I’d like to know why I should continue to support DC?

Well, I don’t really have brand loyalty or loyalty to stick with any particular book.
These stories go on forever, so there’s nothing wrong with jumping off for a while and hopping back on when it looks good again.

Why would murdering catwoman be a good idea? That’s the laziest trope to move any story along. We’re customers, but that doesn’t mean we have the right to dictate what artists create. you can simply not buy it and that’s fine, but this attitude of “give me exactly what I want writers” even though most of the time what fans at large want is trash, is simply creatively stifling.

Don’t. The less you buy of a book I am getting means it will be worth a little bit more in the future.

One of the reasons I got this service was so I could read the older materials because honestly since New 52, I just haven’t seen the characters reflected in a way that is for me. I don’t read any current titles because the characters don’t feel familiar to me anymore. I liked the d-list of characters and many have been wiped away. I love DC. Older DC that is. One that had a legacy and history. Now I have villain Donna, dead or doesn’t exist off and on Wally, and such a focus on Batman it is unreal! I won’t buy single issues again probably because I won’t support it. I made that decision awhile back because that is the only way to show you don’t like the way something is going in the comic industry. It hasn’t changed much, but at least I am not reading material I don’t respect or enjoy. Glad, however, this service was started and they have books from various times up. Allows me to at least feel a part of it again.

I hope his death isn’t permanent (since when are they anymore?), and if dc were smart they’d bring him back in some way asap. Now that they have a streaming service available fans can cancel whenever they screw up something big time in their comics. Like for example, Killing Wally West off in the lamest way possible by not even getting a hero’s death but a lame shocker one panel reveal. Or lying about Batman and Catwoman getting married (Didio said in a dc all access video that they were then admitted in a interview that he never saw them getting married) or letting Bendis break up Superman and Lois after they just got back together in the comics. Rebirth was supposed to be about hope and letting these characters finally grow, Didio slowly but surely undid everything Rebirth stood for. I’m not gonna say whenever dc does one little thing that you should cancel but given everything they have done or will do right now i say go for it. And don’t get it back until they fix this mess.

2 Likes

I’m one of those fans that’s still ticked off at how horrifically bad Cassandra Cain was reinvented, and that they decided to keep imitation Cass post-Rebirth. It was the latest evidence for me of DC’s poor leadership and lack of editorial/writing standards, and got me to stop buying any Batman-related titles.

That being said, it IS just the first issue of “Heroes In Crisis” (I’m not reading, but I’ve heard things). It wouldn’t shock me at all if at the end, it turns out Wally was alive the whole time or he gets revived somehow. I’m not familiar enough with Tom King’s writing to make a an approximate guess, but it’s peculiar they’d kill off Wally only a couple years after bringing him back. Whether Wally and/or Roy are revived or not, it’s still emblematic of the poor decision-making at DC that they have yet another death linked to yet another Crisis event (granted, this seems more tangential with the title), and they have it in the very first issue. They come back, and the deaths have little impact or meaning (unless King is exceptionally skilled).

1 Like

+Mr_Morbach the only way I can see it being a long-lasting thing with consequences is if they bring everybody back at the end and have them remember their deaths and possibly their after lives. That would stay true to the whole PTSD element of the book and would affect the books those characters appear in moving forward.

I’m a long time DC fan, my favorite heroes had always been DC characters. Had been, being the words I use. I was intrigued over 52, but that ended quickly. 52 was supposed to fix the convoluted timeline but it just made it worse. It had potential, I admit but every title restarted except Batman and Green Lantern. We now have Batman going through 4 sidekicks in 5 years. Blackest Night happened but no one had died to come back. Superboy was wiped out and replaced with an uncaring psycho killer. Captain Marvel went from a wholesome great kid to a snot-nosed punk who needs to be redeemed by giving him the power of Shazam (let’s reward a punk kid with magic powers in the hope he can reform, what kind of logic is that).
But what can we expect when DC puts the same people who trashed Marvel in the 90’s with gimmicks, flashy bloodthirsty heroes in charge. Don’t get me wrong Jim Lee is a great artist but he doesn’t, apparently, know anything about making lasting stories, or what it means to be a hero in the DC universe. I won’t even go into the hack named Leifield, who is a worse writer than he is an artist and even that’s not good (sick draw an ankle or a hand, or make an original character).
Maybe some day DC will realize the fans don’t need flashy covers, major crossovers every year, and everything doesn’t have to revolve around Batman. You could just get good writers to make good stories and good artists, unless you’ve driven them all away by firing them and going flash over substance.

1 Like

PrincessAmethyst, are you me? You explained exactly what I don’t like about New 52, and what I loved about DC before that. Legacy sums it all up. There’s no sense of time. The DC Universe doesn’t have any gravity to it. Nothing sticks. Everything changes too fast now. There are too many events. Before New 52 comic stories got to just tell their own stories in their own time, and build a history. I mean, there were exceptions, the the Batman and Superman titles all being continuing stories of each other. But still, I think my point stands.

2 Likes

Nah. Support indie artists who actually need it.

Speaking of indie artists, a friend of mine has a new webcomic, Stargazer Apogee.

For those interested: https://tapas.io/episode/1054132

1 Like

Don’t worry, I’ll just buy 2 copies because I absolutely love the direction of the current DCU.

I don’t even know anymore. No Bat wedding, Jon is gone, Wally is dead, Roy is dead, Jason and Damian have both gone off the deep end, and top it all off they basically killed Nightwing and replaced him with a bad Jason Todd clone to make him more in line with a show that we don’t even know will be all that good. Everything sucks it only took a few months for it to all fall apart. All because of Bendis, Tom King and a freaking TV show.

But at least Justice League is good.