Hypothetical Ambush Bug Casting

Who would you cast to play Ambush Bug if DC made an original series or film? My possible choices are either Jim carrey, or Will Ferrell. One already has some DC experience as Riddler and although will ferrell has no experience playing a hero or villain his comedic chops should serve character just fine. We will definitely need a comedian or someone funny and zany enough to be Ambush Bug. As I don’t think a serious action type could pull it off. Let me know in comments who you would choose to play ambush bug and why? And whether it should be a tv series or movie series. jim_carrey_112204_lemony_snicket|297x396

!

3 Likes

Ambush Bug was played by Henry Winkler in Batman: The Brave and the Bold. I think he could do it in live action too.

6 Likes

I saw one of the episodes with him, batman, and aquaman against Grodd and Batmite. His performance was spot-on. I agree; and its not like animated actors haven’t done live action before or can’t do it as mark hamill was great as trickster in flash tv series and the original voice actor for martian manhunter was perfect in supergirl tv series; so its not an entirely unknown factor and its very possible. Great choice.

2 Likes

Oh jeez I’m gonna take this way too seriously

I think Jim Carrey could be good, but I think Bug needs to be able to deadpan. I love Winkler, but I wasn’t really feeling him as Bug. I would prefer the actor to be Jewish since I think Bug is, and to honor his comedic legacy…

I’m gonna go agonize about this

3 Likes

Sure. Why not Will Ferrell? He needs to redeem himself after the crime against humanity that was Holmes & Watson.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right there should be more awareness for this character. DC film universe needs more comedic characters. But not just comedy I find there is an appreciation for all things DC whenever he breaks the fourth wall as far as his awareness of the continuity as it stands. Maybe we will hear a few jokes about the previous DC films mentioned and the previous director Zak Snyder. Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

Will Ferrell hasn’t done any hero films yet but I would say he gots potential maybe not with his most recent endeavors, but that land of the lost movie and of course step brothers made me think he could pull it off.

2 Likes

I think Bill Hader could be a good Arghyle the sock for the movies. What do you guys think?

2 Likes

I think other than will ferrell or Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler might could be a good Ambush Bug. adam-sandler-9542505-1-402

2 Likes

I agree with Will Ferrell being able to act in any style. Like your other suggestion Jim Carrey, people never thought he could play a serious role. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Truman Show, The Majestic, He was also in Clint Eastwood’s Deadpool as Johnny Squares & small part in Eastwood’s Pink Cadillac a year later. To finish. I’ve heard multiple times from other actors or people in the biz that Ferrell could do anything he wanted acting wise. Not personally, but thru media, talk shows etc. I think Harland Williams could do it. He’s basically a real life ambush bug.

3 Likes

Harland certainly has the look down pat and the chops to do it so its a possibility for sure. Thanks for your input.

3 Likes

I was just about to suggest Bill Hader as an option for Bug! :laughing: Harland Williams is an interesting idea, too. The important thing to me is that the actor can do deadpan AND cartoony over-the-top.

3 Likes

As for villains Arghyle sock could be used. Maybe some of the writers, producers, or artists could be the villains as being similar to comics, and maybe mention or reference darkseid in film. But I don’t think there should be a solid focus on darkseid, but more of have him in background. And for some parts of film they could have him fight some superhero. Doesn’t have to be batman or superman as I know current DC climate is trying to avoid team-ups to focus on solo films, but they could use a lesser hero for the film. Ambush bug can have a neutral aspect to him at times. Also, am not sure about whether cheeks the toy wonder should be voice acted or just a prop that ambush bug refers to as part of his personality.

1 Like

I could see Bill Hader as the Bug too. Good eye. just thinking of all the possible choices for villains and the background characters.

1 Like

Kate Mckinnon could be a good Dumb Bunny (Ambush bugs lover and partner in crime)
golden-globes-kate-mckinnon-ellen-degeneres

2 Likes

I refuse to watch anything with will farewell in it I can’t stand him never herd of ambush bug but I will refuse to watch anything with will farewell in it regardless

2 Likes

I respect your opinion. You should read the comics though, when you get the chance their pretty good and funny. Ambush Bug is like deadpool in that he breaks the fourth wall and has a hyper awareness to current continuity. He knows he’s a comic character and doesn’t take anything too seriously.

2 Likes

Karen Schaal as Jonni DC the continuity cop. She has done some voice acting for Bobs burgers and other animated shows of that regard. So she has some comedic value and talent plus she looks a bit like the character.

4 Likes

I’m not a comic reader sadly I prefer to watch then read

1 Like

And That’s okay. Some like watching more than reading and others vice versa. Whatever suits your preference.

2 Likes