House of Horror 63: Elvira's House of Pride

I also think it wouldn’t have worked since I don’t feel like she really reached cult/mainstream status till the last couple decades.

2 Likes

Of course my perception of what is popular has never been very keen.

1 Like

I would say she was pretty popular considering her first movie came out in less than a decade after she debuted on TV. Not to mention, her show was only a local late night movie show in LA and then became syndicated. By 1986 she had an MTV special which at the time was a big thing.

I would say her popularity has died down over the years and has more of a cult following now but that might be because she hasn’t really changed with the times. The concept of a movie host is all but gone, sure Joe Bob Briggs is doing his thing on Shudder and there are smaller hosts making a go at it on Facebook Live or YouTube, but it isn’t like it once was. But every year, up until a few years ago, she was selling out shows at Knotts for Halloween.

Then again, I am a fan of hers so I might not be the right person to speak on her popularity as I follow what she does.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget she was a featured star at WrestleMania 2 and she had all kinds of Coors ads and standees in the 80s. I would say she was a huge deal in a very short period of time, and that success has lasted 4 decades so far. At this point, she is iconic and her popularity is cemented if you ask me…

3 Likes

I have physical evidence of this!

Elvira gets talked about at work meetings pretty often because I work from home and she is in the background.

Here is a picture of her at WM2, which I completely forgot about.

4 Likes

Oh man… :joy: I love it!!! My buddy tore a seat out of the old Browns stadium our last game. It’s in his basement on a throne. He watches the Browns in it lol. That brings back a flood of memories. I’ve been going to Indians/ Guardians games since I was a little kid. Cavs at Richfield Coliseum, nonstop. Browns tail gates are indescribable. I know they say that everywhere. But, go to a Browns tailgate at the Muni Lot. Then we can have a discussion on who’s fans love their team regardless if we lose every year. It’s a Believeland thing I guess?

4 Likes

Fun Fact: I take pride in the fact that my mom went to high school with Cassandra Peterson, and was in a couple of her classes.

'Kay…bye. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

That’s awesome!!! Really…?

1 Like

Yeppers. My mom has photos of her and Ms. Peterson when they were hanging out at various school functions together, along with when they hung out outside of school.

1 Like

That rules!!! Sounds like a commercial sound byte lol, but it rules!!

1 Like

Well, if its a commercial for history and things that actually happened, then there you go. :superman_hv_4:

I think so. Too bad my mom doesn’t know her today, though.

1 Like

I’ve got a few. Uncle played high school football with Larry Csonka in Stow, Ohio. My cousin (rip) went to high school with Tim Allen & got him his start in show biz. He booked him a commercial & a stand up gig at GM in Akron for all of the ceos & upper management. It’s referenced in his biography documentary. He said he was telling jokes- & the entire time they were just eating steak, & making the famous grumbling sound that would propel his career. The whole men are pigs set. My high school tight end , & college tight end , & roommate/ dorm mate, went to the NFL. Never made a splash. But, he did earn 6 figures for 7yrs just to be on the practice squad. Not bad?

1 Like

See, if my mom did still know CP, I’d ask to her to come over to my place and autograph this:

Its the only Elvira figure I have, and I bought it because of @D4RK5TARZ’s showcase of House of Mystery what, a year or so ago?

I don’t usually give a :poop: about autographs, but if CP was to sign my Toony Terrors Elvira, that’d be pretty rad.

2 Likes

That’s awesome :star_struck:!!! Even without an autograph. Might have to look into an Elvira figure now.

2 Likes

This 8-inch Elvira was at Target a few months ago:

searches online a bit more

Hey, Big Bad Toy Store has her in-stock, right now!

As for the Toony Terrors version, she’s so cute! :hugs:

Its still at retail, but is on the way out, so if you want, check Target, as they usually have the best selection of Toony Terrors figures (Walmart is okay on them, but I’ve never seen the wave with Elvira there).

2 Likes

Omg that’s the ONE !!?

2 Likes

If you want Elvira in a cloth outfit and at the 8-inch scale? Then yeah, that’s the one.

I saw her at Target during the NECA Haul-a-thon event and she was cool, but not worth $40.

You see, Todd McFarlane told me to spend my 40 bones on his stuff instead, and he’s a local businessman. Being that I support local businesses, I obliged the man and he was quite gracious of my support.

2 Likes

:joy: I will always support McFarlane.

2 Likes

Good man!

You know, if he ever does an Elvira figure, I might just buy it and put it in my Multiverse collection.

Do it in the name of local business Todd, do it…

2 Likes

I’m buying as many as possible while living well below the poverty line!!! Food or a McFarlane figure…? McFarlane figure please…

3 Likes