Holy Smokes! DC Daily loves ALL the Robins!

Dick certainly deserves a position of respect for his long tenure in the role. He will always be the default Robin, even if I find his tenure to be comparatively underdeveloped.

He had shown up in a costume during “A Lonely Place of Dying,” but he didn’t get his own costume until the end of the three-part Grant/Breyfogle story “Identity Crisis” (not to be confused with the later miniseries of the same name).* That’s also the story where Batman finally relented and gave him the job after months of saying, “Not yet.” (Granted, we may be splitting hairs in discussing when Tim “had the job.” I’m going off of when Batman actually allowed him to start donning the costume.)

*This story was Grant’s first after switching from 'Tec to Batman, and it was a direct sequel to the story that killed Tim’s mother and nearly killed his father, “Rite of Passage.” All of this useless knowledge came to me thanks to this month’s World of Bats Drake-athon. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think they’re all great in their own ways. Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian. All great you can’t just pick one.

5 Likes

Yes!

But I did!

Just kidding…I like them all very much myself, but in a sort of hierarchy with Tim on top as my favorite.

1 Like

I do think Alan Grant at least considered the idea that a Robin needed a tragic backstory:

Tec 619 Tim

He does admittedly leave it ambiguous. (And I might argue against the idea simply because Carrie Kelley’s life, while hardly ideal, doesn’t quite cross the line into tragic.)

Speaking of which, my top 4 Robins are:

1. Jay
  2. Damian
  3. Dick
  4. Carrie

The rest are fine. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

My point was that it wasn’t his tragic background that prompted him to become Robin (or to start training to become Robin if we’re still splitting hairs :slightly_smiling_face:).

I have a list, here’s the order of my list that it’s in: It goes…

Tim
Dick
Jason
Damian (although he’s quickly catching up to Jason…as Robin, leaving Red Hood out of it).
Carrie
Stephanie
The We Are Robin gang

Like I said, I like them all, but if I had to start eliminating Robins I would do it from the bottom up.

7 Likes

Dick Greyson is the bestest and most nicest. He is the one true wonder boy! But in all honesty I love Damian the most.

5 Likes

Holy Multiple Robins, Batman!
insert Neal Hefti’s Batman theme here

Dick Grayson is a cool cat, but Tim Drake has been my favorite since I was a little kid.

From buying Robin v1 #1 (with the nifty Neal Adams poster to boot!) at a comic store, to buying Tim’s very first action figure (from the Batman Returns line) at Target, then seeing his outfit in BTAS and Batman Forever (even though it was Dick in both cases) to following him in No Man’s Land in high school and then his changes through the '00s, Tim is my dude and then some.

I find Tim’s current Drake identity to be a bit goofy. Maybe Damian will take on a new mantle, which will then allow Tim to secure his best handle and soar once more! One can hope, which is exactly what Robin’s best quality is.

5 Likes

I like all the Robins, including the ones who people often forget were Robin (Steph, Carrie, Duke and the We Are Robin crew, etc.), but Jason long ago stole my heart as though it were the tires of the Batmobile.

I’m going to ignore his Red Hood identity for now, because this thread is about Robins, and focus on him as Robin. I love a lot about Jason as Red Hood, but I think a lot of people now just see the Red Hood and assume the character starts and ends there. Jason’s Robin run gets squished down to a short, sad story: tires, warning signs, death.

His history as Robin gets retconned horribly. The kid who said he never wanted to be a criminal and was just stealing to survive becomes the kid who was destined to become a “third strike lifer at Blackgate” if Batman hadn’t intervened, something which is somehow always implied to be because he was a bad kid and not because he was thrown into bad circumstances. Acting like a kid becomes being a “whiny snot.” Getting angry at people who abuse women and children becomes being “reckless and violent.”

But I love Post-Crisis Jason. And he was a good Robin. He was bold and scrappy and had the guts to steal the tires off the Batmobile, and he made Batman laugh on the anniversary of his parents’ death. He stole tires to survive, but ran away from Ma Gunn’s school when it turned out to be a ‘Kindergarten for crime’ and took it on himself to try to stop it when Ma Gunn was planning a museum robbery for her own gain and he didn’t think Batman would believe him. He got angry at Two-Face for killing his father, but took him in by the book and even said he just pitied him. He spouted off bad puns and quipped wittily and got nervous about being abandoned and replaced by Dick or Catwoman but still did his best to be a good Robin. He tried to stop a missile launch and accidentally got stuck on top of it alongside Elongated Man. He got shot a bunch of times by the Mad Hatter and said he didn’t want to give up being Robin anyway. He stopped his classmates from changing their grades on a computer and loved books and history and got a 94.8(!) average in school and wanted to join the drama club but didn’t have any time for extracurricular activities because he was busy being Robin.

And when he took a turn for the violent, he was explicitly reacting to the things he’d seen. He lost it on a pimp who was abusing one of the women working for him at the same time that Batman and Robin were failing to bring a serial killer who targeted women to justice, and during the whole sequence expressed his disgust with the man’s gendered slurs and treatment of her. He got hugely upset when he discovered Gloria and what Felipe had done to her, and went after him out of grief and rage at him terrorizing her to the point where she did something I can’t mention without running afoul of the board filters. He dove into a ring of people who targeted children in one of the worst ways possible like a kid with a death wish, because he was so angry and frustrated and grieving everything. And Batman explicitly called it out as out of character for him and an apparent reaction to grief.

