How to Stop Writing Batman Wrong

A lot of good points here. I especially agree that Batman should be more of a detective and less of a vindictive meathead. Also, creativity is key when it comes to using gadgets. It’s not about giving him every made-up gizmo known to man, it’s about using what he’s got in a way that gets him out of a jam. I mean, a person could go out and buy a tool kit the size of a refrigerator, or they can stick with the dozen or so standard tools and learn how to use them for everything. Same goes for Batman. He could carry whatever the plot requires in his utility belt, or he could be forced to improvise and in so doing form a much better story.

5 Likes

There’s a huge difference between a complaint about writing Batman as a metahuman jerk and a critique of sexism in comics, though. Only one of those things is overtly related to systemic societal problems. (And yeah, you could argue that Bruce is prone to toxic batmasculinity, but there’s still room for the characters inside the universe to criticize him for his behavior, while Cheesecake Starfire doesn’t lend herself to much more than ogling and objectification.)

And I really get irritated when people start arguing about power levels with a passion more appropriate for politics. Not that BatJamags did so.

3 Likes

@AlexanderKnox Bad example on my part, but same stance. The conversation continued at the link DeSade provides above.

2 Likes

I read it, but I didn’t want to clutter up Office Hours. I prefer to keep that thread for inane questions. :wink:

2 Likes

I totally agree with point 3, I feel like their this big misconception that batman can’t be happy or be funny, I agree with the other points but 3 the one I agree with the most

3 Likes

@JeepersItsTheJamags, I like your initial post and feel like a Batman story written that way could be a lot of fun to read. I especially like your contrast of “ethics of justice” vs “ethics of power” when comparing Batman and Superman; something that I feel is very intuitive, but haven’t seen articulated like that. Very well written.

Curious, have you read Batman Universe by Bendis and Derington? I think it’s a recent story that incorporates some of what you mentioned, at least the lightening up part, quite nicely.

3 Likes

Haven’t really been keeping up with recent books all that well, but I’ll keep that one in mind.

1 Like

You had me until your “one per” rules. So Bathound is kidnapped by a vicious herd of pre-schoolers. Bats must smile, joke and can’t beat more than four and has to help a little old lady across the street? Establish the character you wish to portray, then let the situation dictate his actions within those circumstances.

1 Like

Well, I did call them Training Wheels for that reason. Following them is a brute-force way of fixing the problems I was discussing in the earlier points, but as I said, a skilled writer wouldn’t need to (and probably shouldn’t) follow them to the letter because not every plot accommodates all of them.

1 Like

Awesome because that Bathound synopsis is my first story pitch. And, Batman punches the old lady for jaywalking. Were I editing the Bat books I’d want a writer who generally has your POV on the character, my dictates would be broader.
Batman is not:
-a jerk
-needlessly cruel or callous
-not a meta (obviously)
-does not have a device for everything (barring prep)

Batman is
-worlds greatest detective
-a leader
-relentless

5 Likes

This is a pretty good write-up. Like others have said, I like the idea of “ethics of justice” being a key aspect.

One thing that…I don’t disagree with, but I find odd is that people always say that Batman is too much of a jerk and needing to lighten up, when I think the peak of that was around the mid-00s and really hasn’t shown up since Morrison took over the title.

1 Like

I think this is well said. I hate when people who don’t understand Bruce’s character are in charge of portraying him. Every time something shows him as “just the rich kid” I’m like, World’s Greatest Detective? People go overboard on him being rough on his family as well. I found the way he treated Grayson in young justice to be charming and it really made his father persona shine. The Batman and The Batman Animated series also did well with showing the heart behind the mask. At the end of the day I want Batman on my team when the world is in trouble so please don’t write him as a loser!

3 Likes

Really good post. I completely agree with the detective angle too. It’s unfortunate they don’t focus on that. You’d have to focus less on the family, but that would be okay. You’d still need a Robin around to balance things out. It’s too bad there isn’t and existing Robin who is brilliant, competent, tech savvy, and likely the 2nd greatest detective in the world. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Now there is an arc. Have Batman and Drake unknowingly working the same case. Have Drake “one up” the Batman on finding better/more clues and doing the more accurate deduction. Drake ends up by quietly putting a stop to things and just has he finishes Batman crashes in through a window only to see the situation resolved. Last panel is:
Batman: Excellent Drake.
Drake: Elementary, my dear Batman.

3 Likes

I like when hes always super serious but not when hes straight up rude all the time. I totally get the whole "gadget " thing too. It is crazy how he always has a magic solution in his belt. Like in the Nightwing stories often Dick has to keep a count on his supply and his gadgets arnt as all around handy in every situation. But he has his strengths he focuses on combat analysis and he can hack most computers. I feel batman should too be written this way more often.

3 Likes

Just ran into this page from Batman #486 by Doug Moench and it reminded me of this discussion.

6 Likes

It feels like that would be the way it should play out… I’d like that.

1 Like

I second this

2 Likes

I agree with this entirely except (armchair psychologizing) he’s still obsessed with preventing what happened to him and his parents from happening to others. My dad died of a heart attack, but I don’t wear a crazy costume and drive around town going into restaurants, slapping salt out of peoples hands, and handing them a substitute. :wink:

It makes me sad to think it’s all he knows to do anymore. That’s one sad panel.

1 Like

You make many great points about Batman basics often being overlooked. But part of the fun of comics is seeing the many versions of the character from various creators’ perspectives.

1 Like