House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine (2/4-2/16)

I remember reading this one and just thinking it was ok. I was reading your thoughts on each story and my memory is in rose-colored lenses. Especially that Frankenstein story. It is weird how you don’t realize if something has actually made an impact on you until months later. I think maybe closing with The Creature Commandos just left a bad taste?

2 Likes

Sorry, should have made it more clear – the rest of the stories I liked, the last one I just thought was “eh.” Honestly, I feel like James Robinson, who wrote that story, is one of the more overrated big names in the industry.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember really disliking that last story as well. That is why I am now wondering if that left a bad taste for the entire book for me.

2 Likes

Basketful of Heads ended up being one of the most enjoyable new Horror stories I’ve read in a long time. The pacing is great, the atmosphere and tone remind me of an 80s Horror flick, and the characters are enjoyable to watch. June being the main character was a bit of a surprise at first but was a great lead. If I have to be nit-picky, I would like a clearer explanation of why the axe is able to do what it does. Maybe not an exposition dump, but something. We get a little bit of musing about what Viking legend the axe is connected to, but it doesn’t really touch on the main focus of the title. Regardless, I highly enjoyed this book,

3 Likes

I was same brain wave…But the head full books are so good…horror is, I wouldn’t say my least favorite? Cuz I love it. I just don’t indulge as much as I should? I used to watch serial killer shows with 2 of my friends. Then I had to quit b/c I got desensitized. Those shows do that? You start getting involved in the program, cuz that’s what brains do? Then u/I forget it’s awful things happening…lol. These have a good comic reasoning as to why the heads. Not just a fee for all killer by nature…

1 Like