How would you improve Jared Leto's Joker

By him not being in suicide squad in the first place

That is a tough question! I’d say the biggest thing I would change is recasting him with a different actor. No offense meant to Leto but I don’t know if he understood the character all that well and stories about his method acting paint him as just difficult to film with. It’s difficult to put out a really solid movie if one actor is firebombing bridges with his costars.

Let me pass it back to the rest of you: Do you think that a method actor’s behavior on set can negatively affect the movie itself? Or should actors be expected to do what they need to in order to get in character?

4 Likes

@Zatanna, someone, either Leto himself or David Ayer, I can’t remember who exactly, later admitted that much of Leto’s supposed on set antics didn’t even happen. They just went along with the over-exaggerated reports on his supposed crazy antics, because it was good for marketing the movie. I’d post a link to the quotes or interview proving this, but unfortunately I don’t remember where I saw it. This was long after the movie’s release, so it was underreported. So there’s no need to smear him as an actor and a person over stuff that probably wasn’t totally true.

3 Likes

Simple. Give him funny things to say. “Jokes”, you will. I feel that was the only problem. He did maniacal, temperamental, violent, and creepy well, but he wasnt funny at all.

3 Likes

Remove the tattoos, the voice tone needs to go, the flashy wardrobe needs to go, the hair could use some work and more screen time with a better script for Leto

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard that @XName360! While it certainly wasn’t my intention to smear him in any way, I’m really grateful for the additional context. :smile:

@Zatanna, yeah, I’d share the link to the comments if I can find it. I tried looking for the story again, but searching for anything Leto and Suicide Squad related means having to sift through hundreds of articles talking about his supposed crazy antics, before I can find the one clarifying the truth.

@Zatanna and @XNam360 In this short video clip, Leto clarifies the extent of the truth regarding the “gifts”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE_hF1R20rg

1 Like

By not casting him

2 Likes

Worst Joker ever, his performance can’t be salvaged

2 Likes

I like Leto’s Joker

Said nobody ever LOL

1 Like

Make Joaquin’s Joker canon if the movie does well.

@BatmanOfZur-En-Arrh, yes, that’s what I was referring to. Thanks for finding it.

@Zatanna, let’s hear from you again after you watch Leto’s interview video, if it changes your mind on anything you said about him earlier.

Step 1:
Get rid of the “Juggalo” vibe. No gold teeth, no tattoo on his head that reads “Damaged.”

Step 2:
Grow the hair out a little. Give him the purple Joker jacket.

Step 3:
Give him the Joker smile. I don’t mean the Heath Ledger scar, I mean give him a smile.

Step 4:
Improve the laugh. There is one Joker voice, Mark Hamill. In fact redub all of Leto’s dialogue with Hamill’s voice.

3 Likes

It was the direction and the design of the joker that ruined the performance. I don’t think Jared Leto was the right choice to play the joker, but if they had designed the character in the movie to be the joker it would have been cast differently and this wouldn’t be a discussion. That being said, if they made the joker the joker on the pre-production side I think Jared would have be able to do a much better version of the joker. He just did t have anything resembling the joker to work with.

1 Like

I hope we never see Leto’s Joker again. He was definitely the worst part of Suicide Squad. He looked ridiculous.

2 Likes

I don’t think Leto actually understands the concept of humor Maybe if we teach him what funny is. Also get rid of the face tattoos.

2 Likes

Give him a good script. He’s more than capable as an actor. Also, make him Jason Todd and Arthur Fleck is original Mr. J.

2 Likes