How Rebirth Failed Where DCYou Succeeded (Opinion)

Yeah I dropped all my titles cuz they ruined them (Titans and Nightwing) so I am currently not pulling DC at all either.

So, does that mean DCYou was before the New 52? And then Rebirth? Is that the correct order?

New 52 —> DCYou —> Rebirth

1 Like

I’m just…I’m just worried about 5G. I don’t want the classic characters to be replaced. Bruce Wayne as Batman (and Dick Grayson) is the whole reason I got into the comics in the first place. I wouldn’t mind 5G being its own series, but I still want to read the classic characters doing their thing. I know they’ll still have Black Label, but it’s not the same. I don’t know what I’m going to do if this ends up being the main run. I’ve read contradicting information about whether or not it will be.

1 Like

I’m not trying to set myself up for hate, but I feel like you guys are expressing the desire for freedom of expression rarely seen in the big two publishing houses. Unless the writer owns the character; the ideas are going to go through a dozen creative filters before they see print. That’s why there are imprints. Young Animal has way more creative freedom because it distances itself from the mainstream stuff. The mainstream stuff gets bogged down by legacy.

3 Likes

I’d be willing to bet you won’t see 5G anytime soon. If at all. Things are too bonkers in the world right now.

3 Likes

Yeah. You’re right, but also I’ll take more creator autonomy wherever I can get it.

2 Likes

At least there’s that.

1 Like

Trying to find something that I like about DCYou is akin to trying to find something that I like about the New 52. It isn’t easy, and it certainly isn’t going to be in the Batman books. (Meanwhile, I love the Rebirth Batman and 'Tec stories.)

The “new” approach taken to Superman would have worked fine in something akin to an Ultimate Marvel universe, but Clark Kent is a happily-married man, and when I read a story that’s set in the main continuity, I want to read a story about a happily-married man. That said, I can enjoy Morrison’s run on Action and Pak’s Truth arc as long as I treat them as an Elseworlds story.

1 Like

I think there was a lot to like about both DCYou and Rebirth. Starfire, Omega Men, Grayson, Valentine’s run on Catwoman, Robin Son of Batman, even the flawed Batman and Robin Eternal - all standout titles. Plenty of stuff that didn’t hit for me, but that’s normal.

Over in Rebirth, Deathstroke, Batman, Detective Comics, Rucka on Wonder Woman - all bit hits for me.

1 Like

Yeah. All of those were very good. There definitely were other Rebirth books that I liked and didn’t mention, but I still wasn’t a fan on the whole.

Fair enough. I do think that while very interesting and often exciting, it’s not really fair to expect a publisher to continue doing things that sold as dramatically poorly as DCYou. Even though, as I just showed, I did like a lot of what they were doing.

1 Like

Rebirth is fine. Young Justice is possibly my favorite team. I think it’s time for Bendis to hand that title over to a new writer. His Superman is so-so. He needs to leave YJ though. I feel like everyone has the same voice in that. If that makes sense.