If Odyssey Ends, What's Next For Jess?

I’ve been a quiet fan of Jessica Cruz for a bit, mostly afraid to dive in hard because of how many Lanterns Earth has, and I’m afraid of her disappearing into oblivion. That’s why I hadn’t picked up Odyssey, I started it and loved it. However, it’s rare for a series to last 25+ issues now. Do you think it will? And if it doesn’t, what do you think is next for Jessica? Or do you think she may disappear like other lanterns have.

PS, I have a Jessica Multiverse Figure, in it’s box. Why is that figure going for a crazy amount haha?

3 Likes

I think Jessica has a bright future. She’s pretty high profile right now as one of the stars of DC Super Hero Girls, and with an HBO Max Green Lantern series around the corner, I feel confident Jessica will have a role in it.

As for the comics: right now Grant Morrison has control over the Green Lantern mythology, and he’s mostly interested in Hal Jordan. So we’ll have to see who takes over once he’s done.

3 Likes

It can be frustrating being a fan of any Green Lantern not named Hal Jordan. :weary:

3 Likes

Well sadly, I love Hal Jordan. But I think they would find some way to still incorporate Jessica. She’ll be fine, since she’s the only female GL it would be foolish not to find a series for her. She’s been pretty good in JLO, I’ve enjoyed reading that series a lot.

2 Likes

I’d really love to see Jessica get more spotlight. I loved it in Green Lanterns when she decked Guy Gardner.
(and that’s coming from a Huge Gardner Guy!)

3 Likes

Jessica has already made it into other media (e.g. DC Super Hero Girls cartoon/comics, JL Lego/other animated movies). I think she’ll be fine. She has a different relationship with fear than the others, so that opens up a lot of story potentials that can run alongside other GLs without risking too much repetition. This is important because there are a LOT of earth GLs right now (I’d argue too many - give the other Corps a chance, earthlings!) as you said.

1 Like

There is no good reason to not have a GL Corp book that allows all human GLs to receive attention. I’m so not a Hal fan. I’d almost rather have Guy star in a solo GL title. Reading the new book, all I could think is “why isn’t this Cruz, Rayner, or Stewart?” the whole time. I put it down due to my dislike of Hal as a character.

Edit: Odyssey is stressing me out as a Cruz & Jean-Paul fan.

1 Like

I really hope you guys are right. I don’t want Jess to become like Simon and just poof. We haven’t seen him in awhile, I believe. But yeah, I mean, she’s an important character. Not only is she female and a person of color, but she also has extreme anxiety, which helps me connect with her more, and, IMO, makes her a better Lantern then the others, with way more stories to tell.

2 Likes