Identity Crisis Reactions/Thoughts?

I’ve been meaning to revisit this as it was the first DC book I read after really diving into comics back in 2006. I loved it back in the day, but I’m curious how it has aged. Were the problematic aspects worse than other books from that era? I’m still slowly working through 52 and there is a lot of the type of casual misogyny and homophobia that was everywhere at the time. In situations like that, I think it’s okay to celebrate the book in the context of the time while acknowledging its issues.

yeah reading everyone’s pros and cons…you’ve shed some light on things I wasn’t even realizing my first read through. I actually forgot about the Deathstroke fight…that was annoyingly interesting. I knew he was strong and an expert tactician but it should not of been that easy. I think overall the plot was good, the deaths were fine. The “clean up crew/wiping minds” was good buttt ehh it was quite confusing and seemed unrealistic when I first delved into issue 1 and 2. I had to go back a lot when reading through this. All in all, still liked it and felt really connected to some of the characters…it was a nice, different pace then what I’ve been reading on here lately. Definitely don’t regret it

Identity Crisis was the first Justice League run that I read. Going into it, I had kind of a bias against superhero teams because my experience with superhero teams were that they were a collection of individuals that all had their own arcs, and there was rarely ever a team arc. What I loved about Identity Crisis is that by the end of it, I felt that I knew more about the actual team of the Justice League, and not more about the individual characters. I haven’t read it in a while, but it’s on a pedestal in my memory because it really did prove me wrong about superhero teams.

2 Likes

Just wanted to pop back in and say thank you all again. Still working on everything including the tie ins. Currently, I’m halfway through Rann-Thanagar War. The OMAC projectttt wassss intenseeee. Cannot wait to finally start Infinite Crisis lol

This kicked off an era of DC I just loved. The character moments are just incredible. I loved Ollies Narration, Tim’s arc, and how they gave each character a moment. Then came Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Wow. Followed by those 4 miniseries, which I kind of enjoy more than Infinite Crisis.

1 Like

that’s honestly how I’m thinking I’ll be feeling afterwards. So far all of these mini series’ have hooked me to the edge of my seat. haven’t made it to Infinite Crisis just yet though :skull:

1 Like