House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man

This goes for me, too. I usually don’t like gruesome horror stuff, but if it has character and heart (along with hearts :wink:), then I’m usually in for the ride and ultimately enjoy the end result.

3 Likes

I have found the more gruesome stuff that we have read is in the pages of the Hill House books but those have had some great characters and stories. Speaking of which, Hill House is returning with Refrigerator Full of Heads! Basketful of Heads was a fun b-movie style romp so I can’t wait for the sequel, even if Joe Hill isn’t writing it.

4 Likes

Yeah, I yammer about gruesome stuff, then read the Hill House books and really enjoy 'em. :man_shrugging:

They’ve got personality in spades though, so that helps.

3 Likes

That’s awesome news. That was one of my favorite ones!!!

2 Likes

Just the cover alone makes me excited!

4 Likes

I remember when the New 52 was announced and solicits showing what these books would be my reaction when I saw Resurrection Man was, to borrow from another franchise:

I legit thought this was a new creation or something. This is a book I’ve always meant to try out, because the concept is really intriguing, but I just never got around to it. I’m definitely going to try and get into this one. :smiley:

4 Likes

Fun Fact: The commonality between Resurrection Man and the first Guardians flick?

Writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (known as “D&A” by some, for those unaware).

Abnett and Lanning’s 2008-debuting volume of Guardians of the Galaxy set the tone for the MCU iteration of the team.

Personally, their run on Guardians is my favorite. It took a concept that was kind of silly and turned it into a continually engaging space opera that was among Marvel’s best output throughout its run.

sees the Body Doubles by the bar, then quietly slouches into a booth to continue his RM re-read

2 Likes

Man, I need to get into that whole Marvel cosmic line that Guardians started with. The whole cosmic side of Marvel in general I have a bit of a blind spot on outside of what I’ve seen in the movies.

3 Likes

Marvel’s cosmic books from Annihilation and the like forward were really awesome (especially the Nova ongoing that came from that time, as I love Nova).

Definitely among my favorite Marvel schtuff at the time those titles debuted.

2 Likes

I read Resurrection Man back when it was in print. I think I was one of maybe seven people who did.

4 Likes

It was not a popular book in the least. The 7 issues read this week were good but unbalanced. There was a moment that I thought it would go down the road of Witchblade, being a balance between good and evil. In fact, it seems that was the case. Of course, they had to make him a superhero because of comic book logic.

One of the things that I enjoyed, but this comes from my love of schlocky b-movies, was the cheesy moments or even the sometimes exploitive nature of the Body Doubles.

4 Likes

I can’t remember, and I’m claiming no expertise, especially in New 52, but… didn’t they make him a “hero” because of his involvement in JLD at the time? Is that the comic logic?

4 Likes

So you were that guy at the shop in the Fall of 2011 while I was going through my stack of books for the week on New Comics Day, who said “Resurrection Man, huh? Cool, I like that one, too.”

I’m sorry I didn’t stay and chat, but you sure seemed friendly. :slight_smile: :wink:

4 Likes

I didn’t actually. :smirk:

I was a slacker and bought the trade when it was released. It’d already been canceled, but Abnett can be good sometimes. Not in this case, but it does happen.

4 Likes

I believe he was in JLD for like an issue. I have to go back and read that, especially since that first arc is being read in Justice League Book Club right now.

4 Likes

says “Slacker!” via his best Principal Strickland impression

Just don’t go audition your band for Huey Lewis, m’kay? M’kay.

2 Likes

Finished the first arc and I really enjoyed this! Mitch has a great power set that definitely makes for some surprising and unexpected moments, and I’m curious to see just how his powers work and how he actually got them.

The supporting cast was also cool. The “Body Doubles” are fun antagonists for Mitch – while I can understand if people who are more adverse to cheesecake might not be into them, but the idea of sending these seemingly immortal assassins after the guy who never stays dead is cool, and we see enough hints of their backstory to show they’re more than just T&A. The Transhuman and the angel that was after Mitch were also pretty cool.

So yeah, definitely looking forward to reading through the rest of this series. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, The Body Doubles, while appearing as cheesecake, were actually solid villains for Mitch. I can’t wait to see what you thought of the second half, especially the ending.

2 Likes

I am trying to play catch-up and finished the first arc. I really liked this series so far. The Body Doubles are great. I can’t imagine lying in a bed of bullets would be terribly comfortable though. I’m a sucker for quick regeneration characters. I also like the concept of the lost past and trying to discover it. Also a fan of all the other supporting characters Suriel and Transhuman. The only issue I have with Resurrection Man is he kind of dies too much. Feels like the Planeteers in Captain Planet, they just don’t seem to use their powers to their full extent.

3 Likes

I mean, dying and coming back with a different power is literally his thing. That’s like saying Hawkman is flying too much.

3 Likes