House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne

A weak link was bound to happen. I think if the other Hill House books didn’t exist and I didn’t have anything to compare it to, I might have liked this more.

1 Like

Exactly. It’s still a great read. I’ll reread or read any other volumes that might come out. Basketful of Heads, Plunge, Dollhouse extraordinary. Also loved The Kitchen, which I think was from this club. If not, it was a staff pick, or both. Not Hill House but loved it. Excited for Soul Plumber!!!

2 Likes

Soul Plumber was good. We read issue 1 the week it came out as it is on DCUI same day as release!

The Kitchen was more of a crime story and haven’t read it here. There is also a movie and that was okay, which has sort of caused me not to read the comic. I am assuming it will be better than the movie though.

1 Like

Idk there was a movie? Ty for the heads up. Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the comic. Hope u like it? Hard for me to judge on some. But, I think it’s great especially for one u don’t hear much about!?!?

3 Likes

Read Conjuring #3, I liked it. The main story went real fast. Jessica is really losing it. Her tormentor is really in her face now. Good cliffhanger at the end. The ads were full page this time less like the old ads. The backup was written by Tim Seelly of Hack/Slash fame. Lesson learned if your nurse tells you your kid is the Devil listen to her.

2 Likes

Soul Plumber was incredible! I was thrown off at first, definitely not what I was expecting but what a cast of characters. Edgar, Scuzz and Elk are all great. I think it’s great that Edgar’s machine worked due to his faith, which is what the salesman was clearly lacking

2 Likes

The Witching Hour #13 was pretty good. The three witches are at it again but they brought along Cain and Able for New Year Eve. Egor even got in on the story telling. The first story told by Modred was the Maze. Tells the story of an amnesia stricken man, Harold Martin Beedle who is told by a disjointed voice to wander a bizarre maze to either live or die.

Mildred tells the next tale, The Accursed Clay. This story follows a failed sculptor, Delano, who is given another chance by a mysterious man who gives him magic clay. He is promised it will help him create a piece of art for the ages. This new ability is met with tragedy as the clay captures the deaths of several bystanders. What should a man who seeks greatness do?

Next up we have Cynthia who tells the story of a compatriot of Paul Revere, Abner Pringle who while going to warn the British is coming ends up in modern days but won’t be deterred from his mission and tries to warn Americans of the impending invasion.

Finally we have Egor’s tale of a princess who is trapped in a swamp by a wizard, who needs saving by a nobleman.

I enjoyed the stories they each tried to be surprising in their own way with a twist at the end. I feel they were pretty successful. What did the Horror Hounds think of the Witching Hour #13?

3 Likes

I haven’t experienced either the comic or the movie. The movie looked pretty good with Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish taking over their fallen mob husbands business.

1 Like

I love Haddish

1 Like

I haven’t read this one yet. I have a feeling that will change in the future though!

3 Likes

The great thing about these anthologies is that you don’t need to read the previous books.

3 Likes

I read Elvira House of Mystery #5. The House still wants Elvira to find Cain, and Elvira is still ignoring it.

The House told a story about a theme park worker who wouldn’t get the employee of the week award. He found out the consequences of making children’s entertainment look bad.

Next Elvira told her own story about a wealthy bride and her groom’s honeymoon where her childhood home haunts their special first moments together. Can their love overcome?

2 Likes

That Knight on a horse scenario u could see coming from a mile away, but it was still great when it happened!!!

1 Like

Who designed that clock? Why would the clock builder put an actual lance on a clock decoration?

1 Like

Haha, apparently just for that scene? lol.

1 Like