Idris Elba replacing Will Smith?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/idris-elba-replacing-will-smith-suicide-squad-sequel-1191349

The Hollywood Reporter is, well, reporting Idris Elba is in talks to play Deadshot in Suicide Squad 2. The studio says he’s their first and only choice. What do you think? I think that’s a waste of two talents. We would be so good as Icon or Jon Stewart, or even Martian Manhunter. Idk, he’s great and all, but I liked Will as Floyd

6 Likes

I’m literally praying that they change course and offer Mr. Elba the role of GL John Stewart and he accepts. that would be huge huge imo

3 Likes

Idris as GL would be gold!! I won’t be disappointed with him as Deadshot though, it’s just that Idris+John Stewart=dream casting

3 Likes

I’ll be pretty disappointed and pissed if he gets cast as Deadshot and then Green Lantern Corps become official again soon after with John Stewart announced as a main character.

Because of Will Smith in the first film, now every dc film with Deadshot has to be black or something. Nothing against a black man being cast in the role but I’m used to Floyd a carton way

1 Like

Fine by me. Trading one talent for another.

2 Likes

Seriously, I am not feeling it. There are surely more actors or are we at the apocalypse already?

1 Like
I'm reading that it came down to scheduling conflicts with Smith. If we HAVE to replace him, Elba is a massively talented actor. I just feel there are so many other characters he could bring to life and make his own. The fact he's stepping into a previously established character may be stifling to his performance. 
It was always weird for me to see Pat Hingle and Micheal Gough in the Schumacher Batman films.
1 Like

I love Deadshot, but yeah, I think it’d be a waste of Elba. I don’t think he fits, either. He’s much bigger physically than I see Floyd, and he doesn’t project the cockiness that Floyd and Will Smith have.

Idris Elba is great actor regardless of your opinion of who he should be playing or who should be playing Deadshot he is gonna nail it! Don’t take it for granted, they casted a fantastic actor to play a great role and I’m so thankful for that. Lets not forget how lucky we are to live in a time that comic book movies are being made left and right.

2 Likes

Oh and as far as John Stewart goes Idris would have been good but there are plenty of great actors who could do that part. Sterling K. Brown gets my vote

Didn’t see this post or I wouldn’t have made mine lol. I’m ok with the decision bc he’s a good actor that’s been in similar roles. I’m glad we are still gonna get deadshot tbh

1 Like

I say let Idris play both, Deadshot and John Stewart, and whoever else. This is 2019. Josh Brolin is Thanos and Cable (I know they are not in the same cinematic universe). Actors can play multiple roles. They can even do it in the same movie. Why not the same cinematic universe?

2 Likes

Very excited by this. Will Smith didn’t really do it for me! I also am just so excited they are trying again with Suicide Squad. It is a concept that Marvel doesn’t do, and DC has villains in spades!

1 Like

It’s exciting news and Idris Elba will be a great addition to the movie, but I was hoping he would be the next 007. If SS2 is successful, that means sequels which means a high probability of no Idris Bond due to scheduling conflicts. :frowning:

1 Like

I liked Suicide Squad and liked Will Smith as Deadshot, so I hate how there’s a faction of people who seem to be celebrating every one of these announced changes in direction to the Suicide Squad sequel with the viewpoint that they didn’t like Suicide Squad and weren’t even fans of Suicide Squad anyway, so any change is potentially a good thing.

That said, I don’t know why no one is mentioning this, but Idris Elba was in The Dark Tower, where he played The Gunslinger, a guy skilled with an impossible level of accuracy with his guns and never misses a shot. Sounds familiar? I’d be willing to bet whoever decided he could be Deadshot must have seen him in The Dark Tower. The Dark Tower was my favorite movie of 2017, but apparently isn’t getting a sequel, so, in a weird way, if he becomes Deadshot, it’d be like we’re getting a spiritual successor to The Dark Tower, where he’s playing the same role again and that could be a good thing.

2 Likes

Would rather Idris became one of the heroes listed. Will Smith should play Deadshot.

1 Like

Just no.

I like it. Will Smith’s problem is that he doesn’t like sharing the spotlight, so Suicide Squad wound up feeling less like a team movie and more of a “Will Smith featuring the Suicide Squad”. Idris has proven that he can work well with an ensemble cast, and now other members of the Squad can have their time to shine.

1 Like

I hate when sequels replace the original actor… I’d rather them just not have in the movie in general… Sometimes it works really well, but when you’re used to the original actor and you know its not them, it can come off as a little odd… But he might actually do really good at the part. But hes probably the closest thing too it and the show must go on…

4 Likes

Not entirely sure why we need Deadshot in SS2. I think a clean slate, with a whole new team is the way to go.

4 Likes