How Do You Prefer Krypton’s Destruction? Brainiac or Natural Cause

Natural causes make it all that more tragic. Here is a civilization at its height and capricious fate ends it. It may not be a cautionary tale, but it still puts everything in perspective.

4 Likes

To be perfectly honest, I’m okay with the “cautionary tale” thing. Our society needs to hear it, again and again if necessary. Beat 'em over the head with the Krypton truncheon, that drastic action to save the planet is not radical but absolutely required, and if we can’t figure that out, we’ll end up like Krypton.

4 Likes

I have always thought that it was Brainiac who cause Krypton’s destruction, and tampered with the crystal codes to save the planet. I could imagine that in Teen Titans Go! To the Movies, I have always thought that the Titans also did fix Krypton’s problem and might’ve beaten up Brainiac after preventing Superman from becoming a hero, but they did found that mistake, to fix things up like they are supposed to be, have Superman be a hero, like the rest, the same thing of the Crime Alley murder of Batman’s parents as well.

3 Likes

An interesting take would be - the Kryptonians attempt to restore the red star Rao to a yellow star (to prevent it from going supernova) in exchange for Brianiac being allowed to collect few Kryptonians for his collection.
With the Kryptonians unlocking their powers as their star slowly turns yellow, Krypton would then plunge into a deadly civil war with various houses seeking to strengthen their influence.
After collecting his sample of Kryptonians, Brainiac studies Krypton’s progression into civil war. Realizing how powerful, dangerous and (ultimately) flawed Kyrpotians really are, reverses the restoration of the star Rao and purposefully destabilizes Krypton’s core.

3 Likes

now that is an interesting take, and he also takes Kandor before Krypton blows up.

2 Likes

Right. Thank you for adding that

3 Likes

Natural or Brainiac depends on the stories generated from it, I guess.

3 Likes

Natural causes

3 Likes

I always preferred that Krypton’s destruction be natural. I think it makes it much more tragic that way, as there isn’t really any way the Kryptonians could prevent it.

4 Likes

a lot of people been saying but wouldn’t brainiac also be unpreventable. I mean the kryptonians couldn’t stop him from stealing Kandor city nor in the other verison they could stop him from destroying krypton.

2 Likes

Loving your take on this subject @Green.Lantern.

3 Likes

I like a combination. Basically, the destruction was inevitable/would have been natural, but Brainiac’s actions sped it along. Jor-El’s warnings in this case could have saved additional lives.

4 Likes

Incredible book. If you like that, you should read Superman: Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S. Maggin. Also Miracle Monday by Maggin and the short Luthor’s Gift available online.

3 Likes

I don’t care as long as Joe El died with it. The slow creep of survivors over the years has really compromised the whole “Last Son of Krypton” angle imho. Jor El surviving is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

Wait, where has Jor el survived? I know about Kantor city, The phantom zone, and other kryptonians being off world but this is my first time hearing about Jor el surviving.

1 Like

Those are excellent books!

1 Like

He came back during Rebirth

2 Likes

A little before Rebirth, Action Comics introduced this mysterious character named Mr. Oz who was later revealed to be Jor-El in an arc called The Oz Effect. He’s been a recurring character in the Superman books since then and his actions also led to Jon’s age jump

1 Like

I think I prefer Brainiac as the cause if for no other reason that it just makes more sense. Krypton, near the end, was a very advanced society. A natural disaster would have given warning signs. I know that it is canon that Jor El tried to warn everyone and no one would listen, but I don’t buy that. This was a civilization of scientists. The second that Jor El made public his theory dozens of others would have investigated. With their advanced science and space travel capability even with only a weeks notice at least several hundred Kryptonians could have survived. It makes more sense that whatever happened came with no warning at all. Jor El just happened to have an small probe in his lab for his studies and was able to jury rig it to carry his infant son to safety.

2 Likes

I not sure if it’s still canon but I did read one story where a kryptonian did figure out krypton was going to explode but people chose to ignore because they didn’t want to believe it. So there were others but they were as helpless as jor el.

2 Likes