House of Crime 58 - The Kitchen

Also, is The Kitchen on HBOMax? I have it in my Vudu library, and to be honest, I hardly go to HBOMax for DC Content because I have so much I own that I am catching up on.

5 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be on HBO.

Looks like it is a rental on Amazon, Microsoft or Google Play, iTunes.

6 Likes

I am not sure if I would want to do a Watch Party for a movie that people would have to rent or purchase before hand. If it was on a subscription service I would be more open for that.

6 Likes

As General Zod so famously once said “Heresy!”

:wink:

4 Likes

Why would I need to?

(I need to add my newest acquisitions - Super Friends!)

5 Likes

A few choice reasons:

• Justice is Gray edition of the Snyder Cut
  • Lois & Clark in HD
  • Super Friends in HD
  • the original shows (Harley Quinn and Peacemaker, which is in 4K, alone make it worthwhile)

All of their combined DC content takes up 0 shelf space, which allows room for trades, toys and what have you (and this is coming from a guy who used to have a very large, multi-format, physical home video collection, DC and otherwise).

4 Likes

I do watch certain DC things on HBO. My collection is all digital on Vudu, you can click the link that I have provided above to see why I would say that. Minus Justice League and Peacemaker, at this point in time, there isn’t much reason for me to frequent it. I also don’t have to worry about movies rotating out with Vudu.

4 Likes

Vudu is schway.

At least they were, back when Walmart owned them.

I haven’t bought anything from them since the Fandango acquisition.

Nothing against Fandango. I’ve just chosen to buy and rent from elsewhere.

3 Likes

It’s the same just different owners. They are slowly changing to make a point if a movie is on sale at an “first time” low price which is also nice.

4 Likes

Say, can you use a Fandango gift card on Vudu?

Been wondering that, but I keep forgetting to look into it.

3 Likes

I think so? It is technically Fandango.

4 Likes

I would think they’d work.

Just asking for when my Santas ask about gift cards I’d like for this Christmas.

3 Likes

Here is an answer!

4 Likes

taps link with rampant enthusiasm, then reads The Stuff

I figured Fandango cards would work, but thanks for the confirmation, Ace. :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Just saw this & idk there was a movie? lol. The comic was great tho. I think I might reread & watch it. I remember it now that I’m looking at it. But, idk it was a comic, let alone DC/ Vertigo title at the time. The movie that is. The comic was great & it does double perfectly as a screenplay.

4 Likes

This was a fun read! I liked the colors, the art captured the 70s vibe pretty perfectly. I liked that it was a kind of fresh take on the mob genre. I wish the last issue didn’t feel so rushed, but outside of that I loved it.

For people who have watched the movie - is it a comedy? I was kind of shocked to see the cast because this comic didn’t really have much humor and those are some funny ladies. I can see how they could turn it into a comedy, but I am intrigued still…

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say so. There might be funny moments but there were also moments that I found funny in the book.

You might have something here. It felt like they could have expanded on the story for just a tad longer. Then again, I could see why they wouldn’t do that.

5 Likes

I watched a documentary on Hulu last night called “For Madmen Only”. About Del Close. He invented improv comedy. Mentored anyone u can think of. Belushi, Ackroyd, Murray, Farley, Fey. He directed 2nd city starting with the 1st cast of SNL. But, the majority of the story focused on Wasteland, & his relationship with Gold & Ostrander. All the storylines were either true, or based on truth. So the crazy extreme stuff is just them (Gold & Ostrander) putting a comic-spin on his stories. Or, they actually happened as told. They showed all kinds of pics of people in the comics that were real people (most famous) in his life/stories. Can’t wait to read it with a new perspective!!!

5 Likes

Now that is pretty cool. I have been so wrapped up in reading Strangers of Paradise, I haven’t really watched tv and literally the only comics I have read since last Thursday have been written by Terry Moore. I think I can finish everything by this weekend and then I can get back on my normally scheduled reading and tv watching.

4 Likes

I’m in the same place reading -wise. As far as I usually read on Tuesday’s. I do read a little outside of that…but majority is Tuesday. But, I have been watching tv lol. It’s on Hulu, but it might be on other streaming devices? It’s sooo good!!! I watched it b/c it said, verbatim, “ If you’ve never heard of Del Close? Congratulations, you’re not a comedian “. So, since I consider myself a student of comedy… I was watching it thinking this is gonna be about some genius who mentored basically anyone “huge” as far as comedy. Despite the names above: they also include Steve Carrel, & Colbert, Dana Carvey, Robert Smigel etc. So Smigel created Ace & Gary on the Dana Carvey Show. The network wouldn’t air it. Carel & Colbert are their voices. So, eventually, Smigel returned to SNL & Ace & Gary were reborn. Also, he’s the voice of Triumph the insult comic dog. So I went in expecting “all of that”. But, unbelievably…almost the entire show was Gold & Ostrander (actors) sitting in his house with him- while he talked about all the crazy #$&* he did & that became Wasteland. It’s like a hidden DC doc with a background of how the biggest names in comedy got to the top. Btw, not talking out of school. Del Close was certifiably insane. They focus on that big time in it as well. But, the stories in Wasteland are true, or based on his life experiences.

3 Likes