If you got to rewrite the DCEU, how would you do it?

Oh bro, like if I was in charge I’d take what Marvel was doing to the next level. It’s all about improving upon what’s been done, not doing something else. That’s how anything great is made. Marvels main problem is it’s connectivity with media outside of the Films(TV/Streaming sometimes even can’t cross over ether). I would break up the DC cinematic universe into multiple media platforms that all interconnect one way or another. That actually acknowledge each other and cross over. That way when you have massive crisis level events it’s treated like an actual crisis in the comics.

1: Movies-(Big characters that deserve solo films like Batman,Superman, WW, Green lantern, Flash, ETC)

2: Mini series-(runs/adaptations of stories that don’t really work after their story has been told like Sandman, Watchmen, animal man, swamp thing)

3: TV shows-(including but not limited to Streaming and prime time television for characters/teams that work more on a episodic level. Basically a reworking of all DC shows right now)

4: One shots-(shorts before the main movie starts, think Pixar shorts, that introduce the audience to a character or story that doesn’t earn a movie but still significant enough to have a impact on the audience and introduce aspect of the DC universe. Some ideas include a Spectre one shot, a JSA one shot, and my personal favorite a silent film adaptation of World Funnest that consist of Batmite and Mr.M destroying the multiverse(setting up the multiverse in the process)in crazy and funny ways)

5: Short YouTube videos-(this would legit Just be One Shots that are available or exclusive to YouTube. Small stories that would usually center around and come out around the holidays. Think about a small story of Batman and his fathers Christmas nutcracker, or WW helping out at a Taco Wiz store for Thanksgiving, or Superman helping Santa deliver Presents)

1 Like

I like it…but episodic shows quickly become procedural. I like Titans because it isn’t episodic.

But rebooting the Cw shows; I am onboard with that. The writing has not been consistent and the laws with in their own established continuity has been damaged over the years.

Except for Black Lightning…It is fine on it’s own.

Yeah, episodic storytelling can interfere with other shows/films. But I’ve spent a lot of time trying to set the laws of the Universe that way everything fits. There would have to be a good year of planning in order to keep everything steady and in continuity, took a while for me to get a full grasp on the Multiverse, Hyper-Time, and other stuff. I set up rules for just about everything that could break storylines and continuity. Taking inspiration from both Marvel and DC.

A place I would start would be at removing Man of Steel and Wonder Woman from this list and burning everything that remains. Scorch the earth; leave no evidence of their existences. Continue introducing character movies: Batman, Aquaman, Shazam, Flash–all featuring short cameos of the other characters and links to their movies. Have a scene where each meets Batman in the end credits. Then throw these people together in a Justice League movie with Cyborg as they try to stop the Legion of Doom (who has been behind everything). Then make a Suicide Squad featuring some of the bad guys from the League movie, but now with the Hell to Pay script (if I were allowed that).

That’s where I would like to start…

A lot more New Frontier, a whole lot less of whatever it was. Keep Cavill as an Alex Ross Superman instead of a new 52 Superman. Keep Batfleck just as he is. Include GL and Hawkgirl. Make Esra Miller Wally West. Joaquin Phoenix as Lex Luthor (since Philip Seymour Hoffman is dead😢). Manhunter from Mars played by Forest Whitaker. Atlantians and Amazons are sworn enemies. 1st movie is Starro. 2nd movie is Legion of Doom. Save Darkseid for 3rd movie.

Make actors do movies in 2s or 3s before they get too expensive so fans can relate to the actors/characters more. Save time & $ by Xing-over TV into movies like Star Wars & Star Trek. Diversify culturally & tie the movies maybe even pre-existing ones like one big Easter egg. Make it easy for fans to track progress so they can catch up. Good to have different audiences, but mainstream keep as family so the $$ can be raised on holidays. Strategic geographic releasing to minimize bootleg copies & max viewership. Get Neil Gaiman, maybe Jared play Sandman. Capitalize on successful TV actors/charactrs. For fans, Comicon visits like Walking Dead & conventions like Star Trek original series. Focus on themes that work. Maybe reboot w/slight twists. Think longer range than 1-2 movies. Focus on character personal stories. Try to benchmark against competitors. Team up with other cos for $. The Codex & Phantom Zone can make new heroes. Romance that works and is popular. Some favorites, non-company specific, Lois & Clark, Spidey & Gwen, Dev Em & Lyta, Katniss&Peta triangle,West Side Story, Rogue&Gambit,Cyclops-Jane-Wolv,Maggie-Glenn.Good always wins.

Start with solo movies first

Honestly? I would have just let George Miller make his Justice League: Mortal movie back in 2009/2010. Shorten the name to just “Justice League” (since it’s the first one), replace Armie Hammer with Christian Bale so it connects to the Nolan films, have ONE more pass at the script to clear up some of the structure and villain issues, spin everyone else out in to solo films after.

2 Likes

Ignore all the Snyder films, just say they were on a different earth. Keep the Nolan, WW solo, Aquaman, SuicideSquad (and maybe Shazam) as standard DCEU continuity. Give Hawkgirl, MM, Flash (again stripping away his Snyder continuity) & Cyborg their own solo movies. A green lantern corps and take the best GL from that corps movie and have him join the JLA at the end of that movie, creating a new idea of JL. Then do a new JL movie just adding in Supes & Bats. Give the Spectre his own movie. Than give Supes and Bats their own movies. (It will time wise give people enough distance to think about Supes and Bats in a new, non-Snyder context.

Do a one-shot TTG/LEGO DC crossover. It would be fun, comedic, kid/family friendly, we don’t always have to take everything SO serious, movie. I think of LEGO Batman, Flash & Wonder Woman having to cope with a non LEGO world (imagine LEGO Batman getting to play off of a TTG Starfire & TTG Robin & Beast Boy having to cope with a LEGO world would be fun. Use Raven as the one jumping across worlds and to cope with the craziness of both environments and character dynamics. Instant classic. Both TTG & LEGO have a built in audience so you wouldn’t need huge backstory work.

Make a year time jump.
Keep all the current films.
Establish new characters through solo films.
Make movies about teams that aren’t JL.
Let the teams face a threat in a JL movie .
Then, in a future movie make batman suspicious as to how easily steppenwolf was defeated. This theme should be alluded to in every batman appearance prior.
Batman discovers darkseid.
New JL movie with darkseid
This keeps the current continuity. So less confusing for the general audiences.

1. I would produce live-action origin stories for each of the 7 members, with 1 or more making an appearance in the other’ story. The order of the movies would match the order each character was introduced in DC. And as much as I liked BvS UR edition, it would not be my story of choice for a catalyst to form the Justice League.

2. The first film after all origin stories told would be Flashpoint. And from it would come a Justice League movie and the villain would be Darkseid.
    Post-credit scene: asteroid crashes on earth, shadow of Doomsday appears.

3. Death Of Superman would be next. Superman’s death would lead into Justice League II.
    Post-credit scene: Injustice League members are recruited by Lex Luthor.

4. Justice League II villain is Injustice League.
    Post-credit scene: Pariah appears. And while the destruction of an earth is consumed by whiteness, you hear Psycho-Pirate say his famous line.

5. Justice League III: Crisis On Infinite Earths. We all know the story and it would remain as close to the story as possible.

Using a fountain pen.

1 Like