House of Horror 28 - Low, Low Woods

Wow thats a lot of books to read! I looked at the list real quick and I’m pretty sure I’ve only read (and loved) Mystik U

3 Likes

That was a great miniseries!!! I remember my biggest complaint is that we never saw the conclusion of Zatanna’s story as it was set up to be completed in another book that never happened.

4 Likes

Issue #1, that was interesting. I don’t know what it was, but it was interesting. It’s as much a mystery as a horror story, which I guess is true of the last two books and much of horror anyway, but for whatever reason the mystery element of this struck more more than usual.

2 Likes

I agree, the mystery element, especially in the first book, is strong. I think it is around book 3 that is sort of slides into a mystery with Vertigo House of Mystery style side story.

2 Likes

I do have a question for everyone. Do you think this story would have worked in another decade besides the '90’s?

From an EW interview Carmen Maria Machado had this to say:

“I just like the idea of queer characters from the past being able to live their lives,” Machado says. “Whether you think of that as fantasy or not, it’s really interesting to me. I liked the idea of them being able to live their sweet, queer, ‘90s lives without actually having that anxiety. I mean they have a lot of problems in these six issues, there’s a lot going on, but homophobia is not one of them.”

1 Like

pride

2 Likes

Looking back, I remember those particular Wildstorm books to be pretty decent (and that’s coming from a guy who traditionally isn’t into more graphic horror content).

If Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash should hit digital sometime, I’d be in for a re-read of it. I only read #1 when it came out and it was…different. I disliked it more than liked it, but I’m eager to try it again.

As for The Low, Low Woods, its on my list. I’m also curious about the forthcoming Sandman/Locke & Key two issue mini. That looks like it’ll be a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Issues 0 and 1 are out now, maybe even issue 2?

2 Likes

D’oh! :man_facepalming:

I see that #'s 0 and 1 are out. It looks like several months have gone between the two. Is that normal for the series, or due to delays?

Since it’s “Locke & Key/Sandman”, I gather DCUI won’t get this one, as the DC/other publisher crossovers only come here when their title starts with a DC property (barring some legal agreement that DC could make with IDW to have it here, especially with the Sandman show on the way to Netflix).

2 Likes

The crossover was on here for like a week. Then they pulled due to licensing agreements.

3 Likes

Yep, figured that would happen.

resumes reading TLLW

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve read Jonah Hex yet. Any recommendations?

3 Likes

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/jonah-hex-16/9ff53e24-0994-4127-8d5c-4fdb835ee6a6/

Quick two-parter starting here introducing the great Tallulah Black

2 Likes

The decade feels appropriate. I feel like the 90s was a time where there were pocket of people in communities who were starting to be accepting with peoples sexuality. The thing that I think is appealing to any author about writing in older decades is that there aren’t any cell phones. You can get a whole lot of plot out of people not being able to call for help, look things up, call to clear up a misunderstanding.

I really liked the feeling of acceptance that was going on throughout the story. Their parents seem to be fine with everything that is going on.

Originally when I read the beginning at the theater with Josh I thought his responses were backhanded comments about them being lesbians but they were obviously much more sinister as we find out later.

3 Likes

Same. I figured it was 90s homophobia at its best.

I was born in the 80s but grew up more in the 90s, by two years. I can say that in the mid to late '90s some good friends had lesbian moms. There was one mom that lived with a guy as cover I think? Then Ellen came out on her show and that guy disappeared pretty soon after. Sadly, they moved away in my 9th grade year. My other friend that had a lesbian mom was interesting. She would always talk about “Jerry” and I never met Jerry before. When I finally did meet Jerry, it was a woman named Jeri. They got a good laugh at my expense because I was expecting some guy named Jerry. All of that to say, I agree about the pockets of people and communities.

3 Likes

I have never been accused of being terribly observant. I’ve always worked on the premise that if someone wanted me to know what was going on they would tell me. I never wanted to be that guy who jumped to conclusions about someone and found out I was completely wrong. Not that it ever really mattered to me either way.

Growing up in a suburban town in the middle of nowhere I didn’t get much exposure to people who were out about their sexuality. I think I know why they weren’t though. I found out later than the mayor of our town was a klu kux klan member. I do not remember people being terribly uptight about it, though I found out later that a friend back then was harassed.

Later in life I do have fond memories of hanging out at the university and scoping out chicks with a friend who came out to me after I tried hitting on her.

2 Likes

Those Jonah Hex books were excellent. Loved the Tallulah Black character. They did a great job showing her progression into the depths of revenge. The dangers of the wild west seemed to be unending for the poor lady. I really enjoyed the target practice session she had with one of the criminals. Thanks for the suggestion it was excellent!

3 Likes

I’ll tell you the other Tallulah stories when I check the spreadsheet in a few days. She shows up periodically and she’s such a great character and plays well off Jonah.

4 Likes

Definitely send them my way! I’d like to read more about these two bounty hunters, I assume that she is going to follow in his footsteps.

3 Likes

Oh yes

1 Like