Human Target: A New DC BLACK LABEL SERIES

Can’t wait.

And I need the Clue-esque image as a print/post immediately.

2 Likes

I was searching for the artists of the Clue-esque variant (Trevor Hairsine & Danny Miki) so I could order it from my LCS, and stumbled upon Greg Smallwood’s twitter post from last week, sharing his original cover art design … featuring overt Scott Free, no sign of a furry lantern, and a non-furry hand with a non-construct knife. Hmmmm…

3 Likes

I wonder how bad Tom King is going to screw up Human Target.

1 Like

Well, issue #4 just came out today, and I wonder how people are liking this series! I have to say, I’m a complete JLI noob, but I am really enjoying this. After I was extremely frustrated with Mister Miracle, Strange Adventures, Rorschach, and Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow (but loving Batman, Bat/Cat, Omega Men, and Vision), this seems to be the kind of Tom King book I really enjoy. Thoughtful, with an amazing artist pushing himself to the limit with King’s exploration of history, ethics, psychology, and philosophy.

2 Likes

I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. When Tom King first hinted about doing a series that involved Fire and Ice, I’ll admit I was pretty apprehensive about it. (After all, this was a short while after Heroes in Crisis. And before Flash Forward so what King had done in that series to Wally West and Roy Harper etc… was still pretty fresh in my mind.)
King has the voices down pretty well for the characters, (for the most part) but I’m not sure Ice would ever say Jesus Christ Guy! Wherher she’s a Norwegian Ice Goddess/Princess or a Unique Meta Human born into a Romani family, the phrase just doesn’t fit with her character. Almost any other member of the team, sure… But not her of J’onn.

2 Likes

As a relative newbie to most of the JLI, I appreciate the info!

1 Like

So that…. took an unexpected turn. :flushed:

Love this series - but absolutely did not see that coming.

2 Likes

I don’t have a particular attachment to most of the characters featured so far (the one I do, Blue Beetle, I think came across pretty well so far), but I found issue #6 very icky. Just felt artistically very flat in terms of characterization, and makes me not really care what happens next to any of them.

1 Like

I guess that’s the point. These days DC has many characters that were on the sidelines for many years. Some of them have many die-hard fans who have been looking to see them make a comeback. While there’s other readers who weren’t reading those books “back in the day” and as a result, they don’t have the same investment in the characters that the older readers do.
Personally, as a long-time fan of the JLI (and of the couple of Guy Gardner and Ice) I was really sickened by the entire sequence of events in this latest issue. (On the other hand, my understanding of how a GL ring operates, leads me to believe this is very much just a dream/delusion Al scenario that Chance is running through his head to figure out the mystery of who killed him…. )

3 Likes

A very interesting post from Tom King about the question of whether this is in continuity:

TLDR: he says there’s three kinds. 1) Not continuity (Sandman, Sheriff of Babylon). 2) Future/AU - not continuity. 3) Possibly continuity if readers and other writers like it enough (Killing Joke, his own stories).

Interestingly, King says that he thinks that his stuff COULD be canon, but it doesn’t have to be unless other writers want to use it.

2 Likes

Finally caught up with the last couple issues and it has undoubtedly become my favorite current series.

1 Like

What did you think of the big shocking event in issue 6?

2 Likes

It was interesting and oddly satisfying but I feel like it will be a major part of whatever twist is coming.

1 Like

A one shot anthology issue written by King, art by Kevin Maguire, Mikel Janin, and Rafael Albuquerque (who provides one of the covers, included here, gorgeous stuff!), presumably hitting in August.

I’m still pretty upset about what happened in issue #6 - I really hate Chance at this point, and don’t feel much better about Ice - but I’ll see what happens with this.

Plus, the series is starting to hit DCUI, so maybe we’ll see some new people wanting to talk about it soon!

4 Likes