How would you improve Titans?

A Starfire who actually looks and acts like an alien rather than like an American, a team actually wearing their supersuits with more action scenes rather than a bunch of individuals still trying to be normal when they’re not, Robin should have become Nightwing already, Gar should transform more and into more than 2 animals, and they need to stop saying g.d. all the time.

6 Likes

1.) The angst is sooooooo out of touch and indulgently narrow - because it’s all fueled by senses of entitlement. If they were power-less, they still wouldn’t be happy. It feels like they wrote this show sometime between 2004 and 2007 and that they think that’s all good.

2.) The costumes are just embarrassingly HORRIBLE… like gawd awful comic-con, how do these poor people expect to move around, who the hell signed off on that - horrible. I feel so bad for the actors whenever they appear in them. It’s utterly impossible to take anything that they do remotely seriously when they are in costume. The actors have to know it and it probably just destroys their moral. Whomever signed off on those costumes really should get fired.

3.) The photography is so dark. Often hard to see what’s happened. Yet, at the same time, it somehow looks like an expensive corporate video. I think it’s seeing that same talking head shot - where the eyeline leads the negative space - over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, again.

4.) Beast Boy seems like the only person who wants to be here, therefore the only one I worry for. Conner has a ton of potential too, because he’s unspoiled. Dick needs to stop thinking about who he isn’t and just have some pride about who he is. It’d be refreshing to see a positive leader. Korri’s cool, but makes absolutely no sense. Rachael became utterly aimlessly and is just wasted now. Donna has no purpose whatsoever, other than to just bring everyone down. Jason is THE absolute worst character on any show since Joffrey - but Jason is MUCH more painful to endure.

5.) DC, please get with it. We know you can do it. DOOM PATROL is / was AMAZING! Whomever is really in charge of Titans, (and presumably Swamp Thing because it’s narrative was equal in out of touch idiocy), those folks truly are sinking your ship. We don’t care if they made a lot of money for you way back yonder. Right now, they are tired and they are simply killing the genre with spite from within.

6 Likes

Feels to me like the main issue we can agree on is the characters being too angst-y, and I agree. Also this isn’t Dick Grayson, it’s a Bruce Wayne surrogate. They clearly wanted to do more Batman stuff and just snuck it into Dick’s arc.

11 Likes

It’s hard to say exactly but all I know is that I think Titans has a lot potential especially that have a very very well casted show and Brenton Thwaites is really good as Dick Grayson. A lot of the things I would fix it I were writing an episode is more superhero stuff and not necessarily “let’s go fight bad guys” but at least showing your whole roster of hero’s in their suits could go a long way to go reminding you that you’re watching a comic book show and not a drama with familiar names. Secondly, trim the fat. As interesting as the show is they can never really seem to focus or say what the main story is… One second we’re down memory lane with Starfire and her off world family drama, then we’re meeting Connor for the first time, a quick and unsatisfactory K.O to Trigon, and a border line cringy imaginary dancing Bruce Wayne… FOCUS ON YOUR STORY and only introduce characters if they have a part to play in the grand scheme of things. Right now the big issue with the show is they’re juggling too many plot threads that vere off what I assume is the main issue and they have too many good characters being given and not utilized like Bruce Wayne, Beastboy, Jason Todd, Raven and Superboy. Just like sports you need to have a plan and put the players on the field you’re going to use and bench the others… That’s not to say they’re bad but you don’t really need them right but you will use them later for another play.
The only character I feel most of us relate with currently is Beastboy because he’s the only one who seems excited to be apart of this and sees the potential.

7 Likes

I’m still sad the series wasted there most powerful villain Trigon and Rachel arc​:cry::cry::cry:

8 Likes

Wally. Done.

4 Likes
  1. Dial back on the murder. Heroes killing is already a bit ambiguous for DC. But having them kill innocent people is just wrong.
  2. Give us a bit more Beast Boy (currently just Tiger Snake to his friends).
  3. Make it more hero-centric. The episode everyone really enjoys is when their all in costume fighting to stop a villain. I thinks that’s what we all want from Titans.
    Those are my 3 things.
12 Likes

I feel they have done a pretty good job with character development thus far and while I think they have handled going from one plot story to another within eps. this season, I would like S3 eps. to be more about just taking down bad guys in 1-3 contained eps. I feel we have learned a good bit about each hero and would like to get to the action more. Also unless its cyborg or kid flash, don’t bring in anymore heroes to the team, its a good line up as is.

