out. I still have around 50 graphic novels or so because Elseworlds was too much fun and the movie was damn good.

I read and liked Green Arrow since I randomly picked up this issue in a comic store (I thought he was an elf because I read too much Lord of the Rings or something. I feel embarrassed about it but it feels good to share). I stayed because Mike Grell writes a mean comic. I sold my comics years ago but ended up buying the graphic novels. Great stuff.

I joined DCU because I saw this movie and decided I wanted to read every comic about them. It was fun. I think the original series was the best.

I talked my wife into watching this and we both loved it. I ended up reading all the Doom Patrol comics. It was also fun, and often confusingly weird.

Who would be my first place DC choice after Wonder Woman? Well, I guess Etta Candy is off the table, so….

Runner Up #3: Amanda Waller

Hey, you said character not hero. The Wall is focused and ruthless, and always seems to come out on top, even when dealing with insane criminals or the Justice League. She has a compelling backstory that makes her motivation believable. I want someone like her protecting the world in a way superheros can’t.

Remember when we were voting on what comics DC could make next and there was one with Etta Candy and the Wall? Why didn’t you vote for that? Where was your support then? Never mind. I still haven’t forgiven you.

Runner Up #2: Rita Farr
The original Doom Patrol series was more of a straightforward superhero book than under the wacky later years, but I really enjoyed it and Rita was the powerhouse of the team. I am sure the TV show influenced me as I really like her on the show as well.

Runner Up #1: Captain Boomerang

Okay, first of all, that…is…a…look! He is just hilarious and is probably the most realistic character, because what would it really be like to be in a Suicide Squad? Osterland took what was a silly throwaway character and made him into for me the most memorable part of the original Squad. Plus, check out how he is bonking the flash on the head in that pic. That is solid comedy right there, my friends.

The Winnah!: Crazy Jane

Again, influenced by the show. Morrison created an amazing character. So many fragmented personalities, each with their own power, living together in the Underground of her mind. Tragic, broken, surviving as best she can.

I guess what I’ve learned here is that I know Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Doom Patrol, and almost nothing else DC.

5 Likes

I like your choices. Definitely a misfit theme throughout, what with all the Doom Patrol and Suicide Squad choices :slightly_smiling_face:. Yes I did say “character”, so everyone in DC’s sandbox is fair game. Thanks for sharing!

Must say Doom Patrol took a DC property I knew nothing about and turned into a show that I’ve come to really like. Robotman and Crazy Jane are my favorites.

4 Likes

So this is basically who is your second favorite DC character right?

If Rorschach didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be Bane, because he’s a self made man who grew up in the worst of conditions and became the best challenge to Batman physically and mentally.

5 Likes

My biggest mental challenge is playing Hawkgirl in Connect 4.

4 Likes

I suppose it is… though “not existing” has its implications. If Batman didn’t exist, would there be a Robin, for instance?

Thanks for sharing; I never thought of Bane that way :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

If the Warlord didn’t exist, my favorite DC character would be Green Arrow, because they both have goatees. No!!! Just kidding!

I really love Green Arrow starting with his revamp by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams. I also really enjoyed the Long Bow Hunters that turned Ollie into an urban hunter. Being a huge Mike Grell fan I ate up his run on Green Arrow which highly influenced the Arrow TV show. I also like that he is a street level hero who is fighting for the little guy. And that he has no super powers. Just practice and dedication.

And he has a beautiful girlfriend!

8 Likes

If Batman did not exist I think it is reasonable there are no ninja turtles either.

That probably means I am much more of a Power Rangers guy.

6 Likes

The beautiful girlfriend part gets to me as well :joy:

Funny you mention the TV show. I think I mentioned above it’s what turned me onto the character. I haven’t yet read any solo Green Arrow, however in almost all the team books that I read featuring him, he seems to have this quick wit and sense of humor that usually draws a smile on face. One day I’m gonna check out the Mike Grell run you keep mentioning.

5 Likes

:thinking:

Of course not!

5 Likes

The majority of the Grell run is on DCUI. Check out the checked items.

5 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to do that, man. Bookmarked for future reference.

5 Likes

If it wasn’t for The Question, my favorite DC character might be… Superman. Also, I probably would never have become as big of a DC fan.

10 Likes