House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man

:house_of_horror: Greetings, Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

It has been a hectic week here at the House of Horror. We had our first “special” edition of House of Horror where we are reading The Sandman drop over the weekend. There is no time frame to finish those books, so sit back, relax, and enjoy some excellent storytelling.

Welcome back to our regularly scheduled programming!

@LaserPuff and I would like to welcome our newest member @rrubinate.44004 to the House of Horror. I hope you find your stay enjoyable. I would stay out of the cemetery in the backyard as you never know what might jump out from a grave.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every HOH EVER!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

As you all know, we have been celebrating The New 52’s 10th anniversary along with many other clubs throughout the DC Community. After wrapping up Rotworld last week @LaserPuff and I was at a crossroads. Do we continue with New 52 horror or do we go elsewhere? At the end of the day, New 52 won.

This week we will be reading Resurrection Man. This is was an interesting revival as I can’t say this was a popular character. At least, that is how I thought about Resurrection Man. Resurrection Man’s first appearance was in Ressurection Man 1 released in 1997. The New 52 incarnation and the first series of Resurrection Man were co-written by Andy Lanning and Dan Abnett. These are the very same writers that brought us the Elseworld classic, that also sort of dealt with resurrection, The Superman Monster.

This writing team has also written 2006’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre released by Wildstorm.

Needless to say, I think these writers were a great choice for The New 52 Dark line. Now that we have The Sandman on DCUI, I think I will start lobbying for that Wildstorm horror line to be added to our library!

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
Resurrection Man 1 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 2 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 3 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 4 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 5 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 6 (2011) (rated 15+)

Resurrection Man 7 (2011) (rated 15+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you thought of the first Resurrection Man story arc!

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

:house_of_horror: 9/28/2021 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New to DCUI 9/28/2021 :house_of_horror:

6 Likes

I LOVE the Body Doubles. Haven’t seen em around since Nightwing. Need to learn more about Resurrection Man too. I’ll be reading these. Ty @D4RK5TARZ!!! Got it bookmarked…

4 Likes

You have no idea how happy I am when we can find a title you haven’t read on here!!!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :rofl: You have no idea how happy “I’ am” when u find one lol. I’m going to read that very, very soon. Little busy today but still could. If not tomorrow for sure. I loved (I know there’s plenty of versions of Resurrection Man) him in Peter David’s Supergirl run, &, in Underworld Unleashed. Those were 2 completely different versions but both were great. I’ve only lightly dabbled in his solo titles so those are wide open. Ty for being excited for me btw!!! Appreciate that more than u know. Times have been tough. Just a simple kindness like that goes a long way with me. Especially when life’s got me down & won’t stop kicking me.

3 Likes

I agree 100%! I have had a rough week or two and I don’t see an end in sight. So I have been on here trying to forget about things and looking forward to Cinema Wasteland on Oct. 1 in Strongsville.

3 Likes

I’m right there with ya buddy. At least we’re suffering together if that’s any consolation? I almost didn’t visit the site today, cuz I was afraid I’d be unfairly angry towards someone. After my Zatanna shirt arrived early & I realized Titans & Doom Patrol were on today- I changed my mind. Probably gonna read some Resurrection Man now, than even more tomorrow.

3 Likes

Woo, more 10th anniversary New 52 Wave 1 goodness! :partying_face: :batparrot:

As Kevin (aka “Bizarro Jerry”, on Seinfeld) once said, “Me so happy!” :hugs:

I dug this book when it debuted, so I’m only too happy to finally re-read it, 10 years later.

adds thread to his club reading pile

Two things:

• A. Everything tasting like metal would suck.

• 2. Resurrection Man would work so well as a TV series. Anyone else agree? A show of resurrected hands, please…

3 Likes

:raised_hand:t2::raised_back_of_hand:t5: :ok_hand: :+1: I just finished the 1st eight issue arc. Idk Waller was gonna send me on a crossover mission after #8!?!? I’m excited. Absolutely awesome read. I’ll be finishing it, in it’s entirety. The art is incredible. Was so happy my girls Carmen & Bonnie the Body Doubles were in it. I’ve missed them. Last time we spoke, they were fighting Nightwing. Taste of metal would/ does suck. I don’t have superpowers. But, I’ve been in enough rumbles to know that blood in the mouth tastes extremely metallic lol.

Plus another reason to love it @Vroom. I just discovered the home of (Dr. Pepper excluded & talking fictional pops) your favorite, Soder Cola.

2 Likes

See kids, Soder is a brand of soda within the DCU.

…and a darn good one, too. I’m going to go grab one, anyone else want?

goes into the Cafe '80s and orders a Soder

2 Likes

:joy::joy::rofl::rofl::+1:

1 Like

Read it all today buddy!!! Just finished. Ty for that one. Absolutely loved it!!

1 Like

I felt the need to specify that Soder was, and is, in fact, a brand of soda in the DCU because it seems that some people think “soder” was just slang for “soda”.

When “Soder” is said in a DC context, it’s referring to a specific brand, and is not a generic, slang term.

The more you know! :stars: :stars:

takes a slug from a Cherry Soder, then sees the Body Doubles walk into the Cafe '80s

Uh-oh…

2 Likes

:joy: oh man I’m so in love with Bonnie & Carmen!!!

2 Likes

If McFarlane makes a two-pack of them in the Multiverse line, I’m buyin’.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. That would be an automatic. Definitely be a new record, for how fast I could go from cart to checkout online.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the first 7 issues of Resurrection Man. I do think the first few books were a little better than the last half of what we read this week. Those books had a 90s comics vibe mixed with 90s horror movie vibe and I am a fan of both of those things. The Arkham Asylum story was okay but maybe the weakest link. It wasn’t bad by any means and it helped move the story forward but it also seemed to take the story with the Body Doubles off track. I am sure they will pop up again later in the series.

2 Likes

I read all of it & now I’m on 1997 lol. I absolutely love the Body Doubles. Got the best pics I’ll ever get of them from the 2007 one, for my Just Gorgeous thread. Made me very happy.

2 Likes

Well, next week will be books you haven’t read now… :rofl:

The one thing I enjoy about your posts, knowing you aren’t a big horror fan, is how much you embrace and enjoy these books. It is a whole corner of comics that you wouldn’t normally consider reading but you take a chance.

2 Likes

Ty. & thanks to u & @LaserPuff you’re exactly right. It’s awesome :sunglasses:. Haven’t been lead wrong once. Thoroughly enjoying everything u put up!!!

2 Likes