How Different Would Watchmen Be If It Had Charlton Comics Characters?

I’m waiting for DC to do a Avengers homoge team maxi-seires to complete the triagiy that includes Squadron Supurem (JLA and best Justice League story at that) and Watchmen(charlton).

1 Like

Possibly. But I feel like that line of thinking defeats the premise here. If you change the Charlton characters to be exactly like their Watchmen counterparts, then the answer to the initial premise of this thread is that Watchmen wouldn’t be different at all. The characters would just have different names and costumes.

I guess Watchmen would be different in that Dave Gibbons would have to get more creative in making panels focusing on The Question visually interesting. Denys Cowan did it by focusing on The Question’s environment, and making him a part of it, but those ink blot mask panels would have to take another form.

3 Likes

Yeah you’re right, so we wouldn’t get those panels and maybe moore would have to come up with something different with silk spectre

2 Likes

Another thing is that it would be a lot harder to do the Minutemen. If it’s all Charlton characters, then who’s Captain Metropolis? Who’s Hooded Justice? Or The Moth, or Dollar Bill, or The Silhouette? The entire history would have to be rewritten.

3 Likes

Really good point. I wonder if watchmen would’ve made the same impact it did now if it did use Charlton characters