How Often Do Y’all Sit Down and Read a Comic or Two?

Like the title of the topic says, I’m just curious as to , how often you guys actually sit down and read some good ol’ fashioned comic books? I will sadly admit that I don’t read nearly as much as I would like to. And I would typically attribute this to being busy, even though I know it’s just because I’m kinda lazy and don’t put down my phone as often as I should. So I want to know how many other people there are in a similar boat as me. Or, to those of you that read a whole lot, do you have any tips or tricks to how you have so much willpower?

4 Likes

It would take me willpower not to read at least one comic a day.

13 Likes

I read a decent amount of comics while on conference calls, speaker calls, sitting on-hold and/or waiting for people to call/text me back about work stuff.

I also take mini-breaks during the work day and read books during those periods. Being a speed reader with a high reading comprehension helps too. However, I attribute most of my daytime reading to slacking off at designated periods of the day when work allows for it.

7 Likes

Lol @Vroom, that sounds ideal. How long does it take you to get through a single issue?

2 Likes

@ralphsix I wish that were the case

1 Like

It takes me forever to read comics because I wind up gawking at the artwork panel by panel, so I won’t always finish an issue per day, but on weekdays, I’ll usually read for at least 15-30 min before bed; more, if I don’t have a book I’m hooked on.

Edit: no willpower needed :slight_smile: It’s practically a necessity. Reading is my way of winding my brain down before crashing. TV doesn’t make me tired at all.

7 Likes

10 minutes or less on average. The time can fluctuate based on the size of a book and just how much time I want to utilize in admiring the detail of it’s art.

5 Likes

Between this service, Hoopla, Comixology, and my LCS, I read quite a bit. Now that baseball season is over I’ll get even more comic reading done. I have a monkey on my back.

5 Likes

I’ve been reading Batman Rebirth, I’m on issue #13. It’s really good.

4 Likes

Bane in these last couple issues reminds me of ,Colonel Kurtz from, “Apocalypse Now.”

3 Likes

@IssacBrown Oh nice! I’ve heard some good things about King’s run. I’m glad you’re enjoying it so far. Who would you say is your favorite Batman writer?

2 Likes

It’s about as easy as reading a magazine. Read it in the bathroom, the waiting room, or during an inexplicably long commercial break. Read it at lunch, at break, before bed. I read physical comics when they come out, just like a magazine. In case you hadn’t read it, comic book = magazine

4 Likes

It’s good and gritty but I’m not ready to make that declaration yet. He’s a heavy hitter though. I need to read more, and I will.

2 Likes

My favorites would be, Miller, Loeb and I enjoy a lot of Snyder’s stuff, court of Owls. And like I said King is inching up there the more I read.

3 Likes

I forgot Morrison. He’s one of the best IMO.

5 Likes

@IssacBrown Sweet! I’ve never read any of their stuff (except Snyder, which if fantastic!). Batman isn’t really my favorite character, but I’ve heard phenomenal things about the runs you mentioned, and I’ll probably end up reading them at some point lol.

3 Likes

Every day, though it’s probably about once a week that I actually sit down with floppies.

I pick different things that I want to read from month to month and just go at whatever pace I’m afforded. I mostly read back issues these days so I’m not restricted by waiting on something to come out

6 Likes

1 to 3 physical comics each night prior to going to sleep. And most evenings another 2 to 4 comics on here.

Since getting DCU and having so many reading options I have realized that comics truly are my preferred medium for entertainment.

I am a huge movie fan, loyally follow several tv shows, and am a lifelong book reader. But for me comics are the way to go.

10 Likes

Me, too. I tried to read a book recently and kept thinking, man, this would make a good comic!

3 Likes

I try to sit down and read a few over the weekend. :slight_smile: It’s such a great way to unwind.

6 Likes