2 Likes

Very true I hate that they waist beast boy. He shows up once every couple episodes just so that they can remind you how much potential the show has.

3 Likes

Less characters. Season 1 & Season 2 have an issue of handling too many characters at once. Season 1’s pacing kept dragging or interrupted the overall Trigon/Cult of Trigon plot as we got the appearances by other characters for several episodes. Hank, Dawn, Jason and Donna had 0 effect in Trigon’s take down which made their appearances and places in the story all the more underwhelming since it led to nothing. Where the OG Titans + Jason bogged down the pace of the plot in Season 1, Season 2’s OG Titans story-line + introduction of even more characters has pushed aside other characters who were set-up as the main characters for the whole series (just look at the original promo posters it’s all about Robin, Beast Boy, Starfire and Raven). Gar had 7 episodes where he barely did anything in Season 2 so far. This season feels like Rachel and Gar are more like background characters to everything that’s happening around them. They just can’t handle balancing character screen-time/development & with so many plot threads happening at the same time we get incoherent narrative’s just like the most recent episode (S2,Ep9). Also the creators of Titans including Geoff Johns are big fans of Netlix’s Ozark WE GET IT the aesthetic works for that show but doesn’t make me take things less seriously when you copy and paste their filter over Titans. They’ve gotten a bit better at not using it so much in Season 2 but still purposely film, light or edit certain scenes just to have that look for no reason.

6 Likes

This is the same gray tone they’ve used on a lot of DC properties and I think it’s horrible. It works on Batman related stuff, but not everywhere else. I think if they had taken the exact same script, same actors, same everything and just made Man of Steel less gray, it would have improved the thing immensely. Same thing with Titans.

6 Likes

Even within the marketing departments they probably know the desaturated/filter look is unappealing to most people which is why I think they amped up the colors for the Titans posters for Netflix but they keep using the filters on the show… :confused:

8 Likes

Wait, I knew Titans was on Netflix in the international markets, but Netflix “Original” Series? That’s interesting.

Sorry, I know I’m digressing, that just took me by surprise.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Need fun Nightwing NAOW!

9 Likes

Simple:

Lighten. It. Up.

Get the heroes together. Keep the heroes together. Get them in costume. Get them doing things together.

GET SOME BLASTED COLORS!

I swear to Rao that the show’s color palette is, “Gray with a shade of darker gray.”

I feel like I’m watching an early 2000’s first person shooter.

Stop everyone being so freaking mopey all the time.

Do something fun.

Have the team go out and fight crime.

Stop.
Being.
So.
Darn.
Dark.

Seriously guys, go into the corner, listen to “My Chemical Romance” and write poetry about darkness and the fragility of life into your diary.

Get over it.

Have Bruce show up and yell at Dick, “Stop! Being! An! Idiot!”
spwnLpJ_d

22 Likes

Agreed man agreed

2 Likes

Here is a guilty admission. I EXPECT Titans stories to be a hot mess. The last 20 years of titans comics have been the same hot mess. Darkstar Donna & liquid golden metal vic… i remember a lineup where most of the team has mullets. We have had two titans cartoons that are great in certain ways but not at all a straight translation of the comics.

By now every age group has thier own different concept of what the Titans “should be like” including retired baby boomers who want thier 1968 cartoon back. (Or the “real titans” as they are called in senior circles)

The new animated movie really drives this home.

I like the show EXACTLY as it is.

I have the Wolfman Perez run if i want to revisit that. I do not want live action “young justice”. I am actually enjoying that a good half the show is “Dick Greyson’s emotional baggage”.

9 Likes

I completely agree lol

2 Likes

That’s a good point

3 Likes

My biggest issue this season is that they don’t suit up. Even in the flash back when they find winter green. Like there’s no reason for them to walk around hiding their identity if their going to walk around in civilian clothes.

9 Likes