I did not like Batwoman.

Okay, saw the pilot last night and I was left seriously underwhelmed. Maybe my expectations were just too high. Maybe as a serious fan of all things Batman related I just expected too much. One, they completely changed Kate Kane’s back story. Two, what the hell are the Crows? Are they private security or some sort of law enforcement contractors? They seem to be more villainous then the criminals were. And speaking of law enformcent, where the heck was the GCPD. Only two cops in the whole show were there to turn off a light. But forgetting all that the show was just too cutesy for me. This was Gotham City, there was no grit, no forboding, nothing. Was it better then Supergirl, of course it was. But it wasn’t any better then then Flash or Arrow.

12 Likes
  1. How did they “completely change Kate’s backstory”?

She still got kicked out of the military because of her sexual orientation, she’s still both Lesbian and Jewish, she’s still Bruce’s cousin, and she still takes up his mantle while he’s MIA

1. The Crows are a private security firm who’ve contracted with Gotham City’s government to essentially do the GCPD’s job for it and protect the city; this is all spelled out in the Pilot itself, and within the first 5 minutes

2. I don’t know what show you were watching, but there’s nothing “cutesy” about this version of Gotham

11 Likes

Also, it’s the first episode. You have to have a foundation to build an empire on…

4 Likes

I didn’t like it either, supergirls episode was better.

4 Likes

S1E1 episodes are always a mixed bag. Especially with the advent of multiple trailers today. People start forming opinions about what a show will (or is supposed to be) like.

Far different from when WW took to the airwaves in the 70’s. You see that first transformation of Diana into WW until the first episode and it was remarkable to all of a sudden see LC in the full WW costume. It really set a tone for the character in the show and really was impactful because you didn’t know before hand what it was going to look like.

I think trailers often show to much. They are almost a “mini pilot” that lacks context.

5 Likes

It was okay. That reveal at the end of the episode seems like something that could have been gradually built up to, but we’ll see where things go from here.

I know some people are probably wondering where “insert name of bat family character here” is at and why aren’t they around, but I imagine Batwoman will follow Supergirl’s format of introducing and focusing on establishing their own characters during season 1. Afterwards the characters allowed to appear all depend on the WB execs, although it does seem like they’ve been slightly less restrictive recently.

2 Likes

I thought it was a bit sad that, after skillfully using the grappling hook for most of the episode, in diving to save her ex-paramour, Batwoman forgot how to use the grappling hook and both women plummeted to their deaths.

Ah well, it was a nice one off.

6 Likes

I finally got a chance to watch the show last night. I must admit I was sadly disappointed with S1:E1 of Batwoman. It was so bad that I really don’t even know where to begin.

Admittedly I was not familiar with Ruby Rose before this show debuted. I found her acting utterly horrid. For me she felt like full on angst the entire show. Try as I may I couldn’t connect with her very robotic performance.

Pacing. The pacing felt rushed the entire episode. I understand you are trying to introduce an audience to a character they may not know anything about Kate Kane, but slow the pacing. We are training somewhere (trying to be batman), next thing I we went from point A, skipped over B-G, talked about H, and arrived at point Z in the plot without touching points B-G and I-Y.

There is soooo much more I could touch on, but will leave alone for now. I really, REALLY wanted to like this show as I have really enjoyed the CW Arrow-Verse over the years, but this was such a HUGE let down. I will return for S1:E2 hoping it gets better, but if every episode is similar to the first I could very well for the 1st time not watch a CW/DC show.

4 Likes

@DigificWriter, When I said they changed Kate Kane’s back story I meant that in the comics it was completely different. In the comic version her mother and sister were killed by terrorists after all three of them were abducted. In the comics her father never left the military and never remarried. And in the comics after she learned her cousin was Batman he sent her to train under some of the same people who trained him.
And the reason I was asking about the Crows was they seemed to be the only really law enforcement. It’s Gotham City, where was Gordon, Montoya and Bullock?

6 Likes

I finally got around to watching it. I give it a passing grade for now. This episode didn’t have the butt load of heavy handed preaching I expected, the only line that was close to that came across more as Kate being a douche than it being preachy. I appreciated that. It was odd that she knew how to use the gear and suit perfectly on her first outing, but not surprising due to the format of TV shows.
I was initially bothered with how Batman was presented; an idiot who didn’t care to save his family and trusted them to climb out of a dangling car while he ran away. I appreciated that, while very brief, it clarified he trusted his gear to keep them alive while he continued on to stop the Joker and save a bus full of 32 kids.
I could nit pick several things for sure, like poor acting, no chemistry between love interests, and continuity issues, but even my favorite shows aren’t free of those on occasion. I’ll continue to give it a chance until it gets too preachy or leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the Arrowverse Batman.

1 Like

I felt it was better than I had expected but not as good as I had hoped it would be. While I don’t think the changes to Kate’s origins were anything story shattering, I feel like it’s a lot more impactful in the comic. And, I mean, everything from Westpoint was pretty directly from the comics (did anyone else feel that the music was a little loud and heavy-handed in those parts, though?)

And it seems like they’ve got better cameras for this show than the others in the Arrowverse. Am I just crazy?

1 Like

My only real problem how can u say every bad guy is locked up i would think classic batman bads would be running gotham with a mix of new ones i guess i wanted more of a Gotham feel to it

2 Likes

I thought it was good :man_shrugging:t2: I remember not liking the Arrow premier when it first came out but it ended being my favorite show. I’m hopeful for BW. It had great action and RR is a believable arse kicker. It’s not perfect, but none of the CW shows are lol. I’m sure it’ll be awesome

To be perfectly Frank I am never been a Batman FAN Outside Adam West and Burt Ward But I went to this with an open mind And to be honest I hated it got a little pushy Add the story line punchline was too obvious From the moment of the car accident and no body found I knew Alice was Her sister

I am hoping Alice is not the main bad I am going to give this 2 more Episodes Then I am done if Alice is the main bad the whole season I am done anyways don’t like the villain

1 Like

Ruby Rose isn’t right for the part. I had high hopes for the series but those dissolved in the first 5 minutes. The show may have been acceptable in the early 90’s but not in world with series like Titans and Daredevil. Based on the pilot I give this show 3/10.

5 Likes

I like her performance fine, thought she did well, actually. But I had low expectations for her so maybe I was easy to please.

The show itself was “okay.” 1st episodes, like comic books, often suffer from what I call “first-issue-itis.” They have to spend a lot of their narrative just introducing characters and concepts, so there’s not always as much time to just tell a good story. I’ll have a better feel for the show a few episodes in.

2 Likes

I personally am pretty much done with the CW line up of DC shows. If I get a urge to watch something in universe I’ll go back and watch something from Arrow seasons 1-3 or Flash 1&2.

Might keep up with Legends of Tomorrow though. It’s the only show I watched all of last season.

4 Likes

I very much enjoyed the pilot episode and have been singing its praises to my friends and coworkers.

1 Like

I doubt Kate Kane would know a Ramones song if it hit her in the face.

5 Likes

That would be a no for me…good job with the outfit though.

1 Like