How Do You Get Work at DC Comics?

I’ve been drawing for years. Recently I drew a Doom Patrol original piece that could easily be used as a book cover with a title slapped onto it (Check it out. i posted the art on here :slight_smile: ). I also write. I would love to work at DC as a writer/artist and work on characters like the doom patrol, batman etc but DC doesn’t seem to have a conventional way of hiring people like a portfolio submission section on their website etc. Does anyone know how to become a writer or artist for DC Comics? Also tell me what series you would most want to write or draw if you worked for DC

8 Likes

No dc comics jobs are listed there. Like comic artist or writer.

2 Likes

Its an unconventional career path, so it will have an unconventional way in. Develop a portfolio or body of work. Perhaps start with a job in marketing/advertising that can be parlayed into something full time with DC. This would show work can be done professionally. Then add that in with your desire to draw/write for DC, and you have a case.

4 Likes

Um, to be honest I wouldn’t know who to contact

2 Likes

Tough with the upheaval. Get into the art world, and you’d be surprised what you’d find. The name of the game is connections. Social media might be a little difficult. Focus on what makes you different than the multitude of others that would like the same role.

2 Likes

I like to write as well. If I ever got the opportunity I would DEFINITELY go for Nightwing, Titans, Wonder Woman, and Stargirl.

Edit:
And Batman Beyond too!

2 Likes

Thanks, man. Both of your comments are filled with good suggestions!

1 Like

All really good picks!

2 Likes

Thanks they’re my favorite characters! And I also have to add Batman Beyond to that list.

1 Like

Have you tried being a friend of someone in a position of power?

7 Likes

I’ve heard that’s how a lot of people get into it. I don’t know where to contact people of power to befriend them lol

4 Likes

I write and draw also and have been interested in working in comics for years. The current path is to work for an independent publisher like Image, Boom Comics etc and after you have a resume of work you can shoot your shot at a DC editor. DC editor can sometimes be on social media but also you can connect with them at conventions. It’s a long process to working at DC or Marvel.

9 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions! Good luck, hopefully we’ll maybe work together some day :muscle:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to get into the business too, and from what I’ve seen and been told by instructors, your best way to get into DC or Marvel is to start off with your own original material, especially with writers.

One of the best ways to get your foot in was conventions where Marvel or DC editors are in attendance. There you can show off your portfolio and/or your own original comics and they’ll give you critiques and if they like your stuff, they might give you a shot somewhere. Unfortunately with the pandemic that stuff is on the wayside right now.

Scott Snyder has talked about recently how in 2021 he wants to start up his writers workshops in DC Comics. He’s done them in the past and some big writers have come out of it, like James Tynion, Joelle Jones, Marguerite Bennett, and Matthew Rosenberg. But to do that you have to have published at least some sort of material, even if it was self-published and put online. No word on if/when it’ll start.

I guess the main thing to glean from my rambling is that what these guys want most and what will get you into the door is them knowing that you are capable of finishing a complete project.

5 Likes

Putting your stuff online in places where editors, assistant editors and the like can see it is a good start.

Also, if you should get a material review from DC and they turn you down at the time, never take no for an answer. Keep refining your craft and continually put your revised work in front of them when you’re able to.

Afterall, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

As for what series I’d write: anything. I would literally take any gig DC threw my way. Even if it’s not a character/franchise/brand I like, I’d still take the gig and do it to the best of my ability so as to impress The Top Brass and get things moving.

My dream gig is anything Lobo or Superman-related, but again, anything goes.

2 Likes

In fact, didn’t DC announce (I want to blame it on Didio, but can’t find a formal announcement) that the company was no longer taking outside submissions? That basically leaves knowing someone at DC who just happens to be interested in your work…

3 Likes

There are going to be a bunch of panels at FANDOME about how to get work at DC as an artist! I suggest checking them out this weekend.

3 Likes

Awesome! Good to know. I’m actually working on a book about my own superheroes right now! They’re like the justice league of Florida

1 Like

Duudddeee I wanna write lobo too. One of my absolute favorite characters. Thanks for the advice, where are places to post work that editors might see it?

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t hear about that. That’s pretty crazy. Kinda sad too, a lot of talent will go unnoticed