I thought Children no longer read Comic books anymore

I am glad there a lot DC ink and Zoom, but no Shazam, and I hope Ink and Zoom sold Milloins in the future.

I volunteer at my local library and the graphic novels are really a hit. Shelves and shelves in the kids section. They don’t really buy comic books issue by issue, opting for graphic novels like @DanTheManOne1 said.

…
…
ok boomer
…
…
I never thought I would see a genuine boomer post in the wild…

1 Like

Also gotta keep in mind that it can’t be ONLY kids reading those kids-only series. There are probably a number of adults who like juvenile stuff too.

1 Like

I’m a kid/mid teen and I have been reading comics religiously for years now

4 Likes

If they read Tomasi’s Superman run they’d change their minds.

1 Like

I’ve never read that I will give it a try

1 Like

I’m a school librarian and can testify that graphic novels are among our most popular books. That being said I doubt that many of my students are out buying what we think of as actual comic books though. DC has put out some graphic novels just for kids like the Super Hero Society books. Those are really popular. Not as popular as Dog Man sadly!

2 Likes

I wonder if DC’s working with companies like Scholastic and other companies which provide the offerings to book fairs, etc.

As everyone’s stating here, kids pick up the stuff which is readily available. I remember when comics were in the grocery store. And then, there was about a decade when you could find good comics in every yard sale, used book store, antique store, etc.

But nowadays, DC’s priced themselves out of the family budget, comics aren’t readily available, and if you find older comics, the continuity’s been busted (so kids won’t stay interested).

It’s a perfect storm of destroying their own audience.

1 Like

I think the best way to think of this is that Children’s graphic novels are INSANELY Popular. The question is what counts as a Graphic Novel.

Diamond Distributors don’t consider those comic books to be the same medium. I think issue by issue, Dog Man doesn’t count. (It’s also not that good…)

1 Like

I still think that DC should try making their current DC Universe all graphic novels. They would sell better, they are more marketable to a bigger audience, and most people attest to rereading them whereas single issues seem too daunting. It also reduces the “Comics aren’t accessible” mentality.

2 Likes

Do diamond Distributors never use Dogman on the list?
DC, Marvel, and Diamond need to change everything, Comic shops should order dog man and other popular titles that sold millions that help keep comic shops going strong so that hopefully Batman and others Heroes get more popular as a dogman, also, hopefully, bring Superheroes Comics back to newsstands.

2 Likes

That’s fine as long as they don’t drag their feet for a century.

side-eyes the Earth One line

1 Like

Well, the theory is that king would still write Batman vol. 1, vol. 2 etc. But they would be FIRST released as a trade.

2 Likes

Access to comics is greater than ever, as any kid with a smart phone or other Internet connected device has immediate access to comics from a huge variety of publishers via Comixology and the other digital platforms.

For the kids who are only into DC content when it comes to comics, DC Universe offers a far greater value than any other outlet. For the cost of two regularly priced comics, a kid can have instant access to a collection of nearly 23,000 comics. No other value even comes close to what DCU provides.

Selling product only in graphic novel form isn’t an answer. Single issues still make money, and any revenue stream that sells, makes money and whose production costs are still within reason will still be in use to some extent, regardless of whether or not it’s dwarfed by other formats that substantially larger amounts of revenue are derived from.

One answer is to increase marketing for and awareness of the digital outlets. Advertise the DC Comics app and DC Universe (along with DC content being available on Comixology, Hoopla and the like) on platforms that heavily (and successfully) market to kids. After Junior sees a Wonder Woman movie, he or she can immediately get into Wonder Woman comics via the digital outlets they’ve seen advertised on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon and elsewhere.

Yes, DC Universe isn’t marketed towards children right now, but I imagine kids do currently use the platform and if it is to succeed in the coming years, then expanding towards children themed marketing (along with original content aimed at them) is one way of ensuring the platform’s continued longevity.

The above ideas can also be utilized in expanding adult readership.

4 Likes

Online gets tricky and much stiffer controls need to be in place, to adhere to things like COPPA.

I know the desire to implement parental controls is something @Applejack wants to do, but that also means a lot of content to curate.

It is not simple.

Obviously we need to bring back the comics code. Then it will be safe for children to read comics again.