I just watched Batman (1966) last night

I loved it. In fact, I think younger generations would really enjoy it too as long as they can ignore the fact that it’s not the same kind of Batman that they know.

It feels a lot like the Austin Powers movies to me. It’s not really a parody of superheroes or comic books but more like a parody of the James Bond movies of the time.

Some of the jokes don’t quite land anymore but most of them do. I love whenever Batman and Robin are trying to piece together clues and they use logic that makes no sense but it all ends up being right anyway.(Robin: “It happened at sea. ‘Sea’? Catwoman starts with a ‘C’!”)

8 Likes

Speaking of Austin “Danger” Powers, Batman '66 meets Austin Powers is a groovy idea for a comic. WB owns DC and Austin Powers, so there’s no reason it can’t happen.

“Fancy a shag Catwoman?”

“Oh Alfred, this tea tastes like ****.”

8 Likes

Vroom you’ve earned your Legion ring with that idea

4 Likes

If you’re talking about the film, it’s okay, but there are some episodes of the TV series that blow it out of the water like a torpedoed porpoise.

1 Like

I love the movie, I need to watch the show.

1 Like

I’ve been watching it on Roku lately. It is, in the words of a pie-eating Harry Osborn, “So good!”

https://therokuchannel.roku.com/details/3886fa2332a05fd283b452268328dcd1/batman

1 Like

My favorite episode might be the one (I forget the title) where Batman and Joker go surfing.

Seeing Chief O’Hara and Gordon dressed as beach bums is just fun.

4 Likes

Batman 66 is silly good fun. I’m not too sure if younger generations would get it though. My cousins ages 10 and 8 can’t believe that the Batman 66 clip from the Lego Batman Movie is from an actual show.

1 Like

Such a great movie. Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb… :grinning:

@Vroom: Behave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Vroom Have you got the Batman 66 surf Batman action figure?

1 Like

I think people are less familiar with the camp genre. But, if you can just ride it like a wave (pun intended) it can really be a blast. I think a good starter for folks who “don’t get” ‘66 is Brave & the Bold. It has some camp elements. A good gateway into the genre.

1 Like

@Misfit I used to have the surfing attire Batman and Joker figures, but I sold them a few years ago.

Conversely, I also used to have the McFarlane Toys (future producer of collector focused DC toys starting next year BTW) Austin Powers figures, but I sold those roughly 15 years ago.

Interesting how these assorted threads with Batman and Mr. Powers have intertwined. Let’s ask Austin what it’s all about. knocks on his door, hears a vigorous bicycle-pump-esque pumping sound Nah, let’s not.

2 Likes

And then you hear King Tut shout ‘Git in mah belly!’

1 Like

When I first watched the 66 show I was 5 or 6 years old. At that age, It’s not campy…It’s Batman! Back then There was a Saturday Morning cartoon featuring West and Ward as the voices as well as the Legends of the Super Heroes Specials. As a result of all this, it’s no wonder I thought Batman was a current series rather than a short lived series from before I was born!
Many years later Batman came back with a Vengeance! Robin was killed in A Death in the Family and I picked up reading the comics right after that. A few months later the Batman movie hit theaters and I was on line all day at the movie theater attached to the Mall waiting for the Midnight opening.
It was around that time that I got the Batman official Bat-Book episode Guide and recalled all of the shows I hadn’t seen in years. A few years later FX started airing Batman and the Green Hornet and I was a kid again. True, my adult mind appreciated the stuff that went over my head when I was 5…but for the most part I was really able to jump back in without any of the prejudices that “serious” Batman fans had against the series. (On the other hand I thought it was a total blundering back step to have the later movies in the franchise take the same direction as the old TV show)
Now, whenever the TV show was on, I would be more than happy to watch it but I really wanted to own it. I think just about every other TV show I ever watched got a home video/DVD release before Batman finally came out!

1 Like

@Super-Squirrel I was thinking Fat Bastard could face off against Clayface.

FB: “You look like a giant piece of ****!”

Clayface morphs into FB “Takes one to know one!”

Dr. Evil laughs over at his table while feeding Mini-Me a Hot Pocket

2 Likes