Historical DC Battle Trivia: Monday 5/17/21 Fan Vote

Umm, huh?

5 Likes

Opps. My bad. To be honest, I haven’t been keeping up on my B’Man/Damian reading as of late. Been too focused on rereading BG/BOP back issues in prep for a special DCUI members gig that I’ll be unveiling soon.

Obviously, me falling behind on my reading doesn’t change the fact that BG’s never been a sidekick. Even when she was she was running across Gotham’s rooftops with the B’Man and his ward, she made it crystal clear that she was an equal partner. She’s a core BatFamily member (Bruce/Dick/Barbara/Alfred), she’s the cave’s hacker extraordinaire, but never, EVER a sidekick.

7 Likes

Seems I may have stepped on some toes by putting her in the poll. Question though would you ever consider Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain as a sidekick when they where going by Batgirl?

5 Likes

No. No offense taken. Just a common misconception regarding BG. :grinning: :+1:

Nope. They made the mantle their own. I also love how they both defer to Barb as ‘Batgirl Prime’ out of respect. Steph and Cass strive to be just as valuable a component to the BatFamily’s prime mission as Barb did when she wore the uniform, and in my mind that makes them equal partners as well.

6 Likes

I can’t disagree nor do I want to. You know your Batgirl!

5 Likes

Thank you Sir! :purple_heart:

BG DCSHG

6 Likes

Yeah I agree, except for that monstrosity that was Batgirl: New 52. I sometimes feel like sidekick can be somewhat of an insult and that’s why a lot of “sidekicks” quit. This is one of the reasons I like Dick and Bruce’s relationship a lot. He was more of a brother to Bruce but only when Dick left Bruce realized he had lost a son.

6 Likes

I co-sign all of this @TheRealDetectiveShoe. Plus- Dick, Tim, and Steph’s major motivation for donning the Robin costume was the pursuit of justice. Of course, Bruce wants justice, but his desire to see it carried out is fueled by anger; well, rage really. I imagine that it must’ve been very taxing on Dick and Tim and Steph to have to be exposed to B’Man’s super heavy emotional matrix night after night- talk about emotionally draining situations. Even Jason and Damian must’ve had a stopping point here and there, but not Bruce. That anger just billows within him, and it’s always just right below the surface.

I’ll never forget the look on Dick’s face when Bruce seemed like he was just about to rend the Joker apart limb from limb in the Arkham scene in the animated adaptation of Under The Red Hood.

There must’ve been so many dark nights back in the old days when Dick had to pull Bruce off of some baddie, had to pull him back from the edge. I think this is another element of Dick’s desire to separate from him and transform into Nightwing. Dick wants justice- B’Man wants revenge. These two things are not always mutually exclusive. Yep.

7 Likes

I was agreeing with the first half, I feel like Bruce when written well is driven by justice but it becomes a problem when he forgets the reason he put on the cowl. It was to save kids from ever turning out like him. Most Robins are volunteer, because of Bruce helping them they are able to help him from not becoming like the villains he fights. I feel bad for Bruce currently, over the course of City of Bane and Joker War he lost Alfred, he has close to no money, he can’t operate like he used to, his son left him and when he needs his family the most. the only one that comes is Harley Quinn.

7 Likes