How Do You Get Work at DC Comics?

Will do! I might though. Would you mind DMing me before it happens?

Sorry to bother you. You seem to know a lot so I don’t want you to feel like you’re bombarded with questions but is it just artists? I couldn’t find anything on writers specifically.

1 Like

All the panels at DC Fandome are available at your convenience, for 24 hours. Just log in any time between 10 AM Pacific on Saturday and 10 AM Pacific on Sunday!

1 Like

Woof. Well, you can take some advice from Rick Remender who is a writer but your mileage will always vary. Most people have a strong creator owned stuff first before trying to work with big publishers. Though this is about how to create promote indie comics, I’m sure a lot applies

From a recent AMA on Reddit

2 Likes

Getting into DC as a writer is much different than getting in as an artist; I daresay that artists have an easier time being discovered on their merit.

3 Likes

Writers often come from other professions first as well.

2 Likes

I used to fancy myself a writer, but I realized over time I’m not. The words of Ray Bradbury ring true enough here. It’s not a direct quote because I don’t remember it Word for Word, but he said something to the effect of “If you’re a writer you write every day, even if you don’t feel like it. Write something every day if you’re serious about being a writer.“

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t know. Scott Snyder was writing prose books for a while and did stuff like American Vampire prior to getting a big title like Batman.

Artists can at least do commissions and whatnot but that doesn’t show anybody that you can meet deadlines and do sequential art.

1 Like

I know some places accept submissions, like Dark Horse comics. You can also create an online presence and tage DC in your art to draw their attention. My friend got in by getting a job as an editor at Dark Horse and since he knows the lay of the land he is working on his own comic to have published through them. So that’s another way to get in.

1 Like

DeviantArt, social media, assorted forums, our own fan forum (so long as it adheres to the guidelines), etc.

Pretty much anywhere online that has a decent viewability, really.

You never know where a DC Power That Be will decide to pop into when they feel like scouting for talent.

2 Likes

Skottie Young is in his 40s so times were different when he came up but his story is pretty funny

1 Like

Skotties one of my favorite artists. I hate fairyland was life

I just started getting into his stuff. Read volume 1 of I Hate Fairyland and read the first 2 volumes of Middlewest!

Man I love his Seven to Eternity and LOW stories which are both wrapping up soon :cry:

1 Like

The art in Low looks really cool. What’s the story about?

2 Likes

dystopian future where society has colonized under the ocean due to air pollution. Ages ago probes were sent out to look for new worlds to colonize but none ever returned but then signal is received from one that has. Journey involving multiple underwater cities to get to surface to recover probe while trying to survive these cities and how they have fallen into despair and savagery as they all are running out of clean air because filtration equipment is breaking down. And we’re off…

2 Likes

That actually sounds interesting. For some reason, I thought it was more monsters/occult. I’ll definitely give it a look. I think the first two trades are at my LCS on the discount rack!

1 Like

It’s pretty interesting. One good thing about buying volumes from publisher that aren’t the big two, PRICE!

1 Like

Low was a good read. I read it when it started, and it was one of the few non-DC books I was really into at the time.

@Bukdiah If you’re a Comixology Unlimited member, the first six issues of Low (and the volume 1 trade) are available there. You can try it out there, before buying it at your comic store, if you like.

2 Likes

you should be in bed young man!

1 Like