House Styles: Yay or Nay?

So…I’m not as technically savvy as some of the folks here regarding…well…all the stuff you’re talking about here :joy:. However my vote would probably lean towards nay. I think what makes one particular artist’s style stand out is being able to compare it to other styles. If everybody illustrated the way Alex Ross does, I feel like it wouldn’t be so special, you know? I like having a variety of ways to look at a character and his/her world. On one hand it’s a refreshing change of pace, and on the other hand, if the illustration style is not to my liking, it is that much more satisfying when lay my eyes on something that is. To be my own devil’s advocate, however, there is something positive to be said when the art is consistently good in a given series, especially with artists changing.

I say thee nay.

I would adore it if DC had a much greater variety of style.

1 Like

I think there have been enough responses for me to chime in:

House styles make me throw up.

The idea of taking a single aesthetic that works for a single book and applying that look to your entire publishing line is bananas. It doesn’t matter if people like the look; Jason Fabok is a great artist, but I don’t want him to draw everything. Just talking DC, if the DC You run of Batgirl had been drawn by anyone other than Cameron Stewart, it would have made that comic exponentially worse, even though the writing would have been exactly the same.

When story tone and art don’t mesh, it creates a weird sense of discomfort in the reader, and clouds the intent of the book. I think of something like New 52 Demon Knights (a great book), and I see a missed opportunity. Yes, the story is very good. The problem is that what should have been a showcase for a unique art style was (no offense to the artists on that book, who were very good, just not in the vein that Demon Knights needed) instead pretty much the same thing you would have looked at if you had picked up that week’s Superman.

WHICH IS INSANE.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m somewhat of a comic book anarchist: I think that the job of editorial should be to make sure that the comics don’t have typos and that they read well, not to make sure that there aren’t continuity gaps between stories. So, something like a house style is my worst nightmare. Now, not only do my favorite comics get interrupted by major events that they have nothing to do with every six months, they also look like everything else.

sigh

Sorry about the rant, everyone. This kind of thing drives me nuts. I’m so, so glad that DC understands this now, and their books look more diverse and experimental than ever. I love that they’ve recognized this problem, have done almost a 180 turn, and really righted the ship.

Love to all,
-Batwing52

Especially you, Paul Cornell. You and Diogenes Neves, Michael Choi, Robson Rocha, Bernard Chang, Chad Hardin, and Phil Winslade. Demon Knights is very good.

1 Like