:jsa_book_club: Huntress & Power Girl :jsa_book_club:

Hi members of the @JSABookClub and welcome to our second March session. Since March is Woman’s month this session will be covering the further adventures of the World’s Finest of Earth Two. Yep, I’m talking about Huntress and Power Girl. So lets get going and see what’s going on with our two heroines. First though we have…

JSA BOOK CLUB ROLL CALL

CLUB LEADERS

@JasonTodd428 & @Aurora

*STANDING MEMBERS

Abrax, AggressiveIntellectual219, Alec.Holland, anthony.javier3, Applejack, Azrael_Jean-PaulValley14, BatgirlsAmdSignalBookWhenDC, bbzo24, bigblock66, BlueBeetlesAssistant, BobbinIrving, Boswell99, Brenticus_Rex, bromepeter424, CaptainYesterday, CassTheStreet, CrazyQuilt, Daffern, Darkstarz, dave7atgosky, dave_worrell, DC_Community, Deathstroke’sPunisher, deborahma295, december360, djganon, Doctor075, DocterFate1, Don-El, fawsid, finn.p.campbell,frankie.lacy79, l, Frostbite30, ganaoque, harrist, HombreDeMaiz, hotstufflouie, HubCityAnswer, Jay_Kay, jayspice777, Jflow, jlevin, Jurisdiction, kaliym73, lunalane, mbpbinder, _meegs, Meisaj, Midnitehour, MiscellaneousSoup, MisfitCMJ, mitchellbpearson, MPMCN86, msgtv, Odbo255, PaintEater, parzival27, ProActress, QuadPen, ralphsix, Ravenrifft, ReaganFan78, Remember5NovEveyHammond, RexRebel, rlynchfamily, ROMANLEGION rspezzano, rwm, Ryan22, Scoop001, Sinestro1,slowp0Ketail, Smallengineerings, SuperBlue Grodd, TheCosmicMoth, TK52, Tommyskindlefire, TurokSonOfStone, YolandaMontezz, ZacharyLee1995

Remember to join the JSABC all you need do is hit the link!

Huntress & Power Girl Reading

* Wonder Woman #274-277

Discussion Point

What did you think of these stories?

Next month we will take a look at some more JSA adventures including stories featuring PG, Doc Mid-nite, and a time travel adventure featuring two Mr. Terrifics. Stay tuned folks this is gonna be a doozy.

7 Likes

Related to JSA

This week
My Hawkgirl Topic
Covers Kendra Saunders

Link

4 Likes

Oh this Wonder Woman is from the Bronze Age very cool!

2 Likes

and hot

2 Likes

Love me some bronze age Wondy. Also love that, for a time, Huntress was the backup feature. I do wish there was more available.

3 Likes

I think this story matches how I feel about Levitiz’s work- it is not thought provoking but simple good entertainment.

I do like how they make it clear the Batman person is the more trusting and hope inspiring than the Superman person.

I guess next time I get to write about why I prefer Terry to Michael. Sounds like JSA 39-44 (I am currently on issue 28 on my annual reread).

3 Likes

After reading these I’ll just note this was a interesting way to try to make these two characters have a little more depth beyond what you could see in the regular JSA series.

This Huntress is definitely a lot tamer and more in line with being a law abiding citizen than the one we know now.

They didn’t do much with Power Girl’s secret identity which I thought was kind of a shame at least in these issues.

I also thought it quite curious that the writer assumed that these two would automatically have boyfriends I guess always and at the same time.

5 Likes

Paul Levitz talks about his abilities in writing female super heroes when he just started writing

In the Helena Wayne trade

Link to
Forward
Of Trade

In second half of post

5 Likes

Nice quotation from the book!

I do prefer this version of Huntress, daughter I recall of Earth 2 Batman and Earth 2 Catwoman, to the one that appears later that’s far more lawless.

5 Likes

I finally jumped back in. They were fun but not thought provoking like @hubcityanswer said. This is definitely an era I haven’t read and would like to dive into more.

3 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950

Thanks for the link.

I always have preferred the Helena Wayne version myself. I was and still am a longtime fan of the character reading everything I could get my hands on back then. I was really upset that she and her Earth were both wiped from continuity.

4 Likes

Good to see you @hotstufflouieb!

While a lot of comics in this era aren’t necessarily “thought provoking” they are most certainly a lot of fun to read. Or at least I think so anyway. There are just times I want to read something fun rather than say something that includes a lot of gratuitous violence.

4 Likes

Obsidian’s actor has been confirmed for Stargirl Season 3

4 Likes

Excellent! Can’t wait!

2 Likes

I enjoyed these tales at the time and still do after rereading them. The interaction between PG and H is just too good, and having a female buddy story was great to read.

2 Likes