House of Horror - Week 2 - (October 8 - October 15)

I have the other books on schedule to read tomorrow but I think this book is the biggest surprise of the week. You are right, this is full-on soap opera that outdoes itself on each page that is turned. I picked this book because of the cover and the rating. Little did I know that I was uncovering what could be one of my favorite standalone stories on DCU.

3 Likes

I do have a question for everyone here, do you like the polls and questions for House of Horror or do you prefer the free flowing conversation?

Both work for me

2 Likes

Some quick thoughts on House of Mystery 2. Cress sort of takes the place of Cain as the “host” and leads us into the stories by the habitants of the House of Mystery. The story told by one of the patrons of the House of Mystery was okay but nowhere near as fun as issue 1’s story. The best part of issue 2 was Fig Keele and her misadventure of staying at the House of Mystery.

2 Likes

I have agree. It was a very big surprise to me as well. I liked all of these but I had a lot of fun reading Forbidden Love.

I like all of those.

2 Likes

Questions and polls will posted tomorrow!

On Monday, new books will be posted as a crossover with Renegade Robins and on Thursday I will post the 3rd book!

1 Like

I agree. Fig was the best part of issue 2.

1 Like

Polls are always fun

I enjoyed all the books this week. The Halloween special had the gore. House of mystery had the developing story, and forbidden love had the crazy.

2 Likes

While waiting for the next installment of House of Horror I’ve been reading some other stuff. I Finished “Basketful of Heads”, and started reading “I, Vampire”. Enjoying both Too bad “Basketful of heads” is not on DCU yet. What other horror comics are you reading?

2 Likes

Love I Vampire. Great book, got enough issues for a nice long story but not so long that it drags. And the art is perfect for the book

2 Likes

The art is one of the best parts of that book. Gives it the right atmosphere.

3 Likes

Just finished, ‘The Low,Low Woods’, That just made me sad. Very strong story.

1 Like

I keep hearing good things about I, Vampire but I’ve never read it. At the time it came out I was sick of vampire stories.

3 Likes

There’s no love or sparkles in this story. You’ll like it.

It’s good so far. There is a JLD crossover and I think the series is only 20 issues long.

DC House of Horror - Quick Thoughts
I dug this horror anthology that brings the world of superheroes into the dark world of horror. Bump in the Night featured Martha Kent and by the end of the story I couldn’t help but think of Brightburn, which is not a bad thing. In Man’s World, we find a character who is possessed by an Amazon, that looks awfully a lot like Wonder Woman. While the possession angle was cool, it needed the Amazon backstory that they are ruthless warriors against men. Instead, this felt more like late night college or high school shenanigans that took a dark turn. Crazy For You is a story about a man losing his bearings on reality after a brief run in with Harley Quinn. The concept is a little over the top for this story but the thought that a man would use Harley as his conscience while he dives deeper into madness is something that would be fun to explore in longer form. The Blackest Night is a quick zombie story involving the Justice League. This wasn’t bad but it never reaches the amazingness that is DCeased. Stray Arrow is another story that I would have liked to be a little longer. The Arrow Killer is on the loose and a familiar face is the only person who could take him down. Unmasked is a fun little story about Harvey Dent, not Two-Face, tracking down a killer who takes the skin off of faces. I really liked the ending of this story as I was not expecting it. I probably should have considering the build-up. The Possession of Billy Batson is sort of a retelling of Captain Marvel’s story but a bit more mysterious and 100% more angst.

The art in this book is a grab bag as it is an anthology. Some stories look better than others but the art is never bad. I think the first story was one of my favorites but I really did the movie Brightburn and that reminded me of that movie.

A Brief Overview of the Dark Mansion

This week we read The Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love which was the most mysterious title on our list. I am on leagueofcomicgeeks.com to log what books I read and they didn’t even have the individual books listed! I input the info and the covers and now anyone can log, rate, review, or even add to their owned comic list. I was talking to my friendly LCS guy, Adam, about this title and he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and most of the back issues in that store are from bygone eras. The point of me stating this is that this title is not popular. Even with the title not being popular, there was a sighting of the Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love in 2016’s Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, which like the original series has some amazing artwork filling its cover pages.

Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love debuted in 1971 as an anthology series riding on the waves of the popular soap opera Dark Shadows. We have compared the romance in issue 1 to a soap opera and we were on target. Oddly, Dark Mansion of Forbidden Tales was renamed Forbidden Tales of the Dark Mansion for issue 5. The format changed into something that was closer to House of Mystery or House of Secrets, including getting its own host Charity in issue 7. Starman fans might recognize Charity as a supporting character in that title. While there were only 4 issues of Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love and 11 issues for Forbidden Tales of the Dark Mansion, there was also a sister comic book titled Secrets of Sinister House. This is currently not on DCU but my fingers are crossed. Interestingly enough, this title has returned for a one-shot in 2019, which in theory means we can only hope to see this on DCU in the near future.

Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love issue 1

Forbidden Tales of the Dark Mansion 5

Secrets of Sinister House issue 9
Secrets of Sinister House (2019)

2 Likes

@LaserPuff I am hoping with DCUi we will be seeing those Hill House books added to our digital library.

What content will be available on DC UNIVERSE INFINITE?

The Biggest DC Digital Comic Book Library Anywhere, Ever: An expanded collection of 24,000+ DC Multiverse titles including select graphic novels, Black Label, with more to come!

@ZombossJasonTodd428 if I had to take a wild guess, I, Vampire is on the docket, I am not sure when we will be visiting that title but I do know that there are connections to House of Mystery!

Are you saying you did not appreciate the David Bowie-inspired baseball game in Twilight?!?!!?

Completely unrelated, but for those that do not know, my work schedule is currently 6 days a week. This has majorly cut into my comic reading time. I am not ending this club or anything like that, I love horror and comics and discussing the two with everyone here way too much. What this does mean, I had planned to get some polls and questions posted today, my only day off. However, I have been called into work and will not have the time to do so until maybe later tonight. With all of that said, Monday will be a little different for the inhabitants of the House of Horror as we are teaming up with Renegade Robins to discuss 2 books. Which only leads to my question. Would everyone prefer all 3 books listed on Monday and then go back to our regular schedule on Thursday or would you prefer the 2 books in the Renegade Robins crossover Monday and on Thursday the 3rd book will be listed?

• All of the next weeks books on Monday
  • Renegade Robins crossover on Monday and the 3rd book on Thursday
0 voters
1 Like

I vote for ‘you do what works for you’ if some weeks the ‘week’ is ten days long or it’s only 1 book, whatever works. Horror isn’t even my reading thing, and I’m still here so you’re doing something right.

2 Likes