He was so desperate for any type of connection that he latched onto the knowledge his birth mother was out there like a drowning man to a life preserver. He searched for her and was willing to accept whatever he found, even when the candidate was Lady Shiva herself. His first comment when he found his birth mother had abandoned him at birth because she didn’t think she could win the custody fight was to express how hard that must have been for her. When he found out she was being blackmailed by the Joker, he immediately rushed to help her. He trusted her when she told him the Joker was gone and followed her. And in the end, after she’d betrayed him, when the bomb was down to one second left and he knew it was the end, he threw himself on the bomb to try to shield the mother who betrayed him from the blast.

He was Robin, and it was magic.

11 Likes

That was beautiful!

4 Likes

And here’s “the Batman of elseworlds” with another Robin I don’t see on anyone’s lists. Mat McGinnis!

5 Likes

Dick Grayson!

Dick is one of my favorite characters. I liked him as Robin, but I also like his relationship with the other Robins (especially Damian). I think Dick stands out both as a sidekick and as a Robin, because that role was his own. He didn’t become Batboy or wear a costume based on his mentor’s motif. Robin was born from Dick Grayson, and his personality was able to shine alongside the Bat instead of in his shadow. Eventually transitioning out of the sidekick role made sense because, as Batman says in Hush, Dick was born to be in the center ring.

I find Jason’s story to be interesting and tragic. With his relatively recent return as Red Hood, I think there are a lot of great stories and dynamics with the rest of the Batfamily to be explored. Looking forward to 3 Jokers!

I liked the idea of Tim being a Robin for the sake of being Robin, Batman’s sidekick, in order to help people. He wasn’t motivated by personal trauma and he wasn’t Bruce’s ward/adopted son. He had his own family and life separate from the mask and Bruce’s world. (Sigh… that changed.)

On the flip side, I like Damian being Bruce’s biological son. I like seeing him struggle between the morals/teachings of his two families. I also really, REALLY liked him as Dick’s Robin. Their dynamic was great and reversing the typical Batman and Robin dynamic was fun to read. I think he’s the only Robin to have two Batmans (at least long enough to explore their different dynamics… I don’t really remember that relationship being highlighted in the AzBat and Prodigal storylines).

10 Likes

Tim’s always been my favorite, probably because he was closest to my age when he first appeared, and I could relate to him, being the smart kid, with all kinds of problems. He was the one that was there because he wanted to be, but he was also more independent.

I’m not a huge fan of Damian. Robin’s have always been sort of a type of wish fulfillment for the reader, and a mirror of the world around them. Dick was a circus performer that got a chance to work with the Batman! How cool and exciting was that in the 40s?

In the 80s Dick grew up, and was replaced by a sign of the times. A tough street kid, Jason. Jason was edgier, was rougher around the edges, and was kind of a mirror of the economic times.

Tim came round in the 90s and he was the polar opposite of Jason, he was more analytical, more positive, and came from a good home.

Briefly we got Stephanie who was almost a female cross between Jason and Tim. She shared Jason’s troubled upbringing (as the cluemaster’s daughter), but Tim’s optimism, before Tim took the role back.

Now we have Damian. I’m not a fan of what the wish fulfillment sidekick to the Batman has become. A self absorbed spoiled trained assassin? Admittedly I’ve seen some growth, but I think having Robin be Batman’s blood related son, and at the same time his ideological opposite just kinda soured the character for me.

3 Likes

I gotta go with Dick Grayson, if there was no Dick Grayson then there would’ve been no Robin. I’ve been a fan of Robin when Burt Ward played him on the 1966 Batman Reruns.:slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

DIck Grayson is the ICON.

Bruce Wayne Jr is ANOTHER STORY

Earth 2 Richard will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

Jason Todd is VENGENCE

Carrie Kelly is HOPE IN THE DARKNESS

Tim Drake is THE HERO

Stephanie Brown NEVER REALLY GOT A FAIR SHOT

Helena Wayne ROCKS

Damian Wayne is JUST KINDA THERE

8 Likes

Dick Grayson. One of the first Teen Titans and the first boy wonder. He’s the trend setter.

4 Likes

My boy Dick is the best. He’s the first Robin I saw in Teen Titans the cartoon and in the comics (The first comics I read were Teen Titans: Year One and Robin: Year One). He’s upbeat, funny, and he’s got the best butt in the DCU.

He also just has the best relationship with Bruce as the first child and the only one who can truly relate to him, having also watched the murder of his parents and being by Bruce’s side for the longest time of the Robins.

5 Likes

LOL.

3 Likes

While Dick was the original and could be the best, I have grown quite fond of Damien over the years. When he was first introduced, I hated the character and the idea. Now I don’t know if reading a new Batman comic would be the same without him!

4 Likes

It’s gotta be Grayson. The sequel is rarely better then the original & in this case …remains true. Sometimes a part 4 or 5 is as good as the original. Which is Damian at #5 but #2 for me. If you have al Ghul & Wayne blood in your system. You’ve already won. Grayson #1 Damian #2.

3 Likes