I Don't Think It Was A Good Idea To Make Alan Scott Gay

Not because of his history but because they had lots of lanterns to pick from and they pick the only one who’s greatest weakness was Wood he is now forever a walking joke
I would have said no just for that reason

8 Likes

I can’t not believe that they did that on purpose, him having a weakness for wood is like peak gay humor. I texted this to a few other people I know in the LGBT community after reading it and apparently we’re all in agreement over its hilarity :+1:

7 Likes

Weakness to wood doesn’t sound gay, In fact, wouldn’t wood make him stronger if that were the case?

6 Likes

My problem is he was happily married for over 20 years.

7 Likes

I was a little worried where this was headed but truth be told I did not think about this reasoning until now. I was not at all prepared, well done friend :rofl::+1:

This feels like a joke the Harley Quinn show would make, honestly…

7 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
thanks your sweet @TheWifeOfJasonTodd

5 Likes

Same here lol

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Not that I necessary disagree with you because I imagine it would be a firestorm of replies in here for me think that this topic should be under hot take, but here we are. :smile:

I don’t hate Alan Scott being gay, but your right. Plenty of Green Lanterns could have been “revealed” as LGBTQ, but they chose the wrong one to tell that story. There is something interesting in regard to the recontextualizing of Scott’s history in the 40s, and you can’t deny that it’s given some interest to his character in recent years. That being said I do think besides Jo Mullein, we could have seen more prominent Green Lanterns being revealed as LGBT. I thought headcannons I seen about queer perspectives on Green Lanterns like Hal Jordan or Guy Gardner were pretty solid viewpoints and I think those two would have been more interesting as LGBTQ characters than Alan Scott.

5 Likes

First of all - kudos

Second - I agree it would be more interesting to have other Lanterns as LGBTQ+ but I don’t mind Alan being gay. I’m sure there are people in real life who go through most of their lives, being married for decades with children, before ever coming out of the closet. I do think it’s somewhat realistic for Alan to come out in recent years. But again, not the most interesting choice, despite me already liking Alan Scott regardless of identity/orientation

5 Likes

alan scotts new book is coming out soon this October so don’t forget to give it a shot here on DCUI or your comic shop maybe if we give it enough love they’ll give are boy @MatthewHecht some more jsa books

5 Likes

I am going to preorder all 3.

4 Likes

I don’t mind Alan Scott being gay at all. For a man of his era his story is not uncommon. It was not acceptable in society to be openly gay. A lot of gay men and women were married and had families in the 1940s to hide their true selves and try to fit in to the expectations society, their families and their co-workers had for them. It makes sense that Alan Scott would be no different than millions of other people around the world.

I like that DC is willing to change an iconic character like this to reflect the reality of human existence at that time. Whether it was Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, Kent Nelson or any other Golden Age character - I think it would have worked because of the era they originated from.

That said, Guy Gardner being gay would have explained a lot. :wink:

4 Likes

I liked the idea of Alan Scott being gay. Him having to come out to his kids was very realistic for people of his time.

As a gay man, I can say I’ve dated gay men who had kids from prior marriages, who felt they had to stay in the closet and marry.

As for the weakness to wood, I hadn’t thought of that. LOL

7 Likes

From what i remember, he had some sort of sidekick that knew he was Green Lanterm. Nothing overtly homosexual with how they would interact, but I did notice myself looking for it.

As to the weakness to wood, it made for better drama when he would battle Sportsmaster. Wooden sports equipment given the time of writing. Something I should look into, but a lot of that Golden Age art is really hard to look at.

As to the joke I would make, it would not matter if the character is straight or gay. It is a classic go-to of where I was raised: Brooklyn, NY.

4 Likes

3 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes