How Jacked Should Wonder Woman Be?

Here’s a question to think about: How muscular should Wonder Woman’s physique look in the comics? Obviously, it wouldn’t be appealing if she were to have a hulking bodybuilder physique but as an immortal amazon warrior capable of amazing feats of strength, it would only make sense she would have at least some muscle on her. I think the perfect balance would be of a woman who actively does crossfit (like Brooke Ence) or a woman wrestler (like Charlotte Flair or Becky Lynch)

2 Likes

IMHO? A totally jacked Wonder Woman would honestly be pretty cool.

7 Likes

One of the ways Wonder Woman is different than a lot of her Justice League counterparts because she has extensive combat training with ancient weaponry. I think that training and movement style should be reflected in her physical depictions. She should look athletic and muscled like a female warrior who uses swords, shields, and a lasso. The god-like strength to lift cars or wrestle mountains is magic based, so I don’t think a body builder/weight lifter build is as appropriate.

8 Likes

As said, I think the demigod factor means she doesn’t have to appear as strong as she is. Alex Ross gives her a physical presence that I think is fitting.
This got me thinking, should Superman be jacked? His ability isn’t related to the size of his muscles but from other made up science. I think muscles are drawn for the reader most of the time, like when I see Iron Man with huge biceps. Uh wha?

3 Likes

Personally, I’m a fan of how Stjepan Sejic draws her!

13 Likes

I saw this picture and immediately thought this is what Wonder Woman should look like

5 Likes

Ideally, she should have the muscular of Michelangelo’s David applied to the female form. Take from the classical and renaissance forms of an ideal warrior physique. Which is probably best known to modern folks thru Michelangelo’s David.

I’d probably have to do some research but existing statues of Athena or Artemis would probably give a good approximation. Especially those from Sparta.

6 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte, that makes me think of this statue from Cryptozoic:

8 Likes

She should look like a Spartan Woman.

1 Like

I’d say that’s a good perspective on what type of musculature WW should have.

1 Like

She should be ripped- not necessarily like a body builder, because that’s not what she’s using her muscle mass for, but she should definitely be very muscular.

5 Likes

I prefer the physique of both females and males to look practical and balanced—toned and capable, yes, but not unrealistically imposing. WW specifically, as a reader I need to know I wouldn’t be able to win a fight! lol
So at minimum, this:

Also, I agree @BestBeastBoy! Actually. I like the way Sejic draws everyone, so I guess I agree w/ extreme prejudice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

I hadn’t really thought about it. She definitely should look muscular but still feminine. I think a lot of that depends on the face though.

1 Like

Ditto that!

1 Like

This is an issue I had with Batfleck. No way are you agile while that stacked. It showed in his movement. Same with Henry. I think Gadot is ideal in build (am I the only one who pictures WW at 6 feet? Why is that in my head?).

4 Likes

I totally imagine WW over 6ft, @Kon-El. You are NOT alone there :facepunch:t3:
As for Bats being all yolked out, I agree but for different reasons. Its really more about maintaining flexibility (like gymnasts), but now that I’m an adult w/ life experience, his size is more unrealistic to me than ever. It’s grueling and tedious (I used to crossfit) and he’d never have time to fight crime if he was trying to build& maintain that! :laughing:

5 Likes

I think the muscle mass is a problem, what you are really looking for is tone and definition.

I think what Darwyne Cooke did in New Frontier, where WW is taller than Superman was something that should become more canonical.

3 Likes

That statue is gorgeous.

1 Like

I don’t think she (or any superhero) should have egregious muscle mass, save that for Bane. Instead they should have very defined muscles. To me at least that even makes characters look stronger, since they don’t look like they’re made of water balloons.

4 Likes