How Do I Get Into Writing Comics?

I have recently been writing more comic stories and I believe my work is pretty good. But then again Everybody thinks there’s is great. But I really want to get into writing comics and even short story’s for dc. Or anyone for that matter. I have some content I would just like to know where to maybe send it or what I can do. I have a passion for comics I love dc so much and it’s had such a positive impact on my life. It’s my dream to be apart of dc in any kind of way I can but my real dream is write comics. I love dc and the characters and there story’s. This app is amazing I spend all my time on here whether I’m watching the shows or catching up on awesome comics or watching dc daily or writing and replying in the community. I bleed dc and I just would love to be apart of something that means so much to me. But any help in what to do or how to do it let me know. My character is writing right now is called legion. But I would love to write pre existing characters too. But any clues or directions on how and what to do let me know please. And if anybody’s hat works with dc in any capacity any words of advice or commments would be amazing I’m sure they don’t read these but hey it’d be cool if they did. Thanks Brett h.

4 Likes

By writing comics, you mean you already work with artists?

I’m sort of in the same boat as you. I plan to make a comic series in 2019, but I really do wanna do some DC Comics stuff, too. I’m mostly here for Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, and Batman (in that order). If you haven’t actually started making comics with full artwork in them, Image Comics looks like a good place to start. If you already have a comic book series, but it’s not that popular, I’d say step up your advertising and/or do some tweaks to your series. Also, look for some good reviewers.

2 Likes

If you want to get into comics, that’s great! Passion is definitely needed.

First step would be to start writing your own comics using your own, original, properties. Write scripts and keep practicing until you have a character and a story you love and believe in. Next, hire an editor to proofread your work. (I’ve met several freelance editors on social media that are very talented and eager to help you improve your work.) After your script is ready to go, find an artist that has a style to match your vision of the story. Hire them to draw your comic. Get a colorist and letterer if you need to, but basically get your comic ready. Then, find a publishing company near you that can do on-demand print runs.

Print a hundred copies or so of your comic and take it to comic conventions. Meet creators at DC and MARVEL, as well as Artist’s Alley and other smaller publishers. Give them your comic so they can read it and see a sample of your work. I also recommend publishing your comic online on WebToons and other web comic sites. Use Comixology if you want the chance to make a little money. When you meet people at conventions or other places, give them your card with a link to your comic. Basically, market yourself like crazy.

Rinse and repeat this several times, probably for years. The more you connect with the comics community and the creators/publishers within it, the more they will get to know you and your work. The more you do, the better you get, and hopefully you will eventually make the right connection that will help you get a foot in the door at DC.

Getting into comics is as tough as breaking into any other industry. It takes time and it’s not going to happen right away, but if you are in it for the long haul, then one day you will have your name on a DC comic.

Good luck!

• comicgrl

(Also, once you have a few finished comics under your belt, consider applying to the DC Writer’s Workshop, currently taught by Scott Snyder. If you get in, it’s a good way to get your foot in the door and start showing your stuff to DC. Some people get hired to work at DC coming out of the workshop.)

6 Likes

comicgrl is right. Hopefully one day, I get into the DC Writer’s Workshop. I’d like to be the next Geoff Johns.

1 Like

Yeah, I wanna make my own ongoing, but also do some DC one-shots, miniseries, or short story arcs now and then.

I’m very interested in writing comics, too (& hopefully working for dc someday). I have a degree in creative writing, but writing for comics isn’t really something I studied in school. I really want to learn to translate my fiction into a medium appropriate for comics & go from there.

There’s some great advice/ideas here in how to start!

2 Likes

Just Do It All Digital and post it on the various web comic sites, or even here just post a link to it. webcomics won’t cost you a dime. The Martian that the movie came from the Martian novel was all written on the web

Are they still doing the writers workshop? The last class I saw was in 2017.

No, that sadly ended that year. :frowning: And with the changes in DC/Warner Bros, I doubt it will happen again in the near future.