I Don’t Understand the Hate Towards Damian Wayne

i agree damian is at times light hearted and can get emotional (i mean look at pennyworth r.i.p) but batman just at times needs to be the father cus at this point his so called “darkness” is not an excuse to ignoring his own son i mean come on he has even tried take your child to work day. but i will admit damian animated version is doing just that in some movies(B vs Tmnt) and for making a name for himself check his new solo.

3 Likes

I would love more team ups between Jason and Damian.

5 Likes

@MASTER To your point I think its hard for Batman to be a father, because his whole aura is growing up without parents, so its difficult for him to “father” Damian. With all the other Robins its been “I’m taking you under my wing” type scenarios; and “fall back and do as I say”. When Damian says “Father” to him I think it shakes Bruce to his core a bit, and the “do as I say role” is harder because now he has to deal with his rebellious son who he can’t say “You’re no longer my partner” and dismiss him. He could say that to Damian as a Robin, but can’t dismiss him as a son. Different dichotomy.

3 Likes

i didnt think of it that way but he should at least have been there for damian when he was basically psychologically traumatized when the two people he cared for most were shot in the head (causing him to lose memory) and the other killed in front of him. without a person to look out for him he basically went down a dark path while bruce was just like “nice trauma you got there kid its mine now” and is only thinking of himself also did the somewhat similiar thing with jason not looking out or watching him.

4 Likes

id love that i havent seen everything with them but when i do they seem to get along kind of well cus aside from the fact red hood shot him and damian knocked him out but they should be fine

2 Likes

This is exactly my take on the subject. I came into the Batman comics when the 89 Keaton movie came out, which was also around the time that they introduced Tim. So I kind of grew into comics with him, and with all the growth that he had in becoming Robin, I felt he was sort of shunted aside for Damian, who’s attitude I didn’t like. Then the kept retconning Tim’s story and I get enough resets with the Legion, I don’t need them in Batman too. LOL :slight_smile:

That being said I did grow to like Damian, just not as much as Tim.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same. I was obsessed with the Burton Batman movies and BTAS as a kid. In fact the Robin II mini series was one of my first comic books. It seems like Tim increasingly got pushed aside to make way for either new characters or returning old ones. A lot of characters got this treatment between 2005-2015- Tim for Damian, Steph for Babs, Wally for Barry, arguably Kyle Rayner was the first though I quite like the Johns Green Lantern books.

I kind of dismissed Damian at first (and his appearance in Injustice did nothing to endear him to me) but the more I read the more he grows on me. Looking forward to his new series (first new comic series I’m actually buying floppies of in ages), but nothing will overwrite Tim in my book.

5 Likes

Agree - and I think Morrison killing Damian was the best thing that happened to make him more likeable!

7 Likes

Damian is an annoying, disrespectful little brat that needs to be taken to the wood shed.

2 Likes

what of the animated movies he appears in im not trying to change your mind on hating him but check your facts

3 Likes

The character just rubs we the wrong way. He’s insufferable.

2 Likes

For me, Damian feels like a spoiled kid and is actually a big reason why I dropped Batman books for a very long time. I finally just picked up the Infinite Frontier Batman books, which are the first ones since Damian came on the scene. Don’t get me wrong, he has his moments and is tolerable or even great. Sadly, those moments seem to happen in DCeased.

He sort of rubs me the wrong way in the same manner as Jason Todd as Robin. Give me Tim, Stephanie, or Dick any day over Jason or Damien.

2 Likes

so you like him at certain things but thats just it not other stories (understandable) but the animated movies i recommended should help unless youve already seen them then we may as well as be friends

1 Like

I have seen/own all of the animated movies they haven’t changed how I feel about him. If anything, they make it harder to distinguish him and Jason Todd as they both act very similar in the animated universe as Robin.

1 Like

yeah but what do you mean the dcamu understandable he was Jason Todd but he basically grew out of it there and he was automatically joyful in the other adaptations but hey you see something I don’t you have a good eye still you seem cool.

2 Likes

Even if he grew out of it in the DCAMU the bad taste was there. I will say movies that I knew featured him I would hold of on seeing and were some of the last ones I added to my collection. Now I just need to get Justice Society which will probably happen after I read comics today.

I agree, you seem pretty cool. We might disagree on a character but that is not an ice breaker. I am sure there are characters that I love that you would roll your eyes at.

2 Likes

yeah agree or disagree i don’t judge. I don’t use dvd or anything i just go this one site called 5movies and i just watch there good quality site

2 Likes

I have an extensive Vudu catalog of movies/shows.

1 Like

OKAY!! NICE :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Clearly, this thread comes mostly down to people disliking how certain writers characterize Dami and/or his intro as antagonist (to Tim) and nothing to actually do with hating the character.
Which is good, because Dami is a great character.

3 Likes