House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1 (3/4-3/10)

Not a problem!

1 Like

Iā€™m late, but I finished up JLA/Spectre: Soul War. Overall pretty decent stuff ā€“ JLA at the time was always dealing with stuff that was borderline metaphysical, and this keeps up with that tradition. The Trans as antagonists were interesting, though they really couldnā€™t be called that nowadays without DC getting some massive heat.

I forget who it was who complained about the Batman usage, but I can kind of see it. While he and Hal definitely have a lot of drama that makes for some interesting interactions, Jā€™onn is probably a better fit for the sort of antagonists they were going after. It was cool to see Kyle get a big of a spotlight during the second issue.

1 Like

You are most welcome. Happy to be of assistance!

Truth be told, while Iā€™ve known of this story for years, I actually hadnā€™t read it until just a few days ago. Like you, I wasnā€™t expecting the body horror but it meshed well and never felt gross or out of place. Overall, a very solid read.

1 Like

I agree, the body horror never got to Cronenberg levels of grossness and it was fitting with the story.

I also recently finished Plunge and overall I really liked it. Similar to Basketful of Heads, it did what it set out to do with a sort of The Thing-esque body horror story, but in a way that I didnā€™t expect. The characters were all strong and three dimensional, which made it all the harder when they were killed off or make noble sacrifices.

Oh! And a detail I forgot to mention about Soul War. I remember when we covered that digital first Ghost story that I wish that Spectre would get an update on his costume, because a ghost with green undies just doesnā€™t scream ā€œdark specter of vengeanceā€ to me. I will say that I like Halā€™s version of the costume a LOT more. I mean, itā€™s basically Halā€™s GL green costume of his classic costume but black, but I think it works so much better.

1 Like

This is a rarity in horror movies, let alone comics. It really speaks to the strengths of Joe Hill.

1 